The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

Jordon Lyden is due back from his loan spell in January, I wonder how he will do under the new coaching set-up.

A lot of people misjudge whether a cross is good or bad by if a goal or goal chance is created.
A good cross is one that is put into a position where it can be attacked.
Many good crosses are unrecognised as such because of the failure of a forward to read it and attack it.
There are of course different ways to cross a ball that require different placements to create the best chances.
Corners and or freekicks from out wide for example, normally have most success from being aimed at the corners of the six and eighteen yard boxes, the points where the D meets the eighteen yard line and the penalty spot.
Crosses best described as taken 'on the run', are normally most successful when driven across seven or eight yards from the goal-line. The area of uncertainty for goalkeepers. Also the cross towards the far corner of the six-yard box. Otherwise balls pulled back from close to the bye-line towards the penalty spot, or the points where the 'D' meets the eighteen yard line.
Whether any of these crosses are good, 'successful', depends on if the ball delivered is attacked.

Agree and a bad cross is a non cross when the crosser turns and decides he’s playing for the opposition.
This drove Andy Gray mental , all prepared for a run and having to stop and retreat.

Agree and a bad cross is a non cross when the crosser turns and decides he’s playing for the opposition.
This drove Andy Gray mental , all prepared for a run and having to stop and retreat.

Didn't do Peter Withe's, Dion Dublin's or John Carew's mental health much good either mate.

Just been informed John Souttar is out of action for the next 5 or 6 months due to an injury picked up on international duty.
Souttar is a right-sided centreback who plays for Heart of Midlothian, he likes to play football out of defence rather than giving it some wellie. Just the type our new head coach likes.
Along with Scott McKenna from Aberdeen, a left-sided centreback, they have played in a three man defence although a four man backline is their clubs normal set-up.
Guess we'll be looking elsewhere for central defensive reinforcements.

Mitch Clark is proving that a loan spell, and regular football, is just what was needed. He was not "experienced enough" for the likes of SB, but may force his way into DS's thinking and get a recall in Jan. No way would we sell him though - just utter guff.

Certainly wouldn't want to buy anybody else without giving him a chance. Difficult call. There are arguments in favour of him getting a full season at Port Vale playing every match if possible, before bringing him back. May depend on how far Smith wants to thin the squad in January; if he doesn't, then maybe Clark is better off at Port Vale.

I don't know how reliable the source is but it's being reported that Dean Smith is looking to sign.......... wait for it............ a RB!!!!

Saidy Jenko, currently on loan at Nottingham Forest from Oporto.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...am-forest-player-and-ready-to-agree-deal-now/

If report true, Mr Smith must be looking to off-load three of our four rightbacks.
Reports also say we are looking at Kidderminster midfielder Williams and revisiting Aberdeen to see if we can deal for Scott McKenna, as well as wanting to deal for Sheff Weds Penney.
So it looks like Mr Smith is looking to sort out our travesty of a defence first.

I think we can expect a lot of activity in the January and Summer transfer windows.
We have five loans ending in the summer, Moreira, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Abraham.
We have ten first team squad players out of contract in the summer, Bunn Steer, Richards, Elphick, DeLaet, Hutton, Lyden, Green, Jedinak and Whelan.
We also have eleven first team squad players entering the final year of their contracts in the summer, Chester, Elmohamady, Hourihane, Gardner, Tshibola, Bjarnason, Adomah, Kodjia, McCormack, Davis and Hepburn-Murphy.

I think we can expect a lot of activity in the January and Summer transfer windows.
We have five loans ending in the summer, Moreira, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Abraham.
We have ten first team squad players out of contract in the summer, Bunn Steer, Richards, Elphick, DeLaet, Hutton, Lyden, Green, Jedinak and Whelan.
We also have eleven first team squad players entering the final year of their contracts in the summer, Chester, Elmohamady, Hourihane, Gardner, Tshibola, Bjarnason, Adomah, Kodjia, McCormack, Davis and Hepburn-Murphy.

And out of those who would you keep

And out of those who would you keep

Loans: Tuanzebe Abraham

Out of contract: Assess Steer and Green in the summer. Hutton just maybe if we want backup.

Final year: Chester Bjarnason, maybe Kodjia Davis just possible Hourihane Adomah

January transfer window should be interesting. By December Dean should know what players definitely won't fit in his plans and they may get shifted out, but don't expect many. Don't expect many in either.

Really want the old guard to disappear by the summer, can make a case for individuals but I really want to see this "new direction" the hierarchy keep talking about. Surround 3-4 key quality players with the youngsters, blood them in this division and see if they are up to the task. If they aren't quite at the races, flog them and get some return on the investments. Tired of seeing our youngsters playing for other teams and we let them go for free.

For me every player in this squad over 25yrs old should be for sale if the price is right, get a squad of 23-24 players that includes the likes of O'Hare, Hayes, RHM, Lyden etc. Currently we are too old, too stuck in the past and too full of entitlement. We need to scour the globe for the best young talent, nurture them and give them opportunities.

Really want the old guard to disappear by the summer, can make a case for individuals but I really want to see this "new direction" the hierarchy keep talking about. Surround 3-4 key quality players with the youngsters, blood them in this division and see if they are up to the task. If they aren't quite at the races, flog them and get some return on the investments. Tired of seeing our youngsters playing for other teams and we let them go for free.

For me every player in this squad over 25yrs old should be for sale if the price is right, get a squad of 23-24 players that includes the likes of O'Hare, Hayes, RHM, Lyden etc. Currently we are too old, too stuck in the past and too full of entitlement. We need to scour the globe for the best young talent, nurture them and give them opportunities.

"Merd" mate can you please explain to me what it is that you see in RHM that I don't.
The times I've seen him, he has a bit of pace but not much else.
Add to that that he does seem to be extremely injury prone and he is one I would sell.
I have much more faith in McKirdy and Knibbs making it as strikers.