The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 98 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Money talks. If we offered enough.

I don't want him. Didn't want him last season . But he was much talked about (normally when we lost and he scored for Brighton tbh) . Surprised he isn't being mentioned again by those who thought he would have fitted the bill last season.
Or are we aiming higher now?.

We’d have to pay a lot for him now. Probably similar to Odsonne Edouard.

If you compare the two, Edouard is younger and has more caps for youth French teams, so it looks like he’s considered the better player in their international set-up.

For the same/similar price it’s an easy decision (proving both would come of course!).

I don't want him. Didn't want him last season . But he was much talked about (normally when we lost and he scored for Brighton tbh) . Surprised he isn't being mentioned again by those who thought he would have fitted the bill last season.
If you want to buy a starter from another PL club you have to pay double, maybe triple what their ability is actually worth. It’s simply not worth it. Maupay is OK but is he worth breaking the bank for... probably not

I think he would have done a good job for us but the ship has sailed. Watkins fitted nicely into his role for Brentford, might even have done a better job than Maupay, I'd take him before someone else does.

Maupay scored more goals than all our strikers put together last season :lol:

But obviously this season we will be aiming higher, by signing.....Ollie Watkins?
I think the point is that to sign Maupay from Brighton would cost us like £40m since they have no incentive to sell. That's far too much, really ought to have gone all out to sign this player last summer.

Sancho to Man Utd deal off. Prepare for endless speculation that Man Utd are focusing their attention on Grealish now!

I think the point is that to sign Maupay from Brighton would cost us like £40m since they have no incentive to sell. That's far too much, really ought to have gone all out to sign this player last summer.

Melon was obviously shit-stirring in that post, the idea is ridiculous.

Would have he been a good signing in hindsight? I would have to say yes.

We have this week to get our signings in i'm sure Smith said they start preseason next week everyone we bring in after is playing catch up.

We have this week to get our signings in i'm sure Smith said they start preseason next week everyone we bring in after is playing catch up.
In an ideal world your right, but unfortunately this isn't an ideal world, this is a covid world where we are not the apex predators in the transfer market. We might have to wait until the big fish have had their fill before the crumbs can be up for a fight.

Talking of Covid ...

Don't rule out the possibility of seeing the smallest transfer activity ever recorded in the PL over the next couple of months as clubs weigh up the (very likely IMO) prospect of not seeing paying crowds at games for the entire season.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see c£50m "hedged" at Villa to account for the possibility of a big fat £0 at the turnstiles.

Talking of Covid ...

Don't rule out the possibility of seeing the smallest transfer activity ever recorded in the PL over the next couple of months as clubs weigh up the (very likely IMO) prospect of not seeing paying crowds at games for the entire season.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see c£50m "hedged" at Villa to account for the possibility of a big fat £0 at the turnstiles.

Think so. I reckon we will spend on the odd player who will really improve the squad; I hope so, we have to. But maybe not more than that.