The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 414 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure he knows that himself.

He's not going to be sacked for the foreseeable future, but the pressure is on next season, especially if we invest again.

We can't be throwing away games like today.
I'm sure he knows that himself.

He's not going to be sacked for the foreseeable future, but the pressure is on next season, especially if we invest again.

We can't be throwing away games like today.

Yup as soon as we stop improving then I am sure he will be moved on.

Decent record for a so called poor manager though. Also he has never been sacked which is no mean feat either.

I suspect the board will be, if they were sensible, start to contingency plan in the summer for the scenarios where the manager leaves or is forced to leave following a bad start. They surely do this routinely anyway it’s just business.

I worry with a bad start to the season, I don’t think we’re mentally strong enough to win games ugly or hold onto games when it matters. I know I’ll get pointed to the end of the 19/20 season but that was a miracle where exceptional circumstances disrupted the form book and allowed clubs to get advantages in terms of fitness and mentality.

Big season for Smith in 21/22, he can’t hide behind jack being injured for a large chunk of the season that won’t wash.

No way we are replacing 12 players in one window mate 4 max

We don’t need to replace 12 players

Kalinic —-No replacement
Heaton —Replacement—-Out of Contract
Guilbert —Kessler
ELM———Replacement —-Out of Contract
Taylor—-—Replacement——Out of Contract
Engels——Replacement
Hourihane—Sanson ————Out of Contract
Barkley——Replacement
El Ghazi——Replacement
Traore———Replacement
Davis———-Young
Wesley ——-Replacement
Vassilev——-Barry

I doubt Traore will be leaving so that’s 7.
We don’t miss 4 of those players already because they aren’t at the club and 4 of the others without contracts we need replacements, an obviously Barkley needs replacing.

If we bring in just 4 players I take it we keep Engels, El Ghazi, Wesley, Guilbert and perhaps sign Barkley Permanently ? If not we’re either going to be very thin or that 4 Max you say is definitely going up.

Last edited:
Yeah, his career has been on an upward trajectory and right now he's at his highest, even that was supposed to be last season.

Yeah, any manager should capable of an upward trajectory given the tools for the job.

A manager in the National League gets his club promoted to the Football League, does a decent job and gets the club promoted to the First Division. That, in 99% of the times will be it. He's got to his tipping point and is shown the door.

The same should be happening at B6 as far as I'm concerned. It'll bloody criminal if this is allowed to continue.

In fairness, no manager leaves Villa for better things, except GT but I bet he wished he hadn't bothered the vile stick he got from the Sun

Yes, on reflection the Villa job has been a graveyard for the vast majority of managers installed as it became apparent that the job and club was far too big for them.

Everything is now in place at Villa Park for a successful manager from the facilities at Bodymoor Heath, great and wealthy owners to a massive fan base just wishing and hoping for someone to become a legend.

Coming from a Villa family background, everything is set up for Dean Smith to become that legend because he knows first hand the expectations of Villa fans and that's why we are all so desperate for him to succeed.

I've said it now several times, - it's over to you Deano. Don't blow it man because it will be the biggest regret you will ever have in football.

Yeah, any manager should capable of an upward trajectory given the tools for the job.

A manager in the National League gets his club promoted to the Football League, does a decent job and gets the club promoted to the First Division. That, in 99% of the times will be it. He's got to his tipping point and is shown the door.

The same should be happening at B6 as far as I'm concerned. It'll bloody criminal if this is allowed to continue.

"Bloody criminal" lol, really Pride?

I've enjoyed huge parts of this season, including some of the best results I've ever seen as a Villa fan. It's also been a bizarre season under the circumstances.

I don't think Smith is in the same pile as Phil Brown and Gary Megson just yet.

I would have taken a 12th placed finish at the start of the season, and even though a lot of people thought Europe was on the cards after a brilliant first half of the campaign I thought that was a little premature, but to chuck away a top ten finish when for most of the season it looked nailed on, allowing a poor Arsenal and newly promoted Leeds to leapfrog us is baffling. We have dropped far too many points against teams because of lack of tactical nous and the responsability lies with Dean.
I doubt this has gone unnoticed by the owners. He won't be given much time if he starts next season the way his team have finished this one.

Seems pretty simple to me. Promotion, survival, mid table then try for Europe. If we're where we are now with no signs of improving 10 or more games into next season then his time is up. I'm sure many won't be happy with that point of view but in all honesty there's plenty of Villa fans that have wanted him out from virtually minute one and that's not going to change whatever he does. We've progressed again this season and I'll only think his times up when I can't see us progressing and in my opinion that's not come yet and nothing that happens from now till the end of the will persuade me otherwise.

We don’t need to replace 12 players

Kalinic —-No replacement
Heaton —Replacement—-Out of Contract
Guilbert —Kessler
ELM———Replacement —-Out of Contract
Taylor—-—Replacement——Out of Contract
Engels——Replacement
Hourihane—Sanson ————Out of Contract
Barkley——Replacement
El Ghazi——Replacement
Traore———Replacement
Davis———-Young
Wesley ——-Replacement
Vassilev——-Barry

I doubt Traore will be leaving so that’s 7.
We don’t miss 4 of those players already because they aren’t at the club and 4 of the others without contracts we need replacements, an obviously Barkley needs replacing.

If we bring in just 4 players I take it we keep Engels, El Ghazi, Wesley, Guilbert and perhaps sign Barkley Permanently ? If not we’re either going to be very thin or that 4 Max you say is definitely going up.

We haven't got the money to buy 7 players of the quality we need, we won't be selling anyone we'd have trouble giving them away, do you really think we will be selling Wesley and Anwar and if so who to? One's our second-highest scorer he won't be going anywhere except our bench

Status
Not open for further replies.