The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 223 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

I wonder if the manager's curse will hit Bruce. In my opinion, he did a very solid job for us considering the mess he inherited and he came very close to achieving success with us (but ultimately failed).

I would be surprised if he doesn't find another job quickly but we have a long history of ruining managers' careers.
Suppose it can look alright when you don;t pay to watch it every week

Last edited:
Agree he did a solid job under difficult conditions both professional and personal issues, turned around a basket case of a club and came within a whisker of promotion. Yes he lost the plot at the end with hindsight he should of gone after the Fulham game but the club was in free fall , he could have gone to Leeds if you believe the rumours but chose to stay .
Please stop saying we came within a whisker of promotion did we fuck we played ten men for nearly three quarters of the match and never got near em.

No insults from me, he stopped the rot and bringing in JT was a masterstroke, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation had a few players pulled their fingers out against Fulham, I hope he gets over the loss of his parents sooner rather than later, quite obvious it hit him hard, good luck to him.

Onward and upward

Wasn't the sending off on about 70 mins ?
Not sure now you say maybe I'm getting confused with Ipswich but even so there was only ever one winner that day and it certainly was never gonna be us and let's face it Bruce done his usual crap first half tactics of let them attack and if we don't concede we might nick one.But to say we came within a whisker way of the mark imo.

Think the truth lies somewhere in between the extremes. I don't buy the saved-the-club bit. We weren't going to get relegated; the results under RDM would have improved, and we could well have ended up higher than we did under Bruce that season, although I think making the playoffs probably wasn't going to happen.

What he did do was identify the players who really didn't want to be here and shipped them out, at quite useful prices. In doing so he cleaned the club of much of the underlying toxic atmosphere, which payed dividends later on. In general, the players he signed over the two years were good buys, good enough that it was astonishing we didn't do better.

Against that there was the lack of structure to what he was trying to do and hence many of the good buys were wasted; some were benched almost as soon as they arrived. Things never really clicked; there was the odd good performance, but they were the exceptions, there was the odd good run, but when one stopped it wasn't just a blip, it was followed by a bad run. We weren't going anywhere, we weren't building something for the future, we became mired in very strange team selections and the team looking lost on the field; it wasn't good enough.

Suppose it can look alright when you don;t pay to watch it every week

Gator, my old mate, how are you keeping?

You don't seem your usual cheery self these days.

I suppose you are right. I don't pay to watch it and when the matches are at awkward times, I don't bother. Still, one of the criticisms that has been levelled at every manager we have had in my lifetime is that the football is boring. Perhaps football is just more boring than we expect?

Gator, my old mate, how are you keeping?

You don't seem your usual cheery self these days.

I suppose you are right. I don't pay to watch it and when the matches are at awkward times, I don't bother. Still, one of the criticisms that has been levelled at every manager we have had in my lifetime is that the football is boring. Perhaps football is just more boring than we expect?
Hello BB I'm ok mate just a bit tired last night plus I'm trying to get this catering business off the ground but ever since the solicitors have got involved it all seems to have ground to halt so that's pissing me off a bit but I'm ok mate cheers.
But as for Bruce mate believe me I would say 80% of the time I was bored shitless.

It's tough going, starting your own business. I started mine 14 years ago but it took about 18 months to get any traction and probably 10 years before I felt that I had really cracked it.

All you can do is keep your head down and keep pushing through.

It's tough going, starting your own business. I started mine 14 years ago but it took about 18 months to get any traction and probably 10 years before I felt that I had really cracked it.

All you can do is keep your head down and keep pushing through.
Yeah I'm certainly up for the challenge and prepared to put the hard yards in but the solicitors always seem to take their time and they tend to stretch the job out. Fair enough they always make sure the pit falls are covered and that you get the best deal possible but every issue is a different letter sent which takes a fortnight for a response. But anyway shouldn't hijacking the thread like this and as for Bruce I always wanted him to be shown respect because I liked the man but once he knew he was losing the plot and realised the mistakes he had made were going to cost him his job he started to blame the media and fans and became quite arrogant and scathing with his remarks. Which took a lot of the respect I had for the man away he was just either burying his head in the sand or he was just too stubborn to admit to his short comings. Wembley swung it for me before the game I was quite happy to stick with Bruce whether it be in the prem or in the championship but that was one gutless performance I could not forgive.

Yeah I'm certainly up for the challenge and prepared to put the hard yards in but the solicitors always seem to take their time and they tend to stretch the job out. Fair enough they always make sure the pit falls are covered and that you get the best deal possible but every issue is a different letter sent which takes a fortnight for a response. But anyway shouldn't hijacking the thread like this and as for Bruce I always wanted him to be shown respect because I liked the man but once he knew he was losing the plot and realised the mistakes he had made were going to cost him his job he started to blame the media and fans and became quite arrogant and scathing with his remarks. Which took a lot of the respect I had for the man away he was just either burying his head in the sand or he was just too stubborn to admit to his short comings. Wembley swung it for me before the game I was quite happy to stick with Bruce whether it be in the prem or in the championship but that was one gutless performance I could not forgive.

I agree, a total letdown, made worse about midnight in Watford having to walk back half a mile to a curry house to get my phone the I left there in the middle of an electrical storm and extreme rain pelting down

I agree, a total letdown, made worse about midnight in Watford having to walk back half a mile to a curry house to get my phone the I left there in the middle of an electrical storm and extreme rain pelting down
Yes I remember that storm we got absolutely drenched waiting for the taxi cus the pub literally chucked everybody out at twelve I think and they wouldn't let us wait inside for it. Then we had this bird who was obviously touting for business with an habit trying to entice us back to some flat for a party yeah right ho.

Bruce is old news and everything you said is true Gator so bollocks to him now and no worries about going off topic. What's far more important for me to hear is the new business takes off and you are rewarded in the future.

After the ups and downs you have been through in the last few years you fully deserve it(y)

Bruce is old news and everything you said is true Gator so bollocks to him now and no worries about going off topic. What's far more important for me to hear is the new business takes off and you are rewarded in the future.

After the ups and downs you have been through in the last few years you fully deserve it(y)
Yeah cheers mate (y)

He started off doing things right and ended doing everything wrong.
Would have gone in the summer if it hadn’t been for the financial meltdown.

After watching and listening to Christian Purslow I'm pretty sure the new management knew well before he was eventually sacked that Bruce wasn't the right fit for them or the manager they see leading us forward and progressing.

In fact, the plans now being put in place at the club are so completely above his head and his managerial ability that I suspect he was only kept around until they were in a position complete their management positions and then adios Steve.

The whole game has now passed him by and I hope he retires happily to his Villa in Portugal and sticks to playing golf.

After watching and listening to Christian Purslow I'm pretty sure the new management knew well before he was eventually sacked that Bruce wasn't the right fit for them or the manager they see leading us forward and progressing.

In fact, the plans now being put in place at the club are so completely above his head and his managerial ability that I suspect he was only kept around until they were in a position complete their management positions and then adios Steve.

The whole game has now passed him by and I hope he retires happily to his Villa in Portugal and sticks to playing golf.

Yep, reckoned for some time it was a question of them acting when they were ready to; they weren't going to jump before, and once things were ready they didn't bother waiting for the Millwall match.