The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 69 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Of course Hourihane is prem level. It's not even a debate really. He was one of the better players in a team that survived in the Premiership. End of.

There seems to be a common misconception that the Premier League is chocka-full of Kevin De Bruyne's. It's not. It's full of Ashley Westwood's, Dan Gosling's, Jeff Hendrick's, Will Hughes's and Issac Hayden's.
Been trying to make this point all season. A lot of our fans are quick to call players shit and not PL quality, but most are no worse than half the other players in the league. I’m pretty sure the likes of Hourihane, Guilbert, Hause would get game time at a few other PL teams as well

Wasnt crazy on the McCarthy/Hendrick links, but I also wasnt crazy on the Glenn Whelan link previously, yet he changed my mind as a steady player who did his job quietly without fuss. They wouldn't be my first choice but I doubt de bruyne is available 😂

If the 5 sub rule stays in effect next season, I would imagine there is a need for a few squad players and that's what they'd be. If Jota and Lansbury were the backup answers, think id prefer McCarthy/ Hendrick instead!

Personally I don't see the point in keeping Nakamba for the Lansbury role? Always liked McCarthy as a player, the question mark is his fitness issues. Are we just signing another Lansbury. If we are going tried and tested we need to avoid players who've constantly had injuries.

After careful consideration, My ideal shopping list would be:

Tammy or if not, Iheanacho
Benrahma
Barkley
Tuanzebe
Snodgrass/Fraser

Get rid of Jota and Lansbury and if Nakamba went maybe go for Billing/Doucore.

That shifts us up the table a bit.

Personally I don't see the point in keeping Nakamba for the Lansbury role? Always liked McCarthy as a player, the question mark is his fitness issues. Are we just signing another Lansbury. If we are going tried and tested we need to avoid players who've constantly had injuries.

After careful consideration, My ideal shopping list would be:

Tammy or if not, Iheanacho
Benrahma
Barkley
Tuanzebe
Snodgrass/Fraser

Get rid of Jota and Lansbury and if Nakamba went maybe go for Billing/Doucore.

That shifts us up the table a bit.
I think Nakamba stays as backup for Douglas/to bring off the bench and push Douglas up the pitch a bit in certain games.

I don't see the point in signing McCarthy to be honest. Tidy player in his day but I don't think he fits into our system of being the single holding midfielder, not mobile enough and there must be a reason why Everton and now Palace are letting him go on the cheap.

Hendrick is a potential bargain but nothing more than a squad player. Very similar to Hourihane in my opinion, maybe slightly better on the ball but nothing to write home about. He would have been a good signing last summer maybe, but surely our sights are set a bit higher for season two?

Agree with Tammy, Benrahma and Tuanzebe. I'd like to see us sign Doucoure as if we lose McGinn or Grealish we need someone for that CAM role who can storm into the box and get a goal or two.

I really do not understand why anyone wants Tuanzebe back. He was decent for us, but was never our best centre back alongside Chester or Mings, and I can’t understand how anyone can look at our defence and think, yes we need another inexperienced centre back. We need experience not youth players who never cut it at their current clubs

I really do not understand why anyone wants Tuanzebe back. He was decent for us, but was never our best centre back alongside Chester or Mings, and I can’t understand how anyone can look at our defence and think, yes we need another inexperienced centre back. We need experience not youth players who never cut it at their current clubs
Because he was excellent for us alongside Mings and would be brilliant competition for Konsa instead of Engels. He knows the coaches, the staff and a good few of the players. He's already got experience playing alongside Mings and Hause and that's half the battle.

Disagree with that david-avfc. I think he was our best CB and him returning from injury was a huge part in us going up. He's versatile, quick, good on the ball and as Smith said himself, he'd love to work with him again.

Much rather have him than Engels, therefore an improvement on what we have currently.

this plus the fact he's constantly injured.
Presumably he had the choice of what to do when his loan finished and was happy to sit on his arse rather than play.

Altho if we're already scraping the barrel with Hendrick,McCarthy type suggestions then lord help us -

hopefully Lange has got his championship manager fired up by now

Disagree with that david-avfc. I think he was our best CB and him returning from injury was a huge part in us going up. He's versatile, quick, good on the ball and as Smith said himself, he'd love to work with him again.

Much rather have him than Engels, therefore an improvement on what we have currently.
I think us paying £26m for Mings is an indication who our best defender was that season because there’s no way we couldn’t have signed Tuanzebe for that price.

For me we don’t need “competition” for Konsa, we need someone with more experience who can come in fairly easily and do a more consistent job. A new signing should be expected to play 30+ games and Konsa should be the competition for them, not the other way round.

Last edited:
I think us paying £26m for Mings is an indication who are best defender was that season because there’s no way we couldn’t have signed Tuanzebe for that price.

For me we don’t need “competition” for Konsa, we need someone with more experience who can come in fairly easily and do a more consistent job. A new signing should be expected to play 30+ games and Konsa should be the competition for them, not the other way round.
No disagree. Konsa did enough since lockdown to deserve to be our starting centre back next season. We just need someone better than Engels to keep him on his toes and Tuanzebe is perfect.

We've been at such a poor level for such a long time that it breads a poverty of ideas.

No disagree. Konsa did enough since lockdown to deserve to be our starting centre back next season. We just need someone better than Engels to keep him on his toes and Tuanzebe is perfect.
I think it’s a fair point that our defence improved considerably post-lockdown which means a centre back has perhaps slipped down the priority order for now.

However, I don’t think that completely whitewashes over the first 28 games which includes a long list of errors resulting in goals, a stupid amount of goals conceded late on, and the fact our defence was officially the worst in the league on a series of different metrics.

That’s why I would like us to sign someone with more experience who can come in and be a calm and reliable player on the pitch with Konsa and Mings learning off him and Konsa filling in as and when necessary which he a capable of doing, just for me I’d like someone with proven experience as the main guy

Last edited:
I think us paying £26m for Mings is an indication who are best defender was that season because there’s no way we couldn’t have signed Tuanzebe for that price.

I wouldn't mind seeing an experienced CB come in but wouldnt class it is a top priority. And we then have a different problem that the only way Konsa and also Hause will improve is by playing - they need to play to develop. Axel would be in a similar position to those pair to me, so is probably a pointless signing