The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

A touch of lazy (or uninformed) journalism/ blogging is reporting that we're interest in Gary Hooper, released by Sheffield Wednesday..... he's injury prone and 31 years old.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-among-clubs-set-to-rival-celtic-in-pursuit-of-forward/

Also allegedly on our radar is James Tavernier the Glasgow Rangers RB and captain... he's 27.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...villa-plot-swoop-to-sign-rangers-27-year-old/

Please feel free to treat these links with the contempt they deserve. Thank you.

Not sure how this Tavernier would fit with Guilbert coming in. I know the Bruce philosophy was to play four right backs, but I think Smith has a bit more nous.

It is possible the Rangers player might be used further forward I suppose.

No

Not sure how this Tavernier would fit with Guilbert coming in. I know the Bruce philosophy was to play four right backs, but I think Smith has a bit more nous.

It is possible the Rangers player might be used further forward I suppose.

No

I can see Bree going and Elmo is not getting any younger. So as a back up I can see it but only if we don’t get promoted.

There is strong indications in the Birmingham Mail tonight that we can add Blackett-Taylor, Mooney and Cox to the list of youngsters that have been sent packing. With Richards pending retirement and Carroll’s return to the Swans, 10 players will have left the squad one way or another.

I should imagine once our status for next season is known, most of the senior pros with expiring deals will go. Perhaps there are some arguments to retain Whelan and, possibly, Elphick.

Questions must also hang of possible sales of Nyland, Bjarnason, Gardner, Tshibola and Hogan. Even Grealish is a probable departee if we slip up and miss promotion.

It wouldn’t be beyond the imagination to see nigh on twenty in total move on. At the moment, I might guess at a figure just shy of that.

If we do manage to get past Derby in the final then I think who ought to take a punt on Jack Clarke from Leeds. Looks a cracking young player, better than our U23's coming through.
It also has the added bonus of winding their horrible fan base up

I saw a rumour that Leeds want Adomah. Of course, it's bullshit as neither club know which division they'll be in next season. Still, would you sell Adomah? He was on fire last season but he's been a bit part of things this season and he's 31 now.

He’s a spent force. Pity as he seems a nice guy and I did love the Leeds goal when he glided past their entire team ?

Wingers must be under review for next season. Will we opt to secure El Ghazi? Has Green got the potential Green to deliver consistently? Is Adomah over the hill?

Plenty of talk of Lolley, James and Andrade, but all will be influenced by the division we sit in.

Regardless of our final status, centre back, left back, defensive midfield, left wing, right wing and striker look like areas to strengthen. Some conversion of the loanees to permanent signings would address some of this, but it comes down to budget. However, I would be surprised if Abraham does become available and he seems intent on pressing his claims back at Chelsea anyway.

A few freebies might be worth considering too - Barbet, Knudsen, Cahill, El Ghazi (possibly), Powell and Hooper to name a few.

One problem with the play offs is the fact squad movement has to be put on hold. Mind you, I would rather have the chance at Wembley than not. UTV ??

If we manage to keep our best players next season, or most of them, reckon DS will be looking for wingers. El Ghazi is showing promise and can see him being kept. Adomah in spite of some good aspects to his game isn't near the dangerous player he was in the first part of last season and I can see him going. Green hasn't seized his chance; he has talent but doesn't seem to have the confidence to scare defences, which I'm sure he could do. We need better.

Back line, Alex will probably go whatever, but if we keep Mings and Hause and at least one of Chester and Elphick then all we need is another left back; think Taylor will stay but on his own he's not enough.

Abraham looks like going whatever. Kodj could be useful but we need an alternative as well and I don't think Davis is it. You have to have someone who will find the net if they just get a sniff of it. Maybe our Spanish contacts can turn something up.

In midfield even if Jack stays we need somebody who can take the load. McGinn provides loads of energy but loses track of options and too often runs into a dead end. Hourihane should stay; think he's improving a lot. Maybe Lansbury as backup, and Whelan can help out. But we really need that commanding midfielder who can drive forwards when necessary, somebody to complement Jack.

