The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Cody McDonald "for all your 'ending a barren away run' needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Cody McDonald "for all your 'ending a barren away run' needs")

Let's face it, we've had a decent season, but we're not quite good enough - yet. Too many slip-ups at the wrong time. Let's build on this and have a real good go next time.

It's a nice idea but I fear the core of our team will be ripped out so it's going to be hard to build. I can't see Graham, Dempsey, Ogilvie, Bonham or maybe even Oliver being here next season.

If your going to be ultra critical in the first half of the last two seasons we've not got the recruitment right and been good enough defensively. Last season we were defensively solid after Christmas, this season, despite better results we've been defensively suspect all season. In both the last two seasons we've been better after the reshuffling/recruitment of different players in the January transfer window. Next season we need to be better from the off.

Add to that the fact this season we were missing O'Keefe for a large part if the early season. I still feel SE missed a trick in January bringing in an experienced CB to help guide the kids (as well as Tucker and Cundy have done, they've also made mistakes and looked shakey at times) to talk them through games.

All in all I think most of us would have taken where we are now at the start if the season, its just a bit frustrating that we're just a touch away from being good enough to make the playoffs, on the smallest budget in the world. We'd be world champions with just an average budget.

Agree with Jimbo about the squad for next season, we could and probably will lose four or five first team regulars in June so another massive rebuilding job for SE in the summer. If only we could find a little bit extra to bump the budget up a little.

Last edited:
Still gutted today. You can take it when we've desevedly been beaten by a better team - for example, our recent result v Blackpool (albeit had we defended a bit tighter and put our chances away in the first half, that could have been a different outcome - but in the second half, we were outplayed and more importantly came up against a team who managed out a lead, which we didn't do yesterday). However, yesterday, we were in complete control against what looked like a very average team and, in fact, we really should have gone 2 or 3 up before we got our second with a number of great chances. We got our 2-0 lead which was the very least we deserved and you've got to see that out with under 20 minutes to go by whatever means and Steve Evans and his teams know how to use any means to do that whether fair or not and we chronically failed yesterday. The quick Oxford first goal was the killer as it gave them momentum - yes, Oxford got lucky and every thing went there where which culminated in them getting a completely undeserved win and to an extent, when another team gets lucky and everything goes their way, there's only so much you can do, but we managed that poorly and only have ourselves to blame - a result which means our season and outside playoff shout is over. A regrettable and painful end to the season.

Saying that, the playoff shout was always an outside one, mainly because our good form only came in the last couple of months - we were inconsistent before Christmas and gave ourselves too much to do after Christmas (especially with that disatrous run in the New Year of three losses v Plymouth, Northampton and Burton - three awful teams who on the day we should have beaten). We now look to next season and the fact that we have little to play for now gives us an opportunity to tie up contracts and start looking to move on players and improve the squad before others have a chance - especially as a lot of our rivals may be tied up for another month chasing and playing in playoffs. I am not fully sure of whose contracts are up or not, but the first key is we need to get SE and Raynor secured for another season or two. If not already tied down, we need to get the core (or as many as possible) of Bonham, Ogilvie, Tucker (who I am pretty sure is signed up), Dempsey, O'Keefe, Graham and Big V signed up. Get them (or most of them) signed up and we've got the basis of this season's team to take on next season. Scally will always back his manager (whatever SE says), whilst working within a budget, so I am sure SE will have sufficient funds with his contacts and knowledge to bring in some decent permanent signings and more quality loan signings as we near the start of next season.

If we can do that, I think we should be positive and carry on from and aim for the playoffs from the off (I know there are a lot of pessimists, but let's at least start by aiming high!) - if we can do that and have a better first half of the season, there's no reason we can't be in a better position come this stage of the season. The key is to have a better start. It has been a refreshing attitude from SE, as opposed to previous managers, to aim for the top, aim high and expect us to beat better funded teams. Yes, SE has continued to trot out this line about us having the lowest budget in the division, which is questionable, but he has not let that translate in to his on-field ambitions, where he has expressly been focused on the playoffs pretty much all season. I think the manager, chairman and we as fans should aim for and strive for that next season - let's be positive. There's no harm in aiming high!

Evans post-match blaming individual players , not himself of course.
he said the 3 who didnt pick up the goal scorers wouldnt play again - Lee MacDonald and Ogilvie - lets see if he sticks to that , as several times before he's said he'll make changes after a poor game and then changed his mind and kept same team. Tucker and Ogilvie doubling up to mark one striker didnt help for last goal and at other times.
Hopefully SE , and many on here, will finally see the light on Ogilvie's poor defence; how many goals this season have come from the area he should have been in control of?
But the biggest mistake by SE this year has been the lack of recruiting an experienced centre-back, which was clear from day 1; Tucker has suffered a not-unusual 2nd year dip as strikers have sussed him out a bit, and Cundy while ok has been passed around by good teams and is a bit static. its hard to reach play-off level without a strong centre-back pairing
If Evans stays , and (unfortunately in my view) I dont see other clubs offering him a better deal on this season's performance, I dont see many players leaving, as the 2 who look could play at next level, Dempsey and Graham, have dropped off in recent weeks. So he has a big chance to get a play-off level team together if he can attract players to fill the 2/3 gaps. No doubt he has the 'smallest budget in the world' excuse ready if he fails.

