The Official John Terry Thread | Page 50 | Vital Football

The Official John Terry Thread

The biggest myth is that he's to blame for our defence, he's assistant manager and not responsible for the tactics which consistently expose us at the back (most of that is Smith) and isn't deployed as a defensive coach (we have, well defensive coaches employed to, well, coach the defenders).

The fact that we're shit is a collective effort across the players, management and coaching. Terry is playing his part in that, but I think it's lazy to consistently bring his name up when talking about the defence.

The biggest myth is that he's to blame for our defence, he's assistant manager and not responsible for the tactics which consistently expose us at the back (most of that is Smith) and isn't deployed as a defensive coach (we have, well defensive coaches employed to, well, coach the defenders).

The fact that we're shit is a collective effort across the players, management and coaching. Terry is playing his part in that, but I think it's lazy to consistently bring his name up when talking about the defence.

It doesn't really matter where a coach has played or what position it's his depth of knowledge and understanding of how to get that across to players .

Much as it pains me, Nuno, at wolves was a goalkeeper and he's mastered the art of getting his ideas across to his players better than most coaches that have hit the PL for the first time . They play his way and he buys players who fit that way basically it's founded on not giving goals away and breaking with a real purpose but fundamentally it's about defending in depth when you don't have the ball

It doesn't really matter where a coach has played or what position it's his depth of knowledge and understanding of how to get that across to players .

Much as it pains me, Nuno, at wolves was a goalkeeper and he's mastered the art of getting his ideas across to his players better than most coaches that have hit the PL for the first time . They play his way and he buys players who fit that way basically it's founded on not giving goals away and breaking with a real purpose but fundamentally it's about defending in depth when you don't have the ball
This is all true. Terry may well be a lousy coach/ assistant manager but I find it curious that a lot of fans that I've seen blame our shite defence on him. We have a manager who is out of his depth and everything we see on the pitch is a derivative of that for the most part.

Nuno is a quality manager and we need to be bringing in a quality manager of our own. Smith has played his part here but has hit some serious limits this season.

Of course Terry is not to blame for our pisspoor defence, but how can he not be complicit in how poor we are at the back?

After all, he's one of the most experienced defenders in English football history, has played dozens of international matches and won pretty much every domestic trophy going in some of the best defences in Premier League history.

It doesn't say much for his coaching prospects going forward if he's not brought any of that influence to bear on Dean Smith or the players in the squad. He's clearly not a yes man, so he's got to take some share of responsibility.

And if DS and ROK are not taking advantage and heed of his input, then that doesn't say much about them either.

Not sure the back line is the problem. Konsa has improved. Hause has also improved, although is still learning. The senior centre backs Mings and Engels are reasonably good; they have made mistakes but are generally OK. The defence comes under too much pressure at times and I think you have to look at the team as a whole.

DS is very much the boss. He may discuss things with JT and ROK but the way the team is set up is down to him.

Not sure the back line is the problem. Konsa has improved. Hause has also improved, although is still learning. The senior centre backs Mings and Engels are reasonably good; they have made mistakes but are generally OK. The defence comes under too much pressure at times and I think you have to look at the team as a whole.

DS is very much the boss. He may discuss things with JT and ROK but the way the team is set up is down to him.
I'm not saying the defence is entirely to blame, the whole team has been found wanting. But having the worst defensive record in the league and shipping (on average) 2 goals per game suggests a pretty porous back line has some part to play.

If JT was manager we would be a side that starts with a solid foundation at the back and build forward. The downside to that is you wouldn’t get Matty Targett bombing into the opposition box, picking up the odd goal, as you get with a Smith side.

When JT played on the pitch, the fullbacks didn’t dare get the wrong wide of the winger, whilst that made us more solid at the back, it stifles you little going forward. I don’t doubt that he works hard on drills and positioning with the players but you can’t polish a turd, and not having sufficient midfield cover in this league as a poor team is pushing water uphill.

I like JT more than I thought, and I didn’t like him before for various reasons. But he’s definitely matured and is reasonably intelligent. The problem that top footballers like Roy Keane, Henry, Giggs, Gerrard etc have with taking to management is they expect world class tomorrow. I think his grounding here will be valuable and reset him from the top player he was.

From what I’ve seen of Terry, he sits watching the games back on his way home from a match on a screen, he lives the game. If Southgate can make it to England, if JT can manage his ego I see no reason why he won’t be a very good manager one day.

Worst defensive record in the league speaks for itself. Agree the blame lies throughout the team but can’t pretend the actual defence is any good

I think we've already replaced him with Shakespeare so won't relly be missed to much should he go. Suspect it is Bull shine though

He will go at some point. It's no secret that he wants to be a manager , so there will be no complaints from me.

I suspect Deano got Shakespeare in because he knew this might happen sooner or later.

Ah, thought this might have bumped up following the Anton Ferdinand documentary last night.

I personally won't care a jot if and when Terry goes.

He will go at some point. It's no secret that he wants to be a manager , so there will be no complaints from me.

I suspect Deano got Shakespeare in because he knew this might happen sooner or later.

Think Shakespeare was also got in because our PL tactics were crap; Shakey's got massive PL coaching experience which none of the existing staff had.

I'll be sorry when JT goes. I think he's done a lot behind the scenes; players like Jack have benefitted from having him around. I also noticed in some matches JT getting in a huddle with the players before kickoff, which may have helped. But only some matches.

Can't see him going to Derby. If the owners are that ambitious, why would they replace one rookie with another? Would he want to pick up a mess?

I like the fact JT gets stuck into the opposition bench when they get a bit lippy. I'd keep him here just for that

Neil Cutler can do that job, he looks handy to me.

Only just noticed he was on our books once, thought I recognised his name.

If, or when Terry leaves, I'd consider offering Martin Keown either a defensive coaching or, defensive consultant position. (I mention the consultant bit because I don't know if he has his coaching badges). I've listened to his analysis' on TV and he does make a lot of sense, probably from his time playing in the heart of the Arsenal defence.