The Official Shrewsbury Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Simeon Jackson "for all your last minute needs") | Vital Football

The Official Shrewsbury Town Match Thread (Sponsored by Simeon Jackson "for all your last minute needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
We return to action against the Shrews today (another 3.00pm kick-off, praise be) after a fairly deflating defeat at the hands of Blackpool last time out. The wheels on the play-off bandwagon are now very wobbly indeed and anything less than a win today will almost certainly be the end of our ambitions for this season.

Shrewsbury currently lie in 17th place in the table and probably only require a single point from their remaining nine matches to be sure of another season in League One. They come into this game off the back of an excellent 3-0 win over table neighbours, Plymouth, although they had lost their preceeding two games prior to that. They've failed to mount a consistent run of results all season, which would account for their lower mid-table position.

Gills are hopeful that Robbie Cundy will make a return to the side today, his absence has seemingly coincided with us going off the boil. He has been an excellent loan signing and if he was deemed surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate, I'd love to see him back here again next season, I can fully understand why Cambridge fans were saddened when he was recalled.

With both Manager and Player of the Month awards deservedly winging their way to Priestfield this week, will the "curse" strike today or will Big V continue his incredible run of form and keep our wafer thin hopes going for one more game?

The away fixture earlier in the season saw us equalise with the last kick of the game through Jordan Graham, we love a last minute goal against Shrewsbury and they are not a rare commodity, with Gills stealing points in 2016/17 (Ehmer) and 2018/19 (Eeeeaaaaves) as well as the famous Wembley winner 12 years ago.

That said, we've only won once (last season) in Shrewsbury's last seven visits to Priestfield and they are remarkably niggly opposition for us over the years, leading us by 23 wins to 19 overall, their goal difference boosted by the 7-0 shellacking we received in our promotion season. I left that one before half time with the score at 4-0 intending to find Mrs Ljunga who was shopping in Shrewsbury. Her phone had died (convenient) so I ended up sat in my car in the park and ride awaiting her return, listening on the radio to the game I'd paid to be at and left as goals 5, 6 and 7 went in. Not a fun afternoon.

Here's hoping we can smash the Manager of the Month curse and the Shrews and carry on chasing the pack for one more week at least.

COYG!

Last edited:
We return to action against the Shrews today (another 3.00pm kick-off, praise be) after a fairly deflating defeat at the hands of Blackpool last time out. The wheels on the play-off bandwagon are now very wobbly indeed and anything less than a win today will almost certainly be the end of our ambitions for this season.

Shrewsbury currently lie in 17th place in the table and probably only require a single point from their remaining nine matches to be sure of another season in League One. They come into this game off the back of an excellent 3-0 win over table neighbours, Plymouth, although they had lost their preceeding two games prior to that. They've failed to mount a consistent run of results all season, which would account for their lower mid-table position.

Gills are hopeful that Robbie Cundy will make a return to the side today, his absence has seemingly coincided with us going off the boil. He has been an excellent loan signing and if he was deemed surplus to requirements at Ashton Gate, I'd love to see him back here again next season, I can fully understand why Cambridge fans were saddened when he was recalled.

With both Manager and Player of the Month awards deservedly winging their way to Priestfield this week, will the "curse" strike today or will Big V continue his incredible run of form and keep our wafer thin hopes going for one more game?

The away fixture earlier in the season saw us equalise with the last kick of the game through Jordan Graham, we love a last minute goal against Shrewsbury and they are not a rare commodity, with Gills stealing points in 2016/17 (Ehmer) and 2018/19 (Eeeeaaaaves) as well as the famous Wembley winner 12 years ago.

That said, we've only won once (last season) in Shrewsbury's last seven visits to Priestfield and they are remarkably niggly opposition for us over the years, leading us by 23 wins to 19 overall, their goal difference boosted by the 7-0 shellacking we received in our promotion season. I left that one before half time with the score at 4-0 intending to find Mrs Ljunga who was shopping in Shrewsbury. Her phone had died (convenient) so I ended up sat in my car in the park and ride awaiting her return, listening on the radio to the game I'd paid to be at and left as goals 5, 6 and 7 went in. Not a fun afternoon.

Here's hoping we can smash the Manager of the Month curse and the Shrews and carry on chasing the pack for one more week at least.

COYG!

Blackpool were the curse!

This is the first game of 2021 I won't be watching.

It's first day out after sitting in a windowless 3x3m room for 2 weeks so can't justify sitting indoors all day. Golf is the order of my afternoon ⛳

Good luck boys and I look forward reading lots of "YESSSSSSS" but no "pathetic" when I take a look this evening.

More than usually a good, high tempos start is essential. The Blackpool game ewas a reality check on what was a a pretty long shot anyway and the nature of the dfeat could easily mark the end of our season. Evans and Raynor will be determined to avoid that and this group of players have proved fairly consistently competitive. A good start and an early goal and I think we could win convincingly. Significantly Graham showed flashes of his old self last week.

Agree. Graham is pivotal to our success.
Big V with an early goal and hopefully the normal defence to start.
Young Tommy did his best but we look stronger with Connor at LB and Cundy next to Tucker.
In my opinion obviously.

Why the tannoy needs to be so loud without a crowd I still do not understand. The announcer also still shouts as if a crowd is in the ground lol and it is so loud today that it is like being in the ground.

Hearing the actual match noise from the ground I imagine it must be like this in normal times in the gordon rd stand.
Makes you want to be in the ground :(

Yes, started well - Shrews didn't come out of the box. Great chances for Ogilvie and V - should have had one. Shrews them came into it and were on top without creating anything. Even and pretty dull at the moment.