The Official Pompey Match Thread (sponsored by Thatchers Haze "for all your hangover needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Pompey Match Thread (sponsored by Thatchers Haze "for all your hangover needs")

I found myself a few jobs in the garden to avoid the build up and succumbing to ifollow. Happy with a point and it sounded like an improvement. Am I the only one who quietly cheers every point at this stage while calculating how many points clear we are of the bottom four? There have been catastrophic descents over the years from apparently comfortable positions. Once there is nothing to play for some teams stop playing. We are inching towards 50

I found myself a few jobs in the garden to avoid the build up and succumbing to ifollow. Happy with a point and it sounded like an improvement. Am I the only one who quietly cheers every point at this stage while calculating how many points clear we are of the bottom four? There have been catastrophic descents over the years from apparently comfortable positions. Once there is nothing to play for some teams stop playing. We are inching towards 50

I think you might be underestimating just how appalling the teams at the very bottom are.

How we've managed to lose to Northampton and Wimbledon is beyond me, they are, to use my favourite Kentish word, jank.

Decided to do some DIY and not watch or listen today. Just seen the goals and the defending wasn't the best from either team but overall sounds like a much improved performance and a deserved, hard earned point and maybe could've been more.

Here's hoping we can get some consistency going and string some results together to first and foremost get to 50 points as quickly as possible.

I think you might be underestimating just how appalling the teams at the very bottom are.

How we've managed to lose to Northampton and Wimbledon is beyond me, they are, to use my favourite Kentish word, jank.

We lost at home to Burton as well.

It may seem that those teams are all jank but look back at the final table for the past decade or so and you will see that teams always need at least 48 points to be safe.

For a start, they all have to play each other so the points have to go somewhere. Some will change their manager and then go on a run like Burton.

With our inconsistency, we could still lose our second games against Swindon, Wigan and Northampton to help them out, as we can be appalling on our day.

I will breathe easier only when we reach 51 points.

All a bit negative here tonight!

I enjoyed that game and if any team was going to win it it was us. That’s against a team still hoping to be in the automatic places. Let’s keep looking up not down!
Totally agree I wouldn’t have been thinking lucky win today if we had taken three points if I am honest

Not a dissimilar match and pattern of play to Tuesday’s defeat at Wimbledon, where we were the poorer of two physical direct teams in the first half but the better and more likely winner in the second half - thankfully, we didn’t let in a howler to lose like we did on Tuesday and had the much better chances to win in the second half. Akinde had a one on one he should have stuck in at the end, Oliver and Ogilvie amongst others should have done better with headers, O’Connor had a great chance from about 10 yards out and Dempsey hit the post with a good effort from the edge of the box. To be fair, Bonham made
Some good saves but their keeper did too. All in, we deserved to win it in the end, but I must say that Portsmouth are easily in the bottom half dozen or so teams I’ve seen this season both in terms of their threat up front, defence that always looked in trouble and their genera direct approach which is far from dissimilar to our own or say Wimbledon’s or Northampton’s style of play, despite what their commentators seemed to think.

When did shoulder barges to an oppos chest become OK ?

The run by Harness (?) before crossing for their goal....
...started with the Portsmouth player barging into the Gills' player's chest (O'Connor ?)

That wasn't even close to shoulder to shoulder.
How wasn't that a foul ?:mad:

Harness beat Lee, O’Connor & Ogilvie in that order.
I missed the obvious foul but did notice some brilliant wing work.

Harness beat Lee, O’Connor & Ogilvie in that order.
I missed the obvious foul but did notice some brilliant wing work.

Beat? That implies that they tried to stop him. O'Connor and Ogilivies defensive efforts leading to the goal were shocking.

Granted the cross from Harness was accurate and picked out an unmarked Raggett to score with a free header.

From a defensive point of view the defending was Sunday morning park stuff.

Beat? That implies that they tried to stop him. O'Connor and Ogilivies defensive efforts leading to the goal were shocking.

Granted the cross from Harness was accurate and picked out an unmarked Raggett to score with a free header.

Maybe one of them should have done a Hess style rugby tackle and risk a straight red?
When a player runs with firm intent and at that pace, it’s a massive risk to attempt to tackle.
Watch it back and you’ll see that it was excellent play by the Pompey guy.
Has our Graham done that and Oliver got on the end, we’d be proclaiming brilliant play not crap defending.

Just a bit of credit where it’s due.

All a bit negative here tonight!

I enjoyed that game and if any team was going to win it it was us. That’s against a team still hoping to be in the automatic places. Let’s keep looking up not down!

Probably true, It was a decent performance and a point at Pompey, having lost 2-0 at home to them, is always decent.

The problem is that we have been positive about several performances this year (most recently Sunderland and Charlton) but that is nearly always followed by a dire effort in the next game, either for 45 or the full 90 minutes.

The next game against MK Dons is on a Tuesday, so we can be pretty sure that we will not turn up, at least for the first 45 minutes.

Weirdly correct GBN
We have no consistency at all and that’s why we are sitting in the middle with little to play for.
Roll on 50 points

Maybe one of them should have done a Hess style rugby tackle and risk a straight red?
When a player runs with firm intent and at that pace, it’s a massive risk to attempt to tackle.
Watch it back and you’ll see that it was excellent play by the Pompey guy.
Has our Graham done that and Oliver got on the end, we’d be proclaiming brilliant play not crap defending.

Just a bit of credit where it’s due.

Watched in back numerous times. Neither O'Connor or Ogilivie even attempt to make anything like a tackle. Ogilvie got his positioning all wrong and sold himself into a position where he couldn't make a tackle, that's not good defending.

The credit is for the cross and picking out an unmarked player to score. From a defensive point of view the lead up to it was crap. Think SE described it as defensively sloppy with two poor missed challenges.

Missed chances are all part of the game - you cant just say we should have won based on more chances created; at this level prob more than 50% of good chances are missed. Oliver and Akinde are aerial threats and difficult to win the ball off but do miss a lot of headed chances - Graham must feel like tearing his hair out at times. So a draw was a fair result - as is a midtable position
Two v interesting home games this week. The Evans-Lambert spat-fest will give the cameras more to do than the football on Sat, but MK Dons are the sort of ball-playing lightweight team that Gills have done well against this season, and so should be a good game to watch and a probable win; Ipswich more likely a 0-0

I said this at the time - it was poor from both of our players. I think it was Lee who gave it away and then made little effort to get it back and then Ogilvie's challenge was pathetic. Both should have done better and failing that, taken one for the team. A decent cross but there was no challenge and it was a free cross, so easy to pick out Raggett, who was also completely unmarked, so a poor goal defensively. The only controversy about the goal was the free kick that lead to it. Their guy basically just fell onto O'Connor on the touchline and was given a foul - if anything it was a foul the other way. For once, things were evened up as the ref gave a soft foul against them for a disallowed goal in the second half. After that, there was only one team in it and we deserved to and would have won easily were we more clinical.