The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

For he’s age he’s ok, for sure, but why on earth would we need a 21 year old who has never played above the championship in the first place?

And therein lies the problem .
Konsa has Engels and Mings to play alongside. The former with no experience the latter with limited due to injury .

Put Konsa next to Cahill or a Terry type then that makes more sense to me.

I think Konsa has a bit of class about him , definitely . I think he will be a fine player.

OK, how many first team players were we left with at the end of the promotion season that we thought were good enough to play at Premiership level and we actually wanted to keep?

Two Jack and SJM the rest weren't ours or were not good enough as I said 12 months ago

Two Jack and SJM the rest weren't ours or were not good enough as I said 12 months ago

If that's true then it's a wonder we're not rock bottom and quite a lot of points adrift. Rebuilding on that scale is never going to work.

However, I don't think it's as bad as that. Getting Mings back was a good move. He makes the odd mistake but also he's very good at anticipating danger and doing a fire brigade job. |And he was used to the club. Likewise El Ghazi, who's inconsistent but can have game changing moments, and was used to the club. We've softened the recruitment blow by signing players like these and also keeping on other "championship level" players who could still do a job for us.

I actually like this squad of players. If we can add some better quality in the next transfer window it should comfortably be a PL squad. I've never seen us as "clearly relegation". We're in group of around 6 teams any of whom could be relegated or who could survive.

If that's true then it's a wonder we're not rock bottom and quite a lot of points adrift. Rebuilding on that scale is never going to work.

However, I don't think it's as bad as that. Getting Mings back was a good move. He makes the odd mistake but also he's very good at anticipating danger and doing a fire brigade job. |And he was used to the club. Likewise El Ghazi, who's inconsistent but can have game changing moments, and was used to the club. We've softened the recruitment blow by signing players like these and also keeping on other "championship level" players who could still do a job for us.

I actually like this squad of players. If we can add some better quality in the next transfer window it should comfortably be a PL squad. I've never seen us as "clearly relegation". We're in group of around 6 teams any of whom could be relegated or who could survive.

Of course, it was true , we have rebuilt on that scale we've brought in a new Keeper 3 new defenders plus made Mings permanent we've brought in two new midfielders a new winger plus made El ghazi Permanent and new striker(s) So actually SJM and Jack were the only ones good enough from the side that got promotion. They are the only two players we had that are still the first choice

The new signings haven't been the best but the thought of Whelan Jedi Taylor Hutton Lansbury Hourihane Chester and a rookie keeper in Steer frightens the shite out of me . Look where those players are now

Been looking at the gallery on the club site of players in training. Don't recognise some of them! I suppose we haven't already signed some new ones?

Samatta looks lively. Very lively! I have hopes for him.

And therein lies the problem .
Konsa has Engels and Mings to play alongside. The former with no experience the latter with limited due to injury .

Put Konsa next to Cahill or a Terry type then that makes more sense to me.

I think Konsa has a bit of class about him , definitely . I think he will be a fine player.
Yes Melon,l agree there's a player in Konsa it maybe as a defensive midfielder to complement Marvelous.

I agree with some of the above that Konsa is a pretty talented player. He'd benefit a lot more from having a good, experienced centre half to play with. Engels for me is a bit of a shit show, looked very good early doors and has rapidly become a weak presence with an error or two in him, not impressed.

Mings for me is overrated, he makes rash decisions on the ball consistently and his positioning isn't good. He has to rely on recovery pace and lots of last ditch work to dig himself of positional holes.

As said above, Konsa next to a proper experienced pro like Cahill would be a different player. IMO Konsa is the best centre half we currently have in terms of natural ability.

Konsa may be talented but he's not the finished article. He makes as many mistakes as anybody, especially under pressure. Mings' recovery pace is used to dig us out of other people's mistakes, a lot. When he's not in the team we suffer badly, as has been proved.

I still reckon Engels and Mings are our best centre back pairing by some way. Although maybe Chester and Mings would be better.

All our defenders would look an awful lot better with better midfielders.

