The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 160 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Thought Freddie was great in the Arsenal game, in spite of just returning from injury. And Elmo's by no means past it; think he adds a lot to the team in terms of experience. After all, people were moaning that we let Hutton go too soon. I'd be happy keeping both, particularly as Ezri can step in if needed.

On the other hand Trippier is class. If we solved all our other problems and can afford him I wouldn't say no. But not a priority.

Trippier looked fine to me in the Champions League and if you play for Atletico you have to be able to defend. . If it's true he wants to leave it must only be because he is homesick. . He would be better than anything we have got and that's not to say Freddie is no good because he is potentially very good.

Looks like the exact sort of signing we should be making, experience, quality, maybe a point to prove back in the PL and better than what we have.

Too often we have replaced like (poor) with like (poor) and where has that got us!?

Looks like the exact sort of signing we should be making, experience, quality, maybe a point to prove back in the PL and better than what we have.

Too often we have replaced like (poor) with like (poor) and where has that got us!?

Spot on mate 3 or 4 of that standing and quality will do us added to what we have would give us about 8 quality players. Doesn't really matter what position they play as lone as they are a level above the player we have now

Spot on mate 3 or 4 of that standing and quality will do us added to what we have would give us about 8 quality players. Doesn't really matter what position they play as lone as they are a level above the player we have now

We have to put a marker down. If we want to keep Grealish and attract quality we need to get a few players like this in besides recruiting the cream of the Championship/Scottish league

Im not against Trippier it just does not appear to be the way we work at the moment. If he was 3 years younger and he had a decent sell on value, he would be more likely IMO.
We signed Heaton and probably would have signed Drinkwater if the loan worked out well. I dont think they're opposed to signing proven Premier League quality.

Goalies last longer than most other players and i hope to God we were not going to sign Drinkwater and possibly make him one of if not the highest paid player? Thats what it will take to get Trippier.

I dont think we are against signing PL experience. I just think they are looking at the overall value?

You can't have too many RBs :grinning: How about a back line of:
Elmo Guilbert Konsa Trippier
Mr 4 promotions would love that.

Thinking about it, I'm warming to the idea. So long as it doesn't stop us sorting out the attacking problem. Let Guilbert and Trippier fight it out. I'd still keep Elmo because he'll do a job if needed and he has the experience to make a difference.

Im not against Trippier it just does not appear to be the way we work at the moment. If he was 3 years younger and he had a decent sell on value, he would be more likely IMO.

Perhaps this is an example of Lange providing us with a different perspective, him plus Covid of course.

Think back to the conversation re lower league teams seeing their better players picked up for peanuts because they're sunk without the PL TV money and may face zero revenue through the turnstiles next season - we could be in the same position if we're relegated so, again, perhaps, we're looking at buying more defensively, literally and pragmatically, given the unknowables in front of us (and every other club) re turnstile money into 2021.

Hard to say based on just one player link of course but there can surely be no doubt that DS's gung ho style last season cost us an enormous amount of points - we're way better than where we finished IMO if we're more solid at the back and better all-round.

It's still my biggest doubt about DS - setting records for the amount of points given away from winning positions - perhaps wiser/more pragmatic heads are prevailing at VP and not before time IMO.

Agree about the lack of sell-on but he's a class player with the kind of experience that nobody except Terry has and that alone could help out what is still a very young and inexperienced defence.

We have to put a marker down. If we want to keep Grealish and attract quality we need to get a few players like this in besides recruiting the cream of the Championship/Scottish league

Yup, and again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jack had weighed in on how sick he was of seeing games/points being squandered at the back no matter how well he played or tried further up the pitch.

Ultimately, this season needs to be one of consolidation with us adding another 10+ points to last season's haul. We scored plenty of goals but conceded them by the hat full all season and with a 17th position in the league we're not exactly going to have quality players banging our doors down to get into the club.

Let's take what we can get if they're obviously better than we have, even if they're not a direct replacement for wastes of a shirt like Ghazi although having said that Trippier may help to provide some sort of attacking presence on the right side himself, a side of the pitch where we rarely had or kept the ball all season.

Perhaps this is an example of Lange providing us with a different perspective, him plus Covid of course.

Think back to the conversation re lower league teams seeing their better players picked up for peanuts because they're sunk without the PL TV money and may face zero revenue through the turnstiles next season - we could be in the same position if we're relegated so, again, perhaps, we're looking at buying more defensively, literally and pragmatically, given the unknowables in front of us (and every other club) re turnstile money into 2021.

Hard to say based on just one player link of course but there can surely be no doubt that DS's gung ho style last season cost us an enormous amount of points - we're way better than where we finished IMO if we're more solid at the back and better all-round.

It's still my biggest doubt about DS - setting records for the amount of points given away from winning positions - perhaps wiser/more pragmatic heads are prevailing at VP and not before time IMO.

