The Official England Euro Thread (sponsored by Complaining "England's national past-time") | Vital Football

The Official England Euro Thread (sponsored by Complaining "England's national past-time")

First 20 mins were good. The remainder was a bit slow but decent enough.

We were very comfortable really, Croatia didn't look like scoring to me.

Kalvin Phillips, MOTM by a million miles!
Agreed Mozzer, I would imagine Leeds are already expecting calls from agents for the top 6. TBH, I found most of the match very, very, exceedingly even boring. I am fairly sure that even if I were constipated, my jobbie would be delivered quicker than a telling pass was today by the defence or midfield. Made me think of Manure during the Louis van Gaal epoch.

Mason Mount is going to be huge for us in the future if he stays fit..... already one of the most competent and refined players on the pitch at 22 years of age. I wasn't convinced with Walker either today and hope that Reece James will come in for the next game.

No way are we going to win it.... I just hope we go out having shown more desire and adventure than against Croatia. I realise it was just the first game but the omens were not good.

Last edited:
I thought we played quite well. Croatia are a good and experienced team but we kept them out well. I can't remember them having any decent chances.

We had a few. And at times we played with some real intensity. There was no way that intensity could be sustained for too long, remember how hot it was out there!

I thought we played quite well. Croatia are a good and experienced team but we kept them out well. I can't remember them having any decent chances.

We had a few. And at times we played with some real intensity. There was no way that intensity could be sustained for too long, remember how hot it was out there!
Yes I think the boiling conditions won overall. We started pressing well for 20 mins, but in that heat it was impossible to carry on like that for the whole game. Could easily have petered out to a 0-0, but one good bit of play for the goal was enough, a sharper Kane may have grabbed a second when he collided with the post.
Looks like cooler conditions and rain at the end of the week for the Scotland match, can see that being a more entertaining game to watch.

Just discovered that Jack Grealish scored his first career goal against...yep, us.

Cheers Herr.

That was quite a goal! I counted four Gills defenders that he took it past. An early indication of the player he was to become.

Mind you, I reckon there were a fair few Gills supporters screaming at our defence for letting a lanky teenager skip past them that easily!

It is just before Scotland v England in the Euro’s Group game. Kane goes into the English changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum. "What's up?" he asks. "Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're rubbish and we can't be bothered". Kane looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub." So Kane goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the English team go off for a few pints. After a few jars they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "England 1 - Scotland 0 (Kane 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself! Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on. "Result from the Stadium "England 1 (Kane 10 minutes) - Scotland 1"(Mcginn 89 minutes)". They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down." "Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland , all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end" "No, No, I have, I've let you down... I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Don't you just love a big summer tournament! Decent performance against Croatia and we have a team of potential superstars and could go deep into the competition. Lacklustre game against Scotland and it's all hopeless. It is always like this and adds to the entertainment - as 58 said once England get knocked out we can sit back and enjoy the tournament.

If a 'Best Euro Squad' was selected from all the teams taking part which England players would make it? Before we started - Kane for sure and in with a shout (from a European perspective) - Tripper, Sancho and perhaps a few from the Champions League final. Now we are two games in I don't think a single player would make the cut.

Anyway I think England will be on fire on Tuesday - big win.