The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 431 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually given the baseless spec about wanting a more European coach now to help shake up ideas, a Melly or Laursen fits the bill perfectly. Especially as they already get the club.

Love the guy but have major concerns this season with no Jack, obviously everybody knows the stats ( less than a point a game without him under Smith ).

I am pinning my hopes on that performance last season at Everton, that he can find another way of effectively getting the team to perform.

Love his honesty when we play gash like last week, but just telling us what we already know doesn`t really help - the team really should be prepared better and start with desire / passion.

Love the guy but have major concerns this season with no Jack, obviously everybody knows the stats ( less than a point a game without him under Smith ).

I am pinning my hopes on that performance last season at Everton, that he can find another way of effectively getting the team to perform.

Love his honesty when we play gash like last week, but just telling us what we already know doesn`t really help - the team really should be prepared better and start with desire / passion.
Bloody hell you're still alive!

That is what you get when you have a manager who relied on one person mainly to get the team playing well and to bail him out when in trouble. The emphasis was never to get the team playing in a way which would not affect us in Jack's absence and that will now make the transition immensely challenging. I knew we would be in deep shite if Jack left or was injured long term, and it seems so from the first game of a new season with a defeat to a promoted side. However, it is a long season and he has made a mountain to climb for himself now.

I think you can forgive him for that, I think it is wasted effort to focus on playing without a star player.

That is what you get when you have a manager who relied on one person mainly to get the team playing well and to bail him out when in trouble. The emphasis was never to get the team playing in a way which would not affect us in Jack's absence and that will now make the transition immensely challenging. I knew we would be in deep shite if Jack left or was injured long term, and it seems so from the first game of a new season with a defeat to a promoted side. However, it is a long season and he has made a mountain to climb for himself now.

The past is the past. We are now in the position where J*!^ is past, and we have no choice but to play without him, which as regards developing the team may not be a bad thing. But the defeat to Watford was nothing to do with that.

Smith has done well but the stakes are getting bigger & but the football wasn’t great today , the squad should know how to play a style of football. We do not really have a style of football. We need to push on but I feel we lack something or some identity in our play. Cannot see us bettering our position from last season unless a decent coach comes in .

Smith has done well but the stakes are getting bigger & but the football wasn’t great today , the squad should know how to play a style of football. We do not really have a style of football. We need to push on but I feel we lack something or some identity in our play. Cannot see us bettering our position from last season unless a decent coach comes in .
The squad does. That has been the aim and we're getting there. That's why with a load of players out we could put in a decent shift in today, not run around like a bunch of strangers as we would have done a year ago. That's why against Barrow we could put out a squad almost totally changed from usual and yet swamped Barrow with the greatest of ease.
Smith's style is fluid; he wants players to move around and they do. Less easy to pin down than say a Bruce style. But it's there.

Absolutely staggered in all honesty that members such as Silhill and Eltoro 3 games into the season have called for Smith out. Hardly a disastrous start. And that given the fact that the pre season was a cluster due to you know who leaving, covid cancellations and injuries. Players who have been key in the rebuild have come in late, have been injured . Players back from international duty late. And now we have covid in the camp, more key injuries and having to go into a premier league game with a scratch side that wasn’t part of the plan the night before the game.

Clearly in some people’s eyes they just don’t want him and were just waiting for any sort of blip. Pretty predictable really.

3 games?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.