The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 192 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

If I was Steve Bruce I'd sign Peter Crouch in January and play him at centreback.
Bruce reckons Jedinaks good there because he wins headers, so Crouch would be a cinch to win more headers at 6'7".
I'd get Mrs Crouch to parade around in a string bikini, that way I don't think the fans would notice the terrible performances.

He did the same at Sunderland hitting out. Why not look at himself instead? He's caused a storm that wasn't needed instead of focussing on the positives.

I'm growing very tired I have to say!

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...d-of-the-club-talked-about-empty-seats-mlord/

well I think he makes a very valid point. Look at the table. We have lost a single league game this season so far. One. After a summer of complete chaos. How many players did we lose, especially down the spine of the team? It takes time for players to click. Have performances been good enough? No. Has the criticism been proportional and we'll considered from the fans? Absolutely not. Some have axes to grind because he is experienced. Some will never like him because he managed Blues. Some will not be happy until we have some unknown Argentinean in charge from Spanish division 3. Some think it is like a computer game and you just need to slot players in and they will perform to their best straight away.

I was talking to a couple of Bristol City fans yesterday, and their outlook on this league was refreshing, of course they are used to it, it seems some of Villa's fans need to understand that we don't have an automatic right to be at the top of the league.

Seems he's determined to stay. I suspect he thinks that his way is good enough to get us to the playoffs and even promoted. It may be, although there has to be doubts.

Thing is, the issues such as whether the right coaching is going on and whether the right setup is being used on the pitch matter hugely. If either or both are wrong then we're relying on the sheer quality of the invidual players to compensate well enough to get the results we need.

It seems that's the case, which risks us not getting to the playoffs, is bound to have an impact on the squad, and means we're not building a team for the future.

We haven't the faintest how the owners view it, nor will we, yet. They may be asking serious questions about what sort of team we're developing; they may be simply looking at where we are in the table; they may be doing neither.

I was talking to a couple of Bristol City fans yesterday, and their outlook on this league was refreshing, of course they are used to it, it seems some of Villa's fans need to understand that we don't have an automatic right to be at the top of the league.

So we're supposed to have the same expectations as the likes of Bristol City? There's no way this club should be getting used to the Championship.

No, we don't have a divine right to be top of the league, but now in our third year we haven't been even close to challenging for automatic promotion. It's not good enough.

well I think he makes a very valid point. Look at the table. We have lost a single league game this season so far. One. After a summer of complete chaos. How many players did we lose, especially down the spine of the team? It takes time for players to click. Have performances been good enough? No. Has the criticism been proportional and we'll considered from the fans? Absolutely not. Some have axes to grind because he is experienced. Some will never like him because he managed Blues. Some will not be happy until we have some unknown Argentinean in charge from Spanish division 3. Some think it is like a computer game and you just need to slot players in and they will perform to their best straight away.

Fair enough about the league table; we're still very much in there. But over the last two years, very rarely have performances been good enough. We've had occasional high spots like beating Wolves, but too often we go off the boil; it's as though the individual talent does come together properly for the odd game, the rest of the time we're relying on the odd bit of individual talent nicking a result.

We can only go by what we see on the field, and that's ineffective enough to justify the criticism of what the manager and coaches are producing. I think most of us would be delighted if it all clicked and we sailed onwards with the performances and results the talent we have should bring. But for too long we've been frustrated and disappointed.

I guess we look good in 10 mins of highlights but sitting there for the other 80 mins plus all the travelling and the ticket costs mean those of us who go to games have a slightly different take on things and our overrated manager.
The football is rubbish right up there with Lambert and no amount of spin and wishing is going to make Bruce into a manager fit to manage our great club. Totally out of his depth. Sooner he's gone the sooner we can really start to go forwards

But the table doesn't lie does it? Third last year, 6th after nine games this season losing only one. I'm not saying Bruce doesn't deserve criticism, that we play champagne footy ( By the way how many decades has it been since we have?), of course he does, and I'm sure he would accept a reasoned argument over the style and results so far this season, but calling for his head after one defeat, doesn't that sound a little harsh? It seems that Villa fans have an over inflated opinion of the club and where it stands at the moment. We are a very decent Championship club among ten other decent Championship clubs in a division where anybody can beat anybody else. Thats it., no more. Does anybody really believe this squad is head and shoulders better than any other team in the division, and if you do where is the evidence for that? Why aren't Premiership clubs desperate to buy our first team squad?

