The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Reckon McGinn was told by DS to play a different way this season, not to get too far forwards so that he could strengthen defensive midfield. Ideally we'd have a midfield whereby if McGinn went on one of his inspired runs then someone else covers; that's the way midfields should work. But we're not there.

I think Danny was played because DS had fallen into the "experienced" trap. No other reason. In the event, Danny showed that currently he isn't the player he was.

It worries me we're chopping and changing rather than sticking to a system and working on improving it. When DS took over from Bruce we started to get a recognisable system, with the benefits that implied; players knew what to do on the pitch. We seem to have lost that somewhat.

Saw an interview with Mateja Sarkic saying that he wouldn't be signing a new contract despite us offering one as he feels he's never going to get a proper chance with us.

Can't blame him as we brought him back from what was a very successful loan at Livingston to provide extra cover then signed Reina meaning he wasn't getting in our squad and couldn't be loaned out again. He was getting rave reviews in Scotland and I think he'll be one we'll regret not giving a chance to in the future.

Saw an interview with Mateja Sarkic saying that he wouldn't be signing a new contract despite us offering one as he feels he's never going to get a proper chance with us.

Can't blame him as we brought him back from what was a very successful loan at Livingston to provide extra cover then signed Reina meaning he wasn't getting in our squad and couldn't be loaned out again. He was getting rave reviews in Scotland and I think he'll be one we'll regret not giving a chance to in the future.

Looked fine on the few times I've seen him. Sometimes clubs have to take risks in looking to the future and to me signing Reina was the wrong move.

Last edited:
Looked fine on the few teams I've seen him. Sometimes clubs have to take risks in looking to the future and to me signing Reina was the wrong move.
Agreed, though there was talk that one of the other young keepers looks ‘one of the best in Europe’ is Sarkic concerned he’ll be squeezed between Heaton on top and young lad below? I always think that if your good enough your chance will come and keepers tend to be older. But at his age he maybe feels he needs to move up now. Shame seems to be a good prospect

Agreed, though there was talk that one of the other young keepers looks ‘one of the best in Europe’ is Sarkic concerned he’ll be squeezed between Heaton on top and young lad below? I always think that if your good enough your chance will come and keepers tend to be older. But at his age he maybe feels he needs to move up now. Shame seems to be a good prospect
Spink and Bosnich got their opportunities at a young age (in a slightly different era). Sarkic wants to play football - good on him I say. Yes it will be a loss for us in the longer term, but loaning Reina was probably the final nail.

Bonetti was 19 when he became Chelsea's first choice. Some keepers are around for a very long time, equally others tail off at the same time as other players, Hart for example. Reina is obviously not the future. We don't know if Heaton will return to his best or whether he'll tail off. We don't know where Steer and Nyland will fit; I think Nyland will move if DS stays around. Will be annoyed if we sign any more keepers. I think we need a clearer policy with regards to players like Sarkic; if we offer him another contract what will we do with him? Recalling him then signing Reina didn't make sense.

I think he's doing the right thing. He has to play; it's the only way he'll progress.

@JW1985

Any chance you've got a link for that mate...I've not seen it myself? Cheers in advance.

I've never seen Sarkic play but at 22 and nowhere near the Villa side best he moves on , I wish him well and hope he can find a club in the lower leagues if there are any still in existence next season

Difficult for young keepers. I watched a villa youth game against leamington last year and Sarkic played, he looked like the only player with the potential to progress but if he’s never going to play he needs to move on.

Difficult for young keepers. I watched a villa youth game against leamington last year and Sarkic played, he looked like the only player with the potential to progress but if he’s never going to play he needs to move on.

Might have been because the youth team are 18 and he's 22 though, I think this is what Purslow is doing now if players reach that age without breaking the first team they may as well move on

Might have been because the youth team are 18 and he's 22 though, I think this is what Purslow is doing now if players reach that age without breaking the first team they may as well move on

We've offered him a deal so someone obviously rates him. He has decided he wants out.

Must be hard for them to see us bring someone like Reina in, who must have cost a bit and didn't exactly blow me away, Whatever the kid decides i wish him all the best, I'm sure he will be a good keeper somewhere, we will talk about it and wonder why he's still not with us.

At least unlike the Albrighton debacle, we've actually offered a deal which means training compensation at worst.

I think keepers are a bit different, they tend to develop later but yes if a player is 4th choice in their position at the age of 22 they either need a very productive loan spell or they should move on

I heard we did offer Albrighton the chance to stay but he rejected it because he’d been messed around by Lambert

No, Lambert is his infinite wisdom wouldn't offer a deal, that's why we didn't get a penny for him. I can't remember who was CEO at the point, but they should've ignored him regardless - but they didn't.

A deal only has to be offered on existing terms for training compo/possible tribunal to come into play. The fact we weren't entitled to anything is proof no deal was offered - whether or not Albie had already stated he wouldn't sign again.

Any player can make it 100% clear they will not sign again, but that's irrelevant under the rules. We offer a matching/improved deal = entitled to £ when they move on.