The Official Pompey Match Thread (sponsored by Thatchers Haze "for all your hangover needs") | Vital Football

The Official Pompey Match Thread (sponsored by Thatchers Haze "for all your hangover needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
We won't speak of Tuesday night, that was an unmitigated shitshow, but so typically Gillingham that I'm surprised it has given me the hump as much as it has.

So, to Pompey. Sat fourth in the table, their form this calendar year has mirrored our own, being fairly inconsistent. It is quite an achievement to beat a side 4-0 at home (as they did against our bogey side Wimbledon) and then lose by the same scoreline just four days later against Hull. Their 1-0 win away at Oxford in the week followed back to back defeats.

The one plus from not being able to attend Fratton Park today is not having to listen to John "Portsmouth Football Club" Westwood ringing that sodding bell all game. The odious antiquarian bookseller was once unceremoniously booted out of Priestfield during a game in September 2002 where his own fans described him as "a drunken yob". Yob or knob, the only irritating sound to be heard today will likely be The Screecher from BBC Radio Kent as he bodges his way through yet another commentary.

Having won handsomely on two of our last three visits to Pompey, due in large part to goals of special magnificence from Connor Wilkinson and Tom Eaaaaaaaves, it is not beyond the bounds of expectation for Gills to come up trumps again especially given Portsmouth inconsistencies. However, this would require a performance in both halves of the game, something we've been loathe to do for the first 45 minutes of our last two matches. The half-time bollocking from our rubicund manager failing to have the desired impact in terms of a result on Tuesday.

There's also some egg-chasing against the Leek Lickers later if the football all goes horribly wrong.

Right, I'm off for cofeve and bacon and a handful of Nurofen to shift this growing hangover. Enjoy!

We won't speak of Tuesday night, that was an unmitigated shitshow, but so typically Gillingham that I'm surprised it has given me the hump as much as it has.

So, to Pompey. Sat fourth in the table, their form this calendar year has mirrored our own, being fairly inconsistent. It is quite an achievement to beat a side 4-0 at home (as they did against our bogey side Wimbledon) and then lose by the same scoreline just four days later against Hull. Their 1-0 win away at Oxford in the week followed back to back defeats.

The one plus from not being able to attend Fratton Park today is not having to listen to John "Portsmouth Football Club" Westwood ringing that sodding bell all game. The odious antiquarian bookseller was once unceremoniously booted out of Priestfield during a game in September 2002 where his own fans described him as "a drunken yob". Yob or knob, the only irritating sound to be heard today will likely be The Screecher from BBC Radio Kent as he bodges his way through yet another commentary.

Having won handsomely on two of our last three visits to Pompey, due in large part to goals of special magnificence from Connor Wilkinson and Tom Eaaaaaaaves, it is not beyond the bounds of expectation for Gills to come up trumps again especially given Portsmouth inconsistencies. However, this would require a performance in both halves of the game, something we've been loathe to do for the first 45 minutes of our last two matches. The half-time bollocking from our rubicund manager failing to have the desired impact in terms of a result on Tuesday.

There's also some egg-chasing against the Leek Lickers later if the football all goes horribly wrong.

Right, I'm off for cofeve and bacon and a handful of Nurofen to shift this growing hangover. Enjoy!

'Rubicund' Perfect! 😁👍

The amount of McEwan's export I will require during the match will absolutely be relative to the score. If we are losing then I will require copious amounts in order to drown my sorrows and if by some miracle we should leave Fratton Park victorious, that too will also require said copious amounts for the celebration party (me only). Win or lose, today I win!!!!!

I cooked a curry last night-with homemade onion bajhis no less. Smashing!

Anyway, just to say good effort again Herr. A stay of execution after Tuesday nights debacle. Pleased to tell you all I am finishing some decorating prep this afternoon so will be tuning in for screeching commentary and not live pictures. Due to this we are bound to get a result. You watchers can thank me later.

Blitzed the hangover with two pints of fresh brewed coffee, two bacon rolls and a 15 mile countryside bike ride in glorious sunshine while listening to the first two Madness albums.

A positive result today will make for a very acceptable start to the weekend.

Looking for away double wins for Gills and CSKA (Local derby at Lokomotiv- Russian Premier resuming today after winter break)

Two wins and great celebration this evening and tonight!

Doom Bar on standby to alleviate thre pain when the final whistle comes.
And to assist in blocking out the phone calls from the Pompey supporting relatives.

Doom Bar, Pride and Pedigree all at the ready. Not sure yet of how many of each I will have (more than likely it will be our performance related) egg chasers to follow (have a feeling Wales will win).
Nah - as an ex egg-chaser, I predict that England will win by 15 points although that said, I predicted the Gills would beat the Wombles and we all know how that ended.......

No beer for me, as nights tonight. But I can be grumpy at work, so that will diminish the pain. Watch out mother fckers!

Brooklyn lager today

Looking forward to this. The one good thing about our inconsistency is that anything can happen today which ads to the anticipation