Agree about the lack of sell-on but he's a class player with the kind of experience that nobody except Terry has and that alone could help out what is still a very young and inexperienced defence.
Agree with this. We need to stop thinking about the implications of sell on value. We need players in who can do a job and get us up the league and compete. Anything less is small time

We shipped the second-most goals last season so I'd say we need a defender or two. All teams that are any good start from a defence that doesn't ship 2 goals game.
Top players don't become available when you need them with these crazy transfer windows you have to get them while you can. Elmo is past it and Freddie isn't consistent enough, some games I think he looks quite good and others he's turned inside out and all over the place.
Personally I don't think that our defence was the reason we shipped so many goals, I believe it was the relentless pressure they came under due to the midfield offering little cover, this is also born out ut the fact that we conceded so many late goals as the defence got tired. I can't remember a season where we threw away so many leading positions to either lose or draw. They key, for me, is better ball retention in midfield so that the defence is called on to do their own job and not just mop up after a sieve-like midfield. It's no coincidence that the defence looked more solid after McGinn came back, not that he's the only reason for the improvement, the whole team looked to take more responsibility, but McGinn returning will have added to desperately missed steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with this. We need to stop thinking about the implications of sell on value. We need players in who can do a job and get us up the league and compete. Anything less is small time
I'm glad someone else is thinking it. We cant purely focus on transfers that have sell on value, we dont want to be selling them if they are any good anyway. A sprinkling of experienced, quality players will make a huge difference to our squad

Personally I don't think that our defence was the reason we shipped so many goals, I believe it was the relentless pressure they came under due to the midfield offering little cover, this is also born out ut the fact that we conceded so many late goals as they defence got tired. I can' remember a season weher we threw away so many leading positions to either lose or draw. They key, for me, is better ball retention in midfield so that the defence is called on to do their own job and not just mop up after a sieve-like midfield. It's no coincidence that the defence looked more solid after McGinn came back, not that he's the only reason for the improvement, the whole team looked to take more responsibility, but McGinn returning will have added to desperately missed steel.

Sir, if you are going to return here and keep on spouting such common sense, well SIr, I do declare, you will get yourself a reputation!

Lets take Rashica for an example. He might cost what 25m. A couple of good PL seasons and he will be worth double that at least? He will also cost far less in wages than Tripier. Rashica appears plenty good enough for the PL and more what we need. Im not suggesting he is coming as he may be using our interest to get to RB Lipzig. He was just an example that came to mind.

Thought Freddie was great in the Arsenal game, in spite of just returning from injury. And Elmo's by no means past it; think he adds a lot to the team in terms of experience. After all, people were moaning that we let Hutton go too soon. I'd be happy keeping both, particularly as Ezri can step in if needed.

On the other hand Trippier is class. If we solved all our other problems and can afford him I wouldn't say no. But not a priority.
Freddie was great in a few games but he was also not so great in many more games.That for me was the problem last season we were relying on too many rookies who can look great in flashes but when things don't go their they just haven't got that grit and determination to turn a really poor day into a ok one.Players like Trippier posses this in spades where they are not at their best in games they will still make a difference where they will put in a couple of game saving tackles or they will put a cross in that provides the winning goal he's on totally different level to Freddie or Elmo.Agree that Freddie might potentially reach his level but we need someone who can provide that next level now I think we would mental to pass up on Tripper.As for Elmo I think he's been a great signing for us for the level we have been at and I love his attitude but he has never reached anywhere near Trippiers level through out his whole career.

Freddie was great in a few games but he was also not so great in many more games.That for me was the problem last season we were relying on too many rookies who can look great in flashes but when things don't go their they just haven't got that grit and determination to turn a really poor day into a ok one.Players like Trippier posses this in spades where they are not at their best in games they will still make a difference where they will put in a couple of game saving tackles or they will put a cross in that provides the winning goal he's on totally different level to Freddie or Elmo.Agree that Freddie might potentially reach his level but we need someone who can provide that next level now I think we would mental to pass up on Tripper.As for Elmo I think he's been a great signing for us for the level we have been at and I love his attitude but he has never reached anywhere near Trippiers level through out his whole career.

Yep, The game against Arsenal where he was fist-pumping the air after tackling the Arsenal bloke and winning a goal kick, the situation arose because he gave the ball away in the first place.
Freddie does a fair amount of tackles because he has too as he's positionally poor, I watched Konsa at right-back, big strong quick lad, never let the man turn and run at him, to me we looked strong with Konsa at right-back.

We need a quality right-back, in saying that Jack aside we need quality all over the pitch, sentiment needs leaving at the door with all the OK players we have if a top lad is available.

Yep, The game against Arsenal where he was fist-pumping the air after tackling the Arsenal bloke and winning a goal kick, the situation arose because he gave the ball away in the first place.
Freddie does a fair amount of tackles because he has too as he's positionally poor, I watched Konsa at right-back, big strong quick lad, never let the man turn and run at him, to me we looked strong with Konsa at right-back.

We need a quality right-back, in saying that Jack aside we need quality all over the pitch, sentiment needs leaving at the door with all the OK players we have if a top lad is available.
Absolutely Martin we know we need a quality striker if we insist on playing wingers then at least one of them but it's about improving every position I don't really agree with concentrating on one particular area of the team because if you do that you start to neglect other areas and miss out on players like Trippier look at the difference Giddy made to our team all those years ago.