The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 193 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

I think the summer financial stuff really shit on his plans. He lost players he wanted and had settled at the club. Look at the keeper position for instance. He does need to get some consistency of performance, and I'm sure if we fall from the promotion places he will be gone.

That's the problem for me NI yes he steadied the ship and turned us round in that he did a very good job.But the problem is we seem to be stuck on the same level he seems incapable of taking us to the next level. After taking over from RDM he stopped us losing and got us winning games regularly but we hit a plateau that first season and the pattern has been the same ever since. Honestly think if Edens and Sawriss had been in charge after the play off final he would no longer be here and rightly so in my book.

loan players who leave at the end of the season - who'd have thunk it
jeez - even without the potless chancer there's likely turnover with loanees.
Perhaps he could have built a squad based on players we actually own - just a thought.

We're out of the playoff spots at the mo btw (way off auto obv)

Not in the top 6 now are we Bruce? A line he used in the press conference to justify the poor quality football that we have seen most of this season, already not true. If I were jack grealish I’d go, only way to make the next level if Bruce is left in charge.

Not in the top 6 now are we Bruce? A line he used in the press conference to justify the poor quality football that we have seen most of this season, already not true. If I were jack grealish I’d go, only way to make the next level if Bruce is left in charge.
Sadly Jack is only playing quality football in small quantities.
Either he's still in shock regards the fall of the big transfer or just being played wrong, as many have written.
Dont think a big club would be interested in him, maybe a Leicester or saints.
Cant see us getting 15 million for him.

Thought Jack was playing OK yesterday, maybe not his best but making things happen. Once he gets into a groove he'll be fine. The team organisation may be poor but he now has some cracking players around him. We're missing JT and Nyland has yet to prove himself, but apart from that I think we have a better squad than last year.

Now is the time to completely remove Steve Bruce from Aston Villa but what's more important is not rushing into sacking him rather wait and to try to ensure the new manager is the right fit for the club but of course, every new appointment is a risk however with this rent-a-gob still in charge it's a risk worth taking.

If that means no promotion this season then so be it because getting the club on the right settings for the future is the most important thing and that most certainly does not include Steve Bruce & Co.

Last edited:
Thought Jack was playing OK yesterday, maybe not his best but making things happen. Once he gets into a groove he'll be fine. The team organisation may be poor but he now has some cracking players around him. We're missing JT and Nyland has yet to prove himself, but apart from that I think we have a better squad than last year.

Actually McP, Jack hasn't a very good end product ratio.
He's played 9 games this season and has only assisted one goal, while failing to score.
He doesn't have a very good ratio overall, either scoring or assisting.
He's played 119 games in various leagues, assisted 16 and scored 8. Thats him involved in a goal roughly once every five games.

He's played 9 games this season and has only assisted one goal, while failing to score.
He's played 119 games in various leagues, assisted 16 and scored 8. Thats him involved in a goal roughly once every five games.

Unfortunately you don't get points for assisting assists. You also don't get points for gaining a free kick which leads to a goal. Stats can lie.

Abraham's goal on Tuesday was the best bit of play I've seen for a long time, and it was all started by Jack. If Bruce has the courage to continue playing Kodj and Tammy up front then Jack is ideal as the playmaker.

Make no bones about it, with the attacking talent of McGinn, Grealish, Bolasie, Hourihane, Kodja and Abraham all fit regularly, we are right to expect him to find a way of enabling us to beat the majority of teams and the expectation of remaining not just in the playoff spots, but in or around the automatic promotion places is realistic.

Why wouldn't supporters be disappointed with draws against inferior opposition and a drubbing by a team that may make a play off spot. Why wouldn't supporters be unhappy with a cobbled together defence? We've had 10 years of failure and disappointment! He can't just sign talented attacking players and expect them to find their own way.

His job, the reason he is paid a fortune is to facilitate the team's success and manage the pressure and expectation. He's made a start in changing things, in terms of having an alternative plan B with two upfront and no defensive minder. Good - Should have happened last season.

When we've beaten all of Leeds , Boro, Albion, Derby, Blues, Stoke, Swansea, he might be in a position to feel he has justified his employment.

Thing I worry about is , IF we get rid of Bruce , WHO do we bring in ?
Because I know a lot of you have made you mind up you are totally anti Bruce, but I worry we can end up with worse. And believe me we could, I have been a Villa fan for nearly 50 years. Add the extra disruption which I personally think we could do without. I worry , I do worry !

But his chances created per 90 minutes was the best in the league last season so depends on how you class “end product”. He creates space and links up the play very well and I would imagine he is involved in a very % of goals at some point in the attack - but anyone who has watched a villa game will have seen we are set up to get crosses into the box from out wide which isn’t really his game so it is no surprise he doesn’t score or assist many as he isn’t going to get into the box and score headers and he isn’t the type of player who will blindly cross the ball

Thing I worry about is , IF we get rid of Bruce , WHO do we bring in ?
Because I know a lot of you have made you mind up you are totally anti Bruce, but I worry we can end up with worse. And believe me we could, I have been a Villa fan for nearly 50 years. Add the extra disruption which I personally think we could do without. I worry , I do worry !
With the squad we have I'd confidently rule out being relegated. Therefore there's no real risk to replacing him now in my opinion.

But his chances created per 90 minutes was the best in the league last season so depends on how you class “end product”. He creates space and links up the play very well and I would imagine he is involved in a very % of goals at some point in the attack - but anyone who has watched a villa game will have seen we are set up to get crosses into the box from out wide which isn’t really his game so it is no surprise he doesn’t score or assist many as he isn’t going to get into the box and score headers and he isn’t the type of player who will blindly cross the ball
Last season is finished and history. This season he has been well off the pace.
Maybe after Tuesday in which he set up the move for the goal, he will wake up.
His goal record is shocking for a player of his potential quality.
So sorry that will upset his fan club on here.