The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 416 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

5-10m I'd have snapped your arm off and I'd have paid that last season, let alone this summer. 20 - no chance though. He's no Jack, Mount, Zaha, Diangana, Barnes etc - he'll be bloody good but not 20 at this stage even in this market given the inconsistency.

5-10m I'd have snapped your arm off and I'd have paid that last season, let alone this summer. 20 - no chance though. He's no Jack, Mount, Zaha, Diangana, Barnes etc - he'll be bloody good but not 20 at this stage even in this market given the inconsistency.
That's why he cost £20m instead of at least double if not triple.

I think the real stumbling block RE Eze would be wages, I'm sure Palace are paying him a wage we couldn't really justify at this stage.

"An inspirational performance from Eberechi Eze ensured that Crystal Palace moved up to sixth spot as Leeds suffered a second successive 4-1 defeat"

"Eze dusted himself down after being fouled on the edge of the penalty area to curl home an exquisite free-kick via the underside of the crossbar. “He was outstanding,” said Hodgson. “The goal for me was the icing on the cake.”

Cheap too. How many times did I suggest this guy ?
But then maybe he wanted to stay in London

One performance does not mean we should have signed him.

We had all this bollox with Maupay and that nut job from Rangers last season. Yet now......

One performance does not mean we should have signed him.

We had all this bollox with Maupay and that nut job from Rangers last season. Yet now......

Maupay in fairness would have been a much better signing than Wesley and has as many goals as Watkins in the league so far this season.

Maupay in fairness would have been a much better signing than Wesley and has as many goals as Watkins in the league so far this season.

I didn’t want to sign Watkins. I didnt want Maupay. I didn’t want Eze or Cash.

Fed up with signing and aiming for championship players who we have to then wait to see if they come good. Spent last season waiting for players to come good and looks like the majority of fans are now prepared to wait again because now we have lost 2 games I am reading a lot of ..... he will be fine/come good etc etc.

I didn’t want to sign Watkins. I didnt want Maupay. I didn’t want Eze or Cash.

Fed up with signing and aiming for championship players who we have to then wait to see if they come good. Spent last season waiting for players to come good and looks like the majority of fans are now prepared to wait again because now we have lost 2 games I am reading a lot of ..... he will be fine/come good etc etc.
How many players are signed for any side and are guaranteed to hit the ground running and have great seasons? There's always risks.

How many players are signed for any side and are guaranteed to hit the ground running and have great seasons? There's always risks.

Everyone is a risk.

But there is a scale of risk isn’t there. Using our one eye catching, albeit lone signing as an example.

10/10 of fans would say Barkley will be more successful than Watkins based on what we know about him, previous performances and pedigree thereby a less risky signing.

And there is no point looking enviously at players we didn't sign ....totally pointless exercise. We probably spent what we could this season, so the focus should be on making our players perform better.

And there is no point looking enviously at players we didn't sign ....totally pointless exercise. We probably spent what we could this season, so the focus should be on making our players perform better.

Which was my point to start with when talking about Eze.

Everyone is a risk.

But there is a scale of risk isn’t there. Using our one eye catching, albeit lone signing as an example.

10/10 of fans would say Barkley will be more successful than Watkins based on what we know about him, previous performances and pedigree thereby a less risky signing.
We don't have the budget to go after more established players because of the wages these players command.

Another season of mediocrity at best then.
Thrilling .
We're still beholden to FFP and there's not a god damn thing any one can do about it unless we want to risk massive fines (which puts a dent into future budgets) or even points deductions. Whilst we have been able to allocate good amount to fees we have very clearly found wages an issue. We could get Barkley because we didn't have to pay a large fee to sign him, no way would be signing players for big fees + big wages at this stage.

Anyone who thinks we were in a position to sign a string of quality players ready to go from day dot this season are really not dealing in the reality I'm afraid.

Eze is a very talented player, but for me can be a bit hot and cold. He’s a player who turned us over single handedly at Villa Park and I think we sometime have a little too much bias for those players who we’ve seen in the grand old stadium perform well, but remember Henri Lansbury did the same.

He will probably have a decent career at Palace, given his young age and how good he looked in the championship at times.

Even if he has a “good” career for palace, it doesn’t mean we should’ve bought him. He might come here and be a flop, and we’ve been guilty of buying players that don’t fit into a system before. His favoured position is left forward but we have a pretty decent one of them anyway.

I banged on about signing Bowen for ages though so I can’t talk, him or Bowen would both have been good additions for the right price.

I’m happy with Watkins and Barkley though in the forward ranks. The one I’m most worried about is Traore because I don’t know a lot about him, I can barely remember him for Chelsea. But many on here who follow European football were very positive about him, so I’ll run with that. My biggest concern with Traore is I think it’ll take him the majority of this season to get up to pace with our style and the game.