Evans post-match blaming individual players , not himself of course.
he said the 3 who didnt pick up the goal scorers wouldnt play again - Lee MacDonald and Ogilvie - lets see if he sticks to that , as several times before he's said he'll make changes after a poor game and then changed his mind and kept same team. Tucker and Ogilvie doubling up to mark one striker didnt help for last goal and at other times.
Hopefully SE , and many on here, will finally see the light on Ogilvie's poor defence; how many goals this season have come from the area he should have been in control of?
But the biggest mistake by SE this year has been the lack of recruiting an experienced centre-back, which was clear from day 1; Tucker has suffered a not-unusual 2nd year dip as strikers have sussed him out a bit, and Cundy while ok has been passed around by good teams and is a bit static. its hard to reach play-off level without a strong centre-back pairing
If Evans stays , and (unfortunately in my view) I dont see other clubs offering him a better deal on this season's performance, I dont see many players leaving, as the 2 who look could play at next level, Dempsey and Graham, have dropped off in recent weeks. So he has a big chance to get a play-off level team together if he can attract players to fill the 2/3 gaps. No doubt he has the 'smallest budget in the world' excuse ready if he fails.
Complete bollux

Complete bollux
No it's not. I don't agree with all of that but Evans singling out players for blame I don't like. You win as a team and you lose as a team. Oliver missed a good chance and should have scored. Was he not doing his job properly? I also agree it was a mistake not getting an experienced CB and that has cost us in the long run though we have been better since Cundy arrived IMO

Let’s be honest in August did any of us think we would have been in a shout for the playoffs?

Yes the season has petered out with a fizzle and like others I am struggling to get over yesterday.

That said look at the money Bristol Rovers have spent and pretty much relegated and look at our neighbours from Essex - it will take a miracle for them to escape

Let’s just appreciate what we have in the current worldwide climate

Let’s be honest in August did any of us think we would have been in a shout for the playoffs?

Yes the season has petered out with a fizzle and like others I am struggling to get over yesterday.

That said look at the money Bristol Rovers have spent and pretty much relegated and look at our neighbours from Essex - it will take a miracle for them to escape

I do agree with the last sentence but at the same time, I think this is the sort of low expectations attitude we need to lose next season. For all of his “we have the lowest budget in the division”, Evans’ general comments suggest that he is aiming high abs expects us to beat all comers in the division. I’d like to see that continue and the players and fans to sing from the same hymn book and strive for the playoffs, even if on paper, it’s a long shot. Let’s aim high for once from the start of the season and we might just get there; if not, aiming high often means, if you don’t make it, you’ll still do better than you may well in your heart expect to do.

I do agree with the last sentence but at the same time, I think this is the sort of low expectations attitude we need to lose next season. For all of his “we have the lowest budget in the division”, Evans’ general comments suggest that he is aiming high abs expects us to beat all comers in the division. I’d like to see that continue and the players and fans to sing from the same hymn book and strive for the playoffs, even if on paper, it’s a long shot. Let’s aim high for once from the start of the season and we might just get there; if not, aiming high often means, if you don’t make it, you’ll still do better than you may well in your heart expect to do.

Totally agree and you never know if PDPS can see the promise he may well back SE to the hilt.

But that will depend on revenue (Priestfield) and season ticket sales - the last one worries me

I tend to agree.
I’m not comfortable with fans playing the blame game with this team.
In the past, we’ve had obvious wage thieves but I think this lot genuinely give everything.
We’ve had nobody on cruise control.
We’ve just fell a bit short but that’s not a crime.

The way some of you talk is why we have the shit show at the top level of the game.

We spend what we can afford, we have a team who give their all, and we've had a good season. If you can't enjoy that then you've got a screw loose.
The way some of you talk is why we have the shit show at the top level of the game.

We spend what we can afford, we have a team who give their all, and we've had a good season. If you can't enjoy that then you've got a screw loose.

I agree to a certain extent and everyone will feel like that on reflection at the end of a season.

But it’s only yesterday we blew a two nil lead and 3 points in a game we were dominating with twenty minutes to go. Those three points would have put us back in the picture but instead our season fininished with a bit of a kick in the teeth. Surely we are allowed a few days to wallow in in it?

It’s what makes football, football after all. It’s real because we care!