The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

I'm not actually sure what is more ridiculous.

The fact we have been linked with Cahill, or the fact that there's someone who actually thinks he wouldn't be a good signing for a club 12th in the Championship.

I did not say he would not be a `good` signing. I am saying he is not the `right` signing. He is currently on £130,000 per week !!! 32yrs old and has not played since may. DS is trying to build a side to either handle promotion or grow in another season in the championship. To attempt to tackle FFP taking on a wage of that level is suicide .......

McKenna is going to cost around £10m and there are bound to be some premiership clubs, apart from Wolves, interested.
The premiership clubs will, for the most part, be stock-piling talent, especially the big money clubs.
That would be one of our biggest advantages, we are looking for a player to play now, not spend season after season out on loan. The other advantage is, the chance to be coached by one of the most successful centrebacks ever, in John Terry.
Of course for that £10m we could get Yohan Barbet from Brentford, Harold Moukoudi from Le Havre and Nick Powell from Wigan.

Agree entirely that we should not be looking to take Ben Woodburn on loan in January.
He may show promise in Liverpool reserves but, he has failed miserably in the championship. Maybe he should have gone down an extra tier.

Seemed at the time that the main reason Liverpool wanted him at Sheffield utd instead of us was that they didn't think he'd get a game ahead of grealish, nothings changed on that front.

As I see it, there are three things that can happen in January for Mitch Clark.

1). He could stay at Port Vale and build on the excellent start he has made.
2). He could be recalled and sent out on loan, to a club in a higher division, to see how he handles that.
3). He could be recalled and put in our first team squad.

Probably best for the young man, would be one of the first two options.
Best for our club, could be option two.
If option two was the one taken, we could offer Port Vale another player for a half season loan, Revan would be a good idea.

Things might change in January, if Eriksen doesn't sign that new contract at Tottenham.
They could come back in for Grealish, if they are ready to trigger his buy-out clause, assuming there's one in his new contract.

Le Havre centreback Harald Moukoudi, is wanted by several Ligue 1 clubs and having refused to join us in the summer, may prefer to stay in France.
If thats the case, we could go for his team-mate Deny's Bain instead.
Bain is 25 and has the advantage over Moukoudi by being able to play as a defensive midfielder as well as a centreback, who because he is two footed, is equally at home playing right or left side of central defence.
Arsene Wenger, in his last couple of months at Arsenal, was having him scouted.
Bain is also out of contract in the coming summer.
Another young centreback to keep an eye on is Hamburger S.V.'s David Bates, who's just turned 22 and stands 1.93. Hamburger S.V. have seven centrebacks in their first team squad at present, so getting him shouldn't prove too difficult although he is first choice at the moment.

Last edited:
Nah not for me. He's 37. I know JT was 37 but it's one thing being 37 as a CB and using your vast experience to read the game and marshall a defence.

Expecting Cole at 37 to bomb up and down the wing.... can't see it working. West Ham tried it with Evra and soon saw he was past it.

Nah not for me. He's 37. I know JT was 37 but it's one thing being 37 as a CB and using your vast experience to read the game and marshall a defence.

Expecting Cole at 37 to bomb up and down the wing.... can't see it working. West Ham tried it with Evra and soon saw he was past it.

Ashley Cole or recall Mitch Clark? I know what I think has more potential.

Yep agreed, if he can't hack it in the MLS anymore, it's probably time to call it a day. Just posted it to spark a bit of discussion.

Keeper loan muted, never heard of him, that's not a slight on him though, it's me having no memory and next to no interest (when we aren't in it) with the Premiership

Thoughts? (about the link, not me!!!!!!!!!!!!)

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...nal-potential-loan-move-mooted-by-journalist/

Tom Heaton was in the England squad before he got injured last season. Went to the Euros in 2016 I think. Very decent keeper, although if he can't get in ahead of Joe Hart, he'd probably not fully recovered from his injury yet :lol:

That's what I was wondering, Joe Hart was a great keeper but he seems to have fallen from grace so much if he has replaced TH then...?

meh, whatever, the loan system and modern £ootball is a joke really!

I'd take either Heaton or Pope from Burnley. They cant use all 3 of them on match day. Only stumbling block is I am sure there will be a big queue of clubs after them if they are available.