The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 149 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

So basically we have concluded from the above posts that it was MON’s fault not Heskey’s who was over the hill but like any of us would have jumped at the chance of joining AVFC at his age and at his stage of career.

But handy that he has been brought into the discussion about Keinan as it shows just how far Keinan is behind the likes of Heskey at similar age. And why I do not get the fuss.

By the time Heskey was the same age Keinan is now he had been in a promoted side, played 3 seasons in the premier league scoring 26 goals, won the league cup, finished 2nd to Becks in the PFA young player and played for England.

But at least Keinan can control the ball.

We need another striker , big time.

So basically we have concluded from the above posts that it was MON’s fault not Heskey’s who was over the hill but like any of us would have jumped at the chance of joining AVFC at his age and at his stage of career.

But handy that he has been brought into the discussion about Keinan as it shows just how far Keinan is behind the likes of Heskey at similar age. And why I do not get the fuss.

By the time Heskey was the same age Keinan is now he had been in a promoted side, played 3 seasons in the premier league scoring 26 goals, won the league cup, finished 2nd to Becks in the PFA young player and played for England.

But at least Keinan can control the ball.

We need another striker , big time.
This. All day long.

Heskey's problem was he was absolutely not what we needed at the time and much like the Calamity James tag, it stuck before he signed. Add that to Eck's 4 forwards bollocks with Heskey as a holding midfielder in effect and the die was cast for nostalgia.

I'm guessing this is why some of us like Davis - big man, stands up better than Heskey actually, but has less of a goal threat than Heskey.
Exactly. We had some of the best passing and crossing midfielders in the league but were screaming out for someone who could put the ball in the net. Heskey was such a screamingly bad choice for that task it was a caricature of MON's absolute worst recruitment habits. That single decision is *the* sliding doors moment for us as a club. What could have been...

With the new fixtures out, scanning through the sequence seeing if we have any nightmare run ins, cant help but compare games vs results last season....the the reality kicks in, we really did just survive by skin of teeth.

Sure we played better in the last 9-10 games and the last season should give players that experience... but we need to be better all over the pitch.... and on the sidelines too

New assistant coach to help with tactics and substitutions- check
Develop the youth set up- check
New keeper to replace Reina and challenge/ cover Heaton if not fit - TBC
New defenders to improve on being the second worst defence in the league- TBC
New forwards to improve our goal scoring record- TBC* ("poised" for last 3 weeks to prepare a bid)
New wingers to actually cross the ball to new forwards - TBC
New midfielders to help team defend and also push on and be a better option than Lansbury- TBC
Improve the scouting network to achieve above steps- TBC

Still an awful lot of steps needing completion before we kick off in 3 weeks time

I heard on the grapevine that we will announce the Watkins signing today, as well as a mystery signing from abroad.

Or did I?

:whist::fish: