The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 189 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

He's paid to manage the team and get it promoted and with the resources at hand that is achievable. His team has no distinctive style of play and results show 8 wins in the last 23 games, by that statistic alone he should not be manager purely for the fact that he isn't achieving what is and will be necessary to get the club promoted and even if he did he would not remain as manager anyway.

Although I'm not enjoying what I'm seeing at the moment I'm also not enjoying the personal remarks aimed at Bruce. I know he seems to have lost the plot at the moment and the playing style and results are far from satisfactory but name calling strikes me as a bit juvenile. This is a man who steadied the ship at a crucial time and, whether by design or accident, took us to the brink of promotion. I realise that mistakes on his part contributed to us failing in getting automatic promotion but he deserves a measure of respect for getting us to within a goal of going up. If he has to go then so be it, it's the price of failure, but personal abuse of a man who has worked on our behalf is graceless.

The more I look at where we are, the more I think what a mess! We have a transfer window which on paper has brought in some good players, but it seems with no real thought as to how the team will play, or the impact on the squad. And we have failed to bring in needed players again with no real thought about the impact of that.

Net result is that players who looked as though they could be part of a promotion push are now lucky to get on the bench. Is there now any hope of the likes of Hourihane, Barney and Whelan starting? Is Kodjia in the same boat? Is Adomah simply keeping a place warm for Bolassie?

It's not all like that. El Ghazi is apparently "not yet ready" to start, so is also bench warming, someone who looks like an exciting out-and-out attacking winger. And there are other questions; Tuanzebe is now getting a chance at CB, but for how long and is it only until Bruce can get in yet more loanees in January?

As far our home-grown players, not a sight, and that looks set in stone. Expect the remainder of our U23s to be shipped out in January. Expect more of our senior players to be "given the Elphick". Expect the exodus of those senior players to be the signal for yet more loans inwards. To play where? It's not only the benched players; if Bruce had the choice between keeping Grealish and selling him to fund yet more signings, has anybody any confidence he'd do the former?

To me Bruce is set to outdo the shambles he left at Sunderland. If he stays, the cost to this club will be massive.

Although I'm not enjoying what I'm seeing at the moment I'm also not enjoying the personal remarks aimed at Bruce. I know he seems to have lost the plot at the moment and the playing style and results are far from satisfactory but name calling strikes me as a bit juvenile. This is a man who steadied the ship at a crucial time and, whether by design or accident, took us to the brink of promotion. I realise that mistakes on his part contributed to us failing in getting automatic promotion but he deserves a measure of respect for getting us to within a goal of going up. If he has to go then so be it, it's the price of failure, but personal abuse of a man who has worked on our behalf is graceless.

:clap:

6 points in the bag by 5pm Saturday will paint a rosier picture

And that's the depressing thing in a way. Rosier picture in the short term but sadly we all know that the pattern will return and the wins not maintained.

Depressing because athough we all think it's bad now, it will have to get worse for the owners to act. The owners are simply not going to act as soon as we want
We are still a while off him going.

I hope he turns it around because that means we will be successful but it's just not going to happen is it.

Many OTT comments on here again as emotions run high.

Please remember that SB is not deliberately attempting to lose, or play shit football. His methods are what they are, he has always had a small club mentality in management out of necessity. Players also are a different generation and they respond to different stimulus.

He has done his job, stablised the club and should now understand that someone else with the energy and passion to take us forward, be given the opportunity. Perhaps move him upstairs to DoF, perhaps a different direction altogether. Just let's not get too personal about a guy who works in a high pressure environment and has had shite personal circumstances to deal with recently.

He gets paid handsomely. He will walk away with a few million. Let’s not get too nicey nicey. I do agree though that personal insults etc ain’t great.

Personal insults are a said in the heat of the moment and on reflection would be withdrawn. When someone is paid 2m a year to do a job there is no sentiment, no loyalty just can you do the job required. We don't owe a gratitude to any manager, that's how it works now, getting the bullit from your job when you can't pay the mortgage is another world to being paid 2m quid for not being any good. Football is now full of sharks and sicofants, ex players and managers alike who fluff up to each other.

Just watched the Matt Kendrick video on Bruce 40 mins long and it doesn`t pull any punches, it looks like the local media are turning the screw on him (Bruce) and about time for too. For too long Bruce has not been held accountable for ridiculous tactical decisions his inability to get the best out his team. At this point, as Matt said it seems like a lot of his rhetoric is just self-preservation.

Steve bruce, you employ a plumber to fix a leak, he tells you where the leak is but can't do fuck all about it because he's a plasterer.

Ah well, 2 home games and let's see. I personally don't care if we win both. I do have faith in our new owners and ceo so even though I'm totally pissed off with the clown in charge I have an ultimate belief that the club will progress and smash this league with a new management team.
Bluenose Bruce out, he jumped on our pith when them filthy bastards scored.

How long has he got? The same length as a bit of string. Nobody knows. Some think he'll be here in January, or even next summer. Me, I think we'd to improve enough to be fairly consistent top 6 for that to be possible.

If we continue with this dross and poor results, I think it'll do for him. The fans are already turning, but it could get far worse. The owners might ignore it, but would they? Somewhere along the line they must have plans for the future, and team performance has to be right near the top.

That's pretty worrying isn't it. As much as I want Bruce to do well, 8 wins in 22 games isn't good.

For auto promotion you really need to be winning around 60% of your games.

8 wins in 22 is a win ratio of around 36%. Way off.

That's pretty worrying isn't it. As much as I want Bruce to do well, 8 wins in 22 games isn't good.

For auto promotion you really need to be winning around 60% of your games.

8 wins in 22 is a win ratio of around 36%. Way off.

Yes you need more or less an average of 2 points per game to go up. Based on that run of games we are a long way off that.