The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

We need players in that are suited to the championship and are ideal to mould into a team to get you out of it.

Not a collective bunch of individuals that Bruce favours and hopes some individual skill will win a game.

That type of attitude and tactics are now these days well gone.

A lot of things have to fall into line for a team to gain promotion/win a league, any standard of league. From the number of bookings received, through injuries suffered, to getting more than your fair share of dodgy refereeing decisions, to consistancy of performance.
These are some of the things a manager/head coach gets the big bucks to handle.

We need players in that are suited to the championship and are ideal to mould into a team to get you out of it.

Not a collective bunch of individuals that Bruce favours and hopes some individual skill will win a game.

That type of attitude and tactics are now these days well gone.
Agree TH, Dean has already said that the players are at the required level and "very coachable". Think there are hidden depths to the squad which he will bring out. Good news O'Hare and Doyle-Hayes might be included.

Just imagine if we had got promoted with Bruce last year. This forum would be in meltdown. Just look at Fulham, Huddersfield and even Newcastle. We need to prepare the team, have a pattern/style and a serious upgrade in our skill levels.

Barry Bannan back to Villa Park for £8m in January (Mirror)

Ryan Woods is only on loan at Stoke, though I guess they have a first option to buy in January. Prefer a 23 year old Woods than a 28 year old Bannan. Contradicting my previous post regarding Cahill, but I wouldnt particularly want to see Bannan back here, seem to remember a few off the field issues with him.

I don’t want to fall for the someone playing one good game against us so-we-buy-them-syndrome again, (Lansbury, Hogan) but if DS wants a deep lieing midfielder to pick the ball up from the defence start the play and get in the triangles, he is the ideal player.

Why? Championship level at best.

I see the owners being more ambitious personally. Didn't the mirror promote Henri?

I'm sure it's bollocks but isn't this thread for rumours too?

It is an interesting thought as he has made a footballer out of himself at Wednesday and would fit in with what Smith wants to do. But I do agree, the owners are probably more ambitious than bringing back old faces.

Not that I would turn Cahill down in January, that would be a top signing.

If we start pissing around signing midfielders or attackers then god help us. We clearly need a centre back, maybe 2, and probably a left back. It’s about time we started using what we have rather than constantly chasing our tails by signing an endless stream of replacements
:stupid:
I think Smith will take a good look at all our players, to get an idea of what he can do with them. Only then will he start thinking about what players he really needs to strengthen the side.

Defence is thin, but not so desperate as it was under Bruce. With JT around it's looking as though it knows what it's doing. It does need strengthening at some point though. I like the way Axel is beginning to look the part; confidence is all there.

I think Smith will take a good look at all our players, to get an idea of what he can do with them. Only then will he start thinking about what players he really needs to strengthen the side.

It'll be interesting to see what he gets out of them and who he decides is useful.

The biggest thing I've looked at recently is that we have a bunch of players who have never played in a possession based side or are used to being in teams that dominate. For some players like Jack, Tuanzebe and El Ghazi I think its fairly natural but the likes of Glen Whelan or El Mo/Hutton etc. don't really fit. Bruce brought in a load of lads who were used to being put under pressure and up against the odds.

Wolves didn't just buy good players last year they got players who were used to playing a certain way for clubs / teams that won regularly. I can't help but think its why things didnt work for Bruce, at Hull & Birmingham teams probably never saw them like they see us.

I just can't see any truth in the Bannan rumours at all plus it's reported that 2 months ago he signed a new 3 year deal with Sheffield Wednesday.

Throw in it's from the Daily Mirror then it's a no from me.

For the moment thought it was Gabby coming back...phew!

Always thought he had something, glad he's become a success, but think we've moved on.

I'm with Mike on this one, BB is one of those players we should never have let go.
I could never understand the slatings he used to get either, especially as he was, to my mind, played slightly out of position for us, meaning we never got the best out of him.
Mind you, like everyone else, I could probably name a dozen other players we should never have let go.

No we was right to get rid all the bloke used to do was hit Hollywood ball's and they very rarely got to there target. He was week on the ball and easily dispossessed and 5 ft nothing so was no good in the air. He may be playing well for sheff wed but if i was manager and had 8 mil to spend on a midfielder i think i would look elsewhere.

Jesus, no thanks.

If we do, then there will be a lot of unhappy fans coz it means one player is being sold for x and Bannan is the replacement fir half or less than half of x.