The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 542 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith did manage to stop Jack chasing the ball around the pitch, and Jack became more effective.

Jack went through a spell where he seemed a bit lost in terms of position, I remember him thinking he was a number 8 - and whilst he did well in the championship he was always far more effective as a winger. I remember quite a few on here (including myself) getting frustrated with jack chasing the ball around all corners of the pitch ending up left back far too often, you need to trust other players and make them accountable for doing their job so that you can do yours.

tbf he was very lucky we signed Jack just before he arrived -
he'd have never got the job if we'd been promoted - if only the fella before had had him

Hopefully the new bloke doesn't fall into the same trap with the Norfolk Messi

If the guy before Smith hadn't bottled the play off final then we'd almost certainly have been stuck with dr Tony for a while longer, who knows what chaos would have ensued then. Immediate relegation, probably, followed by god knows what kind of financial difficulties.

If he gets the Norwich job it'll be interesting to see what backroom team he hires. I can't see any of the Villa lot going with him, except for Cutler.

You know folks, I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Dean at Villa Park - and I don't mean as a visiting manager

Had this thought myself but I do think its unlikely unless he can really do something special in his next job.

If Dean does come back the club will have failed in its mission as I think the most likely scenario for a Deano return is the club in turmoil and in need of reminding what the club stands for. Which would mean there have been massive failures on and off the pitch and pride needing to be restored but you never know.

I can't see it, plus you know what they say. Never go back to your old job.

At the most, he could come back as a caretaker at some point if we are ever in massive massive trouble to steady the ship, but I think that this would only ever be as he approaches the twilight of his career, I don't think it'll ever be during this phase.

Never say never though.

You know folks, I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of Dean at Villa Park - and I don't mean as a visiting manager

Yes, must admit crossed my mind aswell. He will feel that there is unfinished business. Who's to say he can't go away get more experience, do well eleswhere and learn from his mistakes. He is young enough and because he left without the toxic atmosphere we have seen time and again I can't see much opposition.

Yes, must admit crossed my mind aswell. He will feel that there is unfinished business. Who's to say he can't go away get more experience, do well eleswhere and learn from his mistakes. He is young enough and because he left without the toxic atmosphere we have seen time and again I can't see much opposition.
Nope, don’t see it, we will be like most other teams and lurch from one manager to the next. Very few managers last these days, so you have to be at the top of your game, successful and lucky with the squad you inherit. I don’t see Dean Smith getting a crack at another team in the top half of the PL now - and I like the bloke.

One thing I will say about the end of Deano's tenure is that it was going the way of other Villa managers that we've had in the last few years i.e. Lambert, McLeish, Sherwood etc, even in the great escape season, we were playing soem ok stuff and were probably unlucky to be in the position we were by the end.

Things like

* The reversal at Wolves
* Defensive mess ups
* Poor opposition players looking like world class ones against us
* Getting tonked week in week out

Were all hallmarks of the bad regimes that we've had at the club.
Previously we had beaten man u.
Wolves was the sliding door moment.
Ings/watkins issue caused other problems.
We do seem to have this 3 year cycle with our managers.....sir Ron, sir brian, ok mon 4 seasons, now smith etc.
Maybe nearly all appointments end this way.

Fergie had cycles, but he knew how to manage them. When to bench certain players when to sell them, when to get in new blood, when to build towards the next peak. He always had a core of players he knew he could rely on, and brought in others when the moment was right. Who would believe he brought in Larsson on loan for just part of a season, but it worked brilliantly.

Previously we had beaten man u.
Wolves was the sliding door moment.
Ings/watkins issue caused other problems.
We do seem to have this 3 year cycle with our managers.....sir Ron, sir brian, ok mon 4 seasons, now smith etc.
Maybe nearly all appointments end this way.
Lambert 3 seasons ...

With Dean I never knew how far he would take us. Not a lot of experience, but he wasn't your average journeyman type manager, thought a lot about the game and did a lot for the club. It's possible argue that we shouldn't have been in so much trouble in our great escape season, but when the chips were down he found a way out of it. When YKW left team management became more important; he couldn't rely on just flair. And that was the critical issue. After the MU game I thought we were in for another good season, even though I didn't like the team setup. Wrong.

I'm Not being personall, but DS time at Villa Park is over. If you have a wish for him to return you must believe In the tooth fairy.The blokes gone accept It. That's the problem with us Villa supporters We're to sentimental. Let's give this bin dipper A chance

It's a personality cult at this point mate. Wherever "Deano" goes next he will be exposed for the manager that he is. He had it so good at Villa with the financial backing he received and was still taking us down. I hope for his sake he takes the Norwich job as it's the best he will get, a nice Championship club with no expectations in a good part of the country. Seems like a nice bloke so I hope he takes that job.

Imagine the meltdown if Dean gets the Norwich job and we all know the only two games he'll win all season don't we :yes:

Norwich are that bad that I think we might be able to avoid that curse. I mean they're worse than the last time they were up and that side let Wesley score twice against them..

Status
Not open for further replies.