The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 419 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Brighton fans think about Potter like we seem to think about Dean because Brighton havent even won a game without Dunk. I think they've only managed one win without Maupay as well or 5 goals or something like that.

Any team would be weaker when they're missing a player that is head and shoulders above anyone else in the side.

While I do think we could have played better without Grealish I also don't expect Dean and Co. to waste valuation preparation time learning to play without Grealish while he is fit. A wasteful and fruitless exercise IMO.

Yes, like Chris Wilder a few have gone quiet about Potter now after frothing at the mouth jealously last season ( as they were about Maupay). Both doing a better job than Smith last season. Technically they did but did it signify an overall superiority?. Nope. Similar to what the view is around Bielsa now. And to balance ,let’s see where Deano is compared to Potter and Bielsa next season before frothing at the mouth about any superiority.

Yes, like Chris Wilder a few have gone quiet about Potter now after frothing at the mouth jealously last season ( as they were about Maupay). Both doing a better job than Smith last season. Technically they did but did it signify an overall superiority?. Nope. Similar to what the view is around Bielsa now. And to balance ,let’s see where Deano is compared to Potter and Bielsa next season before frothing at the mouth about any superiority.

I'm with you there mate, Bielsabub will have fallen off his bucket next season.
Nobody plays like them absolutely nobody. Is he right and all the other managers in the world wrong? I very much doubt it.
He doesn't seem to be arsed to learn English which suggests to me he'll be off back to a Spanish speaking country soon. Leaving behind a team of Olympic marathon runners with very little quality.
For us to kick on we need 4 top quality players and we have the finances to buy them .
Leeds need the same but don't have the finances and quality players don't run their balls off as a prerequisite, I'm sorry but they don't.

Nobody plays like them absolutely nobody. Is he right and all the other managers in the world wrong? I very much doubt it.
He doesn't seem to be arsed to learn English which suggests to me he'll be off back to a Spanish speaking country soon. Leaving behind a team of Olympic marathon runners with very little quality.
For us to kick on we need 4 top quality players and we have the finances to buy them .
Leeds need the same but don't have the finances and quality players don't run their balls off as a prerequisite, I'm sorry but they don't.
Think we are quick to underestimate his achievements. Leeds are a high tempo side, he has multiple players able to play in various positions (without significantly affecting them). If he was able to get even better quality players, they'd have to run around less. If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be very worried that someone might come in a nick him - Leeds wouldn't be a PL club without him.

PS I quite like Graham Potter as well - think he's done a decent job.

He has developed an effective fast paced attacking style of play there which is their identity. If their players lack quality and still are above us that goes to show what an excellent job he has done with what he has got. And if you think we have better quality players then Dean should have outdone him. I know mostly everyone here hates him, but as a neutral given a choice between watching them and us I’d rather watch them.

Think we are quick to underestimate his achievements. Leeds are a high tempo side, he has multiple players able to play in various positions (without significantly affecting them). If he was able to get even better quality players, they'd have to run around less. If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be very worried that someone might come in a nick him - Leeds wouldn't be a PL club without him.

PS I quite like Graham Potter as well - think he's done a decent job.

I like any manager who gets their team playing attacking football. After Villa I think I have watched Leeds and Brighton play the most. If Potter gets to spend big money and buy a top striker I am sure they’d be much higher in the league.

Though I don't like the club, fans or players Bielsa himself has done an incredible job at Leeds. The squad he's got is full of mostly average championship players that have bought into his way of doing things completely. This simply wouldn't happen if he went into Man City, Chelsea, Barcelona, Juventus where the players are big stars with big egos.

If I were a Leeds fan I'd be loving life but worried that who could follow him? It all falls apart the second he leaves and I suspect players like Bamford, Alyling and Phillips would revert back to what they were before he arrived. Average championship players.

lol, short and concise. Would you like to expand at all ...
I’m not necessarily for or against, but think it’s an interesting proposition
1. He had the "perfect storm" of factors at Wolves. Owners who were willing to spend, an "arrangement/relationship" with an agent who got top (Portuguese) international players in through the back door, and an unexpectant fan base. Without these factors, I have my doubts that he'd have achieved what he has.
2. His sideline behavior is embarrassing at times.
3. I don't see him as a better coach than Dean Smith.

Anyone fancy replacing dean with Nuno Espírito Santo?

No thanks. He had a massive advantage in the championship with Mendes providing players that would never normally join a championship club for low wages. Good first Premier league season but they've only got got worse as times gone on and I bet he was fuming when instead of signing him a proper striker to compete with Jimenez Mendes gave himself a payday by having the club pay 40m for a 17 year old who had barely played for Porto. He'll be off to spurs, decent manager but not one for us.

Got to agree that Nuno won't significantly improve us. His knowledge of players appear to be Portuguese based. That alone would take us on a different track. As for taking on the Spurs job, Kane leaving, Ali not performing and probably others discontent - possibly a poison chalice for anyone.

Think he'll be yesterday's man fairly soon and as someone said, back in Portugal.

On the plus side, he doesn't have his mouth wide open whilst chewing gum, on the negative side, his beard looks very itchy

So in summary, after my expert analysis.... no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.