Strange one isn't it we have SJM and Jack who most of us think are worth 50m at least each probably more.
That leaves one space in a 3 man midfield. Marvelous has one of the top tackling records yet some people think he's crop Luiz will go onto being a top midfielder but people think he's crap
If we added Kante to this midfield it wouldn't make any difference, so where do we go.. Then again Jack hasn't played in his proper position and SJM has been out so yes we need a stronger midfield
me it would be 442 we haven't got physically enough players in the midfield for me

Strange one isn't it we have SJM and Jack who most of us think are worth 50m at least each probably more.
That leaves one space in a 3 man midfield. Marvelous has one of the top tackling records yet some people think he's crop Luiz will go onto being a top midfielder but people think he's crap
If we added Kante to this midfield it wouldn't make any difference, so where do we go.. Then again Jack hasn't played in his proper position and SJM has been out so yes we need a stronger midfield
me it would be 442 we haven't got physically enough players in the midfield for me
McGinn was hardly setting the league alight when he was fit, mixed bag at this level based on evidence.

McGinn was hardly setting the league alight when he was fit, mixed bag at this level based on evidence.

He was doing ok until they decided to play him injured then he had 3 games where he looked injured before he broke his foot because he was late into a tackle due to being injured. I think we need to sacrifice a winger and that "winger" has to be Jack who is better central where he can run at the centre of the opposition defence and put the shits up them. We have two fullbacks who can get wide

He was doing ok until they decided to play him injured then he had 3 games where he looked injured before he broke his foot because he was late into a tackle due to being injured. I think we need to sacrifice a winger and that "winger" has to be Jack who is better central where he can run at the centre of the opposition defence and put the shits up them. We have two fullbacks who can get wide
Yeah I think 'OK' describes it perfectly, not bad, not great either.

The fact Danny Drinkwater, the worst midfielder I have ever seen in a villa shirt, displaced Nakamba and Luiz in January/ Feb shows how bad they both are.

And sorry maybe it’s just me but I cannot understand your comment on Kante? Do you genuinely think one of the best defensive midfielder in the past 5 years wouldn’t be an improvement over our current bunch?

I like Mcginn but he started to struggle even before his injury. I think he got found out, opposition clubs looked at him and worked out his game and planned how to stop him. That’s the difference between championship and premier league opposition - the level of detail and ability to pick things up and adapt quickly, something we are still lacking. Hopefully when he‘s back to full fitness he’ll regain some of that “unknown” factor because he’s been out for so long

The fact Danny Drinkwater, the worst midfielder I have ever seen in a villa shirt, displaced Nakamba and Luiz in January/ Feb shows how bad they both are.

And sorry maybe it’s just me but I cannot understand your comment on Kante? Do you genuinely think one of the best defensive midfielder in the past 5 years wouldn’t be an improvement over our current bunch?

Yes . He wouldn't make the slightest difference , not to us anyway

I like Mcginn but he started to struggle even before his injury. I think he got found out, opposition clubs looked at him and worked out his game and planned how to stop him. That’s the difference between championship and premier league opposition - the level of detail and ability to pick things up and adapt quickly, something we are still lacking. Hopefully when he‘s back to full fitness he’ll regain some of that “unknown” factor because he’s been out for so long
He was invariably poor after the Burnley home game for me. He wasn't demanding the ball enough and wasn't occupying good positions in midfield to receive the ball enough. A good lung busting run and shot seemed to blind a lot of fans to this though.

I don't for a minute believe United were interested, they have Fred who has had a better season after a shocking start to his career there.

Nevertheless he's got good qualities and I really hope he comes back and is a revelation but I don't see anything more than a mid table midfielder. That still makes him one of our best players but he won't be doing the same things at this level as he was last season, not regularly at least.

It shows you how bad Smith is more than anything.

He was invariably poor after the Burnley home game for me. He wasn't demanding the ball enough and wasn't occupying good positions in midfield to receive the ball enough. A good lung busting run and shot seemed to blind a lot of fans to this though.

I don't for a minute believe United were interested, they have Fred who has had a better season after a shocking start to his career there.

Nevertheless he's got good qualities and I really hope he comes back and is a revelation but I don't see anything more than a mid table midfielder. That still makes him one of our best players but he won't be doing the same things at this level as he was last season, not regularly at least.

It tend to agree and Sheff United have 10 players like that who give it all they have every game , if we had 10 john Mcginns we'd be where they are

Absolutely agree 442 for me as well. Gives the right balance of attack and defence