The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

You may be correct 58, but we just don't know as he has never been given a run of games. I'm sure RHM would be equal to Callum Robinson and in the right team (say Brentford) he might thrive. May also have to reinvent himself as he is not big enough to go toe to toe.

At the end of the day our U23's are in PL2, so not the best around, but our much vaunted academy doesn't have a route to the first team currently. Would love to see if any of them could make the transition.

The priority as i assume we are not exactly flush re ffp, is a left full back and centre half. Pay for this by shifting out what we can. See who can play and buy into the " Smith " way till the end of this season and then re assess.

JT - go and have a word with Cahill, just write off the deadwood still sucking us dry

What on earth makes you think Cahill would come back to us on less than half of his current wage, when he'll probably get offers from clubs at the top end of the premiership, or top european leagues?

The priority as i assume we are not exactly flush re ffp, is a left full back and centre half. Pay for this by shifting out what we can. See who can play and buy into the " Smith " way till the end of this season and then re assess.

We could do with a couple of centrebacks but, getting one in January is a must.
Whoever we end up going for is going to be expensive, simply because we will have to pay a premium, as clubs know we are very light in this area.
Agree about the leftback too, only who.
The leftbacks that are available that could improve us, are either very expensive or, not very experienced but show potential, like young Earl of Preston.

What on earth makes you think Cahill would come back to us on less than half of his current wage, when he'll probably get offers from clubs at the top end of the premiership, or top european leagues?
Like I said - JT have a word, somehow he was convinced ... money? get rid of the sucking ones, right them off as part of the long term plan to get to the PL. Tell him about a teenager at Borussia Dortmund, tell him about Gareth Southgate, remind him of his heritage, show him a clip of a certain goal, show him the fact that more people attended Villa v Swansea than did Chelsea v Man Utd. Pay him what he wants - peanuts compared to another season or more in the doldrums. Make him wanted as opposed to being second fiddle .... I could go on and on BUT we are talking here about the pulling power of JT for example

Like I said - JT have a word, somehow he was convinced ... money? get rid of the sucking ones, right them off as part of the long term plan to get to the PL. Tell him about a teenager at Borussia Dortmund, tell him about Gareth Southgate, remind him of his heritage, show him a clip of a certain goal, show him the fact that more people attended Villa v Swansea than did Chelsea v Man Utd. Pay him what he wants - peanuts compared to another season or more in the doldrums. Make him wanted as opposed to being second fiddle .... I could go on and on BUT we are talking here about the pulling power of JT for example

Cahill earns more than twice what our hightest paid player gets and at 32 he has maybe 3 years left earning enough to support his family for the rest of his life and you expect him to give it up for a lower middle championship club on less than half his current wage, man you are dreaming.
You say just pay him but, his wage would pay for a minimum of three other players on high wages and could pay for five or six players on championship average wages.
You have to accept that we are not a premiership big-shot anymore but, a mid-table championship club, who are trying to rebuild.

Don't think it's yet clear what the top priority is in January. We have to find a way of getting balls into the back of the net. In the Championship you have to score, a lot, to get anywhere. Can Deano get our current lot scoring? The two areas which need improving are obviously defence and attack, but less clear about precisely what we need.

He will improve the current players and bring through some of the U23s through via good coaching. Don't want a new set of problems by bringing 6 in.

Would prefer 2 in and 6 out if that's possible, just don't think there are many takers for some.

Don't think it's yet clear what the top priority is in January. We have to find a way of getting balls into the back of the net. In the Championship you have to score, a lot, to get anywhere. Can Deano get our current lot scoring? The two areas which need improving are obviously defence and attack, but less clear about precisely what we need.
Well considering we have only failed to score in 1 game so far this season I find it hard to agree that we have huge problems in attack and considering we have only kept 2 clean sheets I think it’s bleeding obvious what our top priority is

We obviously need a leftback and at least one centreback, preferably a leftsided one.
On top of that, getting the midfield to create chances our forward/forwards stand a better than even chance of converting.
I have begun to think, (yes I know it's 60+ years too late), that if we had Jimmy Krankie as our forward, we'd still be throwing high balls into the box.

We obviously need a leftback and at least one centreback, preferably a leftsided one.
On top of that, getting the midfield to create chances our forward/forwards stand a better than even chance of converting.
I have begun to think, (yes I know it's 60+ years too late), that if we had Jimmy Krankie as our forward, we'd still be throwing high balls into the box.

Think if we had Messi up front we'd still have problems. Until Deano sorts things out.

Wee Jimmy, aye

We need players in that are suited to the championship and are ideal to mould into a team to get you out of it.

Not a collective bunch of individuals that Bruce favours and hopes some individual skill will win a game.

That type of attitude and tactics are now these days well gone.