If we go up I'd sign Mings, Hause and another centre back. Let Elphick go. I'd let Hutton go, use this new French lad as number 1 right back with elmo in reserve. Sell Taylor and buy a good left back. I'd also sell nyland and kalinic and sign a top keeper.

Midfield is where we're strongest but I'd still bring in a defensive and attacking midfielder. Our wide I'd keep Green, sign El ghazi and buy 2 more good quality wingers.

Up front I'd sign tammy if possible and one other good quality striker. If Tammy is staying at Chelsea then we'd need 2. I'd keep Davis and sell Kodjia.

If we stay down then it's all different as we'd never be able to sign tammy or Mings. Nor keep Jack or possibly Mcginn. We'd need a huge rebuild but would at least have whatever money we'd get from Jack and hopefully a decent scouting system behind us.

Hause and El Ghazi I think will be signed no matter the league. I'd be curious to see what happens to Jedinak and Whelan.

Green and Davis probably will get loaned out if we make it to the EPL as will O'Hare. Its essential that they do IMO they must have consistent game time or its wasted potential.

Players out is as essential as players in. Midfield next season we'd get away without signing anyone if we were in the Championship but we'd be eaten alive without a decent DM in the EPL. It would be career suicide IMO for Dean Smith to not sign a foil behind the J's.

Davis needs to add goals to his game

True. I just think he's a useful option to have in the squad. It's always good to have a big strong targetman around. I also think Kodjia won't be able to get away being as selfish as he is in the premier league.

Just seen that Callum Robinson is out of contract now. Surely worth a go whatever league we're in.

Selling Kodj and keeping Davis makes no sense to me. Kodj scores goals. Davis doesn't. We need a class striker as number 1, and Kodj is a reasonable backup. At no time has DS indicated he sees Davis ahead of Kodj, in fact he's said the opposite.

I'd keep O'Hare in the squad. He seems to have great instincts around the box and gives us something different.

Selling Kodj and keeping Davis makes no sense to me. Kodj scores goals. Davis doesn't. We need a class striker as number 1, and Kodj is a reasonable backup. At no time has DS indicated he sees Davis ahead of Kodj, in fact he's said the opposite.

I'd keep O'Hare in the squad. He seems to have great instincts around the box and gives us something different.

Agree regarding Kodjia. I like him . Always have. Frustrating at times but can do the unexpected. He is very skilful and holds the ball better than Tammy.

Simple for me r.e the youth. Perform or don't play. We are not a trial team . I can expect inconsistency from younger players but they still need to perform. Green has never had a better opportunity than since Smith bought him back. He has not taken it in anyway. He is miles off. We are AVFC trying to get promoted to the premier league . If we get up we will be AVFC trying to stay in the premier league. We haven't got time to mess around waiting for too long for the likes of Green to 'kick on '. This is why there is an academy , u23 and loaning system. We need to decide what to do fairly quickly . No problem giving them a chance but if they don't take it . See you later . We haven't got the time . We never will have the time. That's modern football.
Alot is made of the likes of Daniel Johnson and Callum Robinson and how they seem to have got away . Really? . We were scrapping for our lives in the Prem when Callum was loaned out and desperately needing to get back up when he was sold in 2016 . See what I mean about not having time. There will always be something. Same goes for Johnson during his time 2011-15 before leaving . I must be missing something because I don't remember Preston getting promoted or really seriously challenging recently. So I dont think we have missed out with them at all. The thing I will agree on with Green and Davis is the policy of playing them ahead of the likes of Bolasie . Still though football won't wait for us to prove our youth so they better crack on.

Last edited:
I seem to remember when Dean Smith was Brentford manager he tried to take Green on loan so he obviously rated him but I wonder now having seen him close up does he still feel the same?

It would appear he does?

The Kodjia of 2 years ago would have been fine in the premier league, his injuries have taken a bit out of him unfortunately. Though he's looked like his old self more recently, perhaps his new haircut has invigorated him a bit. I just can't see his dribble past everyone thing working at the top level.

As for Green I think Smith does rate him and sees him as someone he and his coaching staff can improve. He's better than Adomah currently in my opinion. He won't be a starter if we go up but could be a good option from the bench.