No one has a right to anything but if I give person a £100000 to buy a house and person b £500,000.to buy a house guess who lives in the bigger and nicer house. If you pay big wages and transfer fees in the championship you should piss it. We get bigger crowds, pay bigger wages and probably have the boggest squad, no excuses at all. Steve Bruce is a jammy bastard because in all of his managerial career he hasn't earnt the right to be villa manager and why has he 4 promotions on his cv? If he's that good he would have stayed in the Premier league. He has made a big mistake having a nibble at the fans because the football on offer has been by and large shit for the last two years. When he does get the boot I will put my foot through the TV the first time I see his mates in the media blow smoke up his arse. He couldn't hold a candle to Vic crowe.

LOL, hasn't earned the right to be a Villa manager? Who does have the right eh? How many decent managers have we had in the last 20 years?

But the table doesn't lie does it? Third last year, 6th after nine games this season losing only one. I'm not saying Bruce doesn't deserve criticism, that we play champagne footy ( By the way how many decades has it been since we have?), of course he does, and I'm sure he would accept a reasoned argument over the style and results so far this season, but calling for his head after one defeat, doesn't that sound a little harsh? It seems that Villa fans have an over inflated opinion of the club and where it stands at the moment. We are a very decent Championship club among ten other decent Championship clubs in a division where anybody can beat anybody else. Thats it., no more. Does anybody really believe this squad is head and shoulders better than any other team in the division, and if you do where is the evidence for that? Why aren't Premiership clubs desperate to buy our first team squad?
My problem Wurzel is the complete lack of progress after 3 years of Bruce. We still play like a bunch of people who have never played together before. Like many others I am frustrated with the lack of cohesion and consistency.

As for our squad I would think that if they had to n9minate a Championship Team Villa, (on paper) would probably have 4 or 5 players in that team

The lack of progress in 3 years debate is interesting... I think thats just the way things are in the lower leagues... all Championship clubs take advantage of the loan market. If you are loaning 6 players every season and then losing them and loaning another 6 then you are going to need time to settle them all in again.

Don't think it's just us.

If the takeover had happened earlier then we may have been able to keep Johnstone, Snodgrass, Grabban..... hard to blame Bruce for that. It's just modern football.

LOL, hasn't earned the right to be a Villa manager? Who does have the right eh? How many decent managers have we had in the last 20 years?
Sir Graham, big Ron, little, Gregory, one ill, he's a c++t and I can't wait for him to be dropped on the pile with the other clowns.

Dean Smith pisses all over this clown and I'd happily take him. Sunderland, the shit, Palace, Huddersfield, Wigan and Hull, do me a favour in all my 49 years they are nothing clubs and low and behold so are we now. He sagged the fans off, he can fuck off and do one and take his 2m pay off, can't stand the bloke or his like, we owe him absolutely nothing and the shit he has turned out on a regular basis makes my piss Boyle
Vic crowes claret and n blue army.

pvb, get off the fence. What do you really think of Bruce? lol

What he thinks is fine. It's the personal stuff and abuse of a decent man that's a bit pants.

Calm down PVB. And leave your tv alone.

If you want to donate to help PVB's tv. Please text to the following number.....

#helpthetv

Do you see a strategy to Bruces management mate? A longer term plan being implemented? I can't see anything and that's the big worry. The performances seem poor to me even when we don't lose. After 2 years I'm not sure how Bruce wants the team to play.
He stabilised the club when it was needed, but nothing about him makes me think he's the right guy going forward.

Strangely have no personal dislike of Bruce nor do I care that he managed Blues. No I am honest enough to say he was never my choice as manager but then we rarely get who we would personally like. My problem with Bruce is despite the time he has been here and allowing for loans in and out we have no recognised style of play. Its not as if we choose players to slot into our style we cant because there is not one. So we buy what looks like the best available in the championship (Bree setting the league alight for Barnsley on a 4 1/2 year contract then put him in the reserves.) Could go on to list them Hogan, Landsbury etc my point is they do not slot in because we have no recognisable style of play. In my humble this leads to the poor football that many complain about. I also wonder what we are doing re- coaching during the week because of a match day we look like a team of individuals all hoping that someone will do something to pull our fat out of the fire.

Last edited: