The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 224 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

We now know Steve Bruce was on borrowed time from the start of the season, new ceo, scouts gone then management team. What an absolute breath of fresh air, no guarantee of success but so what.

Would we have got promoted if SB had still been at the helm?
Who really knows but he did stop the rot and got us to the play-offs last season. So it's right, in my opinion, to be magnanimous about his not insignificant contribution.

Yeah, for some reason, players will come and play for him - JT, Snoddy et al.

He ain't all bad, just wish his team talk wasn't at the Dog & Duck with a pint and a pork pie :smoke:

Bruce stabilised a mortally wounded club. He almost worked a miracle, then that project was curtailed, belief ended. Bruce needed some personal time out , he hadn't grieved his mom and dad departures .
I can't slate Bruce he's given his all amid difficult personal issues. He did play a big part in this clubs turnaround and for that the credit is deserved and fair play Dean o for acknowledging that

Bruce stabilised a mortally wounded club. He almost worked a miracle, then that project was curtailed, belief ended. Bruce needed some personal time out , he hadn't grieved his mom and dad departures .
I can't slate Bruce he's given his all amid difficult personal issues. He did play a big part in this clubs turnaround and for that the credit is deserved and fair play Dean o for acknowledging that
He will probably get a tune out that Sheff Wednesday team next season - hope he does the double over the Scum and the Stripey Filth

Lets not forget mitigating factors when looking at the last months of Steve Bruces time at Villa. Fuck all owner to be seen, no money, Financial Fair Play, loads of players getting loads of money sitting on their fucking arses getting up to £50,000 a WEEK, his personal Issues with family life.

I really only have respect for what he did when he arrived at the club, we were in a shit state and he turned it around. Let not always remember the last few crap weeks lets also appreciate the good work too.

Lets not forget mitigating factors when looking at the last months of Steve Bruces time at Villa. Fuck all owner to be seen, no money, Financial Fair Play, loads of players getting loads of money sitting on their fucking arses getting up to £50,000 a WEEK, his personal Issues with family life.

I really only have respect for what he did when he arrived at the club, we were in a shit state and he turned it around. Let not always remember the last few crap weeks lets also appreciate the good work too.
Spot on. Nobody could have blamed him for walking away when the true extent of the shit storm was revealed. But he was prepared to keep going knowing that he would potentially lose all of his top players and have to start from scratch

Spot on. Nobody could have blamed him for walking away when the true extent of the shit storm was revealed. But he was prepared to keep going knowing that he would potentially lose all of his top players and have to start from scratch
I am ambivalent about his time at Villa. He does need credit for the good work that he did under difficult circumstances and we do need to acknowledge that. However, his approach to playing the game was questionable and the try not to lose mentality was never going to endear him to the fans.
I think I can sum up the differences between the SB era and the current DS approach by looking at the two play off finals. I have a contact at the club who offered me a chance to buy tickets for last year's final and I declined. In the lead up to the final, I was hopeful of a result but deep down knew it was unlikely. This year as soon as Tammy's penalty went in I sent a message saying that I would like the tickets. I knew that we would go to Wembley and give it a real go. As opposed to being 'hopeful' I was fairly confident of tge result. In listening to DS in the interview when asked where he would like to finish in the PL, he replied that he wanted to win it. That is the difference and that is why SB had to go.
Thanks Steve and I wish you well.

He can take some credit for some of the players he brought in, but for me its not just being able to spot a good player, its what you do with them that matters, Smith has managed those players far better.

Yeah, for some reason, players will come and play for him - JT, Snoddy et al.

He ain't all bad, just wish his team talk wasn't at the Dog & Duck with a pint and a pork pie :smoke:

I've played at the Dog and Duck :grinning:, Wellingborough Town's ground. Team talks in the United Counties league during the 1980's were all hairdryers, cup throwing and pulling your socks up :throw:. Comical when you look back at it.

All that for £20 a game + free beer and win bonus. Very Steve Bruce