The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 68 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I'd be amazed if Godfrey went for that much - £20m maybe in total with the Bellingham deal (that won't be £20m up front), I rate Arrons higher. Origi won't move for that either.

As for Rose - he seems more interested in talking about how he's fallen out of love for the game these days I'd have though? He also spoke about seeing out his contract and how he wouldn't be sold or go on loan and then went on loan.

Again, I'd have commitment concerns unless we could really turn him around again. He would be an improvement on both, and could teach Targett lots in the process.

Our form improvement over the last 4 games when Hourihane returned hasn't gone unnoticed. Wand of a left foot , excellent with a dead ball. Great future ahead

Disagree mate, he's too often anonymous in midfield but he does have his role to play.

The turnaround was better organisation across the lot, Hourihane's involvement on the ball in the last few games was actually atrocious from my memory (and I'm not 57 and don't actually hate him because I get what he offers lol).

Can't see that happening personally. You are also suggesting that he is somewhere near SJG in valuation. Funding Liverpool to the tune of £60m would seriously piss me off as well - and strengthen them considerably.

Not for me at that price, bit part player, proved nothing £15-20m at best, especially from Liverpool. They'll just invest in the youngsters we need to unearth.
whats the point in villa uneathing youngsters when all we do is sell them or give them away if we are realistic in asking 80 million for grealish then 60 million for a champions league winner and a premier league winner and a international player seems fair but im reading now that we may get him for 40 million , if we are looking to stay in the prem and win games then we need to stop shopping at aldi and get some players in that have quality and that lad at liverpool has that

Wasnt aware of Rose's comments of falling out of love with the game, leave him so...... only want fully committed players.
Chelsea linked with an 18m bid for some Spanish lad at left back and also linked with Chilwell, which would lead to believe Marcos Alonso is surplus to requirements, decent defender pops up with a goal or two as well. 29 years old but still 3 years left on contract, prem experience and a winner.

Jeff Hendrick representatives offer him to AVFC and NUFC ...... AC Milan obviously cooled their interest.

Of course Hourihane is prem level. It's not even a debate really. He was one of the better players in a team that survived in the Premiership. End of.

There seems to be a common misconception that the Premier League is chocka-full of Kevin De Bruyne's. It's not. It's full of Ashley Westwood's, Dan Gosling's, Jeff Hendrick's, Will Hughes's and Issac Hayden's.

None of these players are going to be attracting the interest of Barcelona, but they are all decent players cutting out decent careers in the Premier League.

Is Hourihane the answer to break us into the top half? Nope. If we bring in a midfielder will he be the first one dropped to the bench? Yep. But to suggest he's not Prem level is ridiculous.

As for Danny Rose... is he better that Targett and Taylor? Yes. So why not? The falling out of love with the game thing.... maybe a move to the right club could invigorate him? It's like any other job, you might go stale, move to a new company and start enjoying it again. Low risk gamble in my humble.

The Hourihane bashing absolutely baffles me, I have to be honest. He has flaws in his game but who doesn't apart from maybe De Bruyne.

The guy has scored some really important goals for this football club and you never see him moan or sulk even though he's always the first to be dropped after a defeat or subbed when he starts. Of course he isn't top class, but we are shocking from set pieces without him in the team and they are a massive part of modern day football.

He absolutely loves the Villa as well and you can see how much other players value him and Grealish loves him by posts and shit on social media. Even the fact Jack ran to him when he scored at West Ham I think says a lot. I bet if you look closely at the stats we score more and indeed win more games with him on the pitch. Not saying he's Gazza but a very useful player.

As for Danny Rose, no tar. All you hear is negative stuff come out his mouth these days regarding Football. Think his best days are behind him too.

Hourihane, to his credit, played well in his last 3-4 appearances, but he's a player who can undeniably be improved on. Happy to have him around in the squad but he's far too limited in terms of his athleticism and ability to demand the ball and occupy good spaces to ever be a factor for us going forward.

I bet if you look closely at the stats we score more and indeed win more games with him on the pitch. Not saying he's Gazza but a very useful player.

Just did actually.... 14th in the prem for assists per minutes played.

De Bruyne - an assist every 140 minutes
Hudson-Odoi - 170
Silva - 183
Mahrez - 215
TAA - 244
Son - 248
Robertson - 259
Barnes - 261
Salah - 288
Adama - 289
Jesus - 289
B. Silva - 290
Snodgrass - 306
Hourihane - 307

Not bad company to be in really is it? 8 of the 13 players above him play for Liverpool and Man City.

A look at some players with a worse assists per minutes played ratio -

Firminio
Mane
Rashford
Willian
Martial
Grealish
Moutinho
Pepe
Henderson
Buendia
Maddison
Mount
Dele Ali
Pulisic

the list goes on......

Now I'm not saying that assists alone mean that he is up there with the other players mentioned in terms of overall ability, but you surely can't deny that he is a Premier League player? That's just daft.

Hourihane is an ok squad player at this level. Ok for starting against weaker teams when we'll control the possession. If he's a regular starter next season then we're going to struggle again. The amount of times Rice, who is not known for his pace, jogged past Hourihane vs west ham was scary. Thankfully he can't shoot as well as Conor can else we'd have been in serious trouble.

Hourihane is an ok squad player at this level. Ok for starting against weaker teams when we'll control the possession. If he's a regular starter next season then we're going to struggle again. The amount of times Rice, who is not known for his pace, jogged past Hourihane vs west ham was scary. Thankfully he can't shoot as well as Conor can else we'd have been in serious trouble.

When we'll control possession?...... I can definitely count those occasions on one hand.

I'd keep Hourihane in the squad. He doesn't have the same marmite effect on me, definite championship standard player but like others have said above he seems to enjoy being at the club and people seem to enjoy playing with him. I'd get rid of Lansbury and give Hourihane the Lansbury seat next season. 10, 15 games max, few cup games and games against weaker opposition.

Linked to the likes of Hendrick and McCarthy, I think I'd rather keep Hourihane and spend a bit more money on a quality midfielder to replace Lansbury who can compete with John and Jack like Doucoure.

Kind of agree with that, only Nakamba is behind Hourihane for me, so unless he can be sold too, then he takes the Lansbury roll, and Hourihane moves to the bench to make way for a potential new guy.

I keep seeing McCarthy link. Not exactly a ball tickler, but the more I consider it the more I think he'd be a good signing for us.

I'm sure many of us would have killed for someone more solid in the middle of the park in the winter when Mcginn was injured. Useful rotation option making us more difficult to play through.

Prem experienced and wouldn't need to break the bank either. £5mill (there or there abouts).