The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 407 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a better manager at Villa for building a team than Lord Ron. He built 3 in his time there all of them successful.

If you learn anything from his era though , it is that it doesn't happen overnight and there are bumps on the way , and that a large part of why I still back Deano plus we are seeing continued improvement.

Some mad decisions back then too, selling Andy Gray and eventually paying 500k for Withe who was at second division Newcastle a bigger journeyman you'd have struggled to find. The man was a nut case replaced right back by Gidman with Kenny bloody Swain a mediocre inside forward from lowly Chelsea. Bring in Arsenal's reserve keeper wtf Ron was an idiot

You're being far too polite. It's a fucking moronic argument.
why is it a moronic argument?
Without JG, we struggle to win games every Pundit says the same, we have no Plan B ,but because our Manager is a Villa Fan - he is the right man for the Job! you will still be saying that after another 250m I would imagine!

Some mad decisions back then too, selling Andy Gray and eventually paying 500k for Withe who was at second division Newcastle a bigger journeyman you'd have struggled to find. The man was a nut case replaced right back by Gidman with Kenny bloody Swain a mediocre inside forward from lowly Chelsea. Bring in Arsenal's reserve keeper wtf Ron was an idiot
Kept persisting with John Deehan when we could all see he was no Keith Leonard. Brought in Tommy Craig and made him captain. David Geddis? Gary Williams, a youth product, got slaughtered for two years until he finally came good. Tried to sell Brian Little to Small Heath. Only bought McNaught because he played well against us in the league cup final. Bombed out Bobby McDonald and Steve Hunt. Brought in Mike Pejic to replace club legend Charlie Aitken.

we wouldn't score the number of goals!

I give you Liverpool & Newcastle H - Arsenal West Brom & Southampton A, all games we wouldn't have gained the wins without JG. are you trying to suggest we didn't need Jack this season- FFS take your DS glasses of for a second - if jack doesn't Play we dont create! we chucked the kitchen sink at Albion & only equalised due to a stupid defensive error. Wake up

Sigh! I was merely applying an objective means of estimating how we would have done, rather than your bland unsupported view that we'd have lost 15 points. Under my system where we scored 3 goals we would have only scored 1. I think that's fair enough.

Take your claim that we wouldn't have beaten WBA away. WBA were such a shambles at the time there's a high probability we would. Maybe only 0-1 instead of 0-3. But a win nevertheless.

We are distinctly better with Jack, top half material. But without him we'd have still have survived. In our poor run we've still averaged over a point a game. That's not relegation form.

Kept persisting with John Deehan when we could all see he was no Keith Leonard. Brought in Tommy Craig and made him captain. David Geddis? Gary Williams, a youth product, got slaughtered for two years until he finally came good. Tried to sell Brian Little to Small Heath. Only bought McNaught because he played well against us in the league cup final. Bombed out Bobby McDonald and Steve Hunt. Brought in Mike Pejic to replace club legend Charlie Aitken.
Geddis the 1979 version of Wesley

Without JG, we struggle to win games every Pundit says the same, we have no Plan B ,but because our Manager is a Villa Fan - he is the right man for the Job! you will still be saying that after another 250m I would imagine!

Yeah, it's nothing to do with him getting us promoted, keeping us up and then cementing our place back in the Premier League while playing some decent football along the way, its "bEcAusE he'S a vIlLa fAn"

Frank Carrodus and Des Bremner would be getting pelters on here as well.

Sigh! I was merely applying an objective means of estimating how we would have done, rather than your bland unsupported view that we'd have lost 15 points. Under my system where we scored 3 goals we would have only scored 1. I think that's fair enough.

Take your claim that we wouldn't have beaten WBA away. WBA were such a shambles at the time there's a high probability we would. Maybe only 0-1 instead of 0-3. But a win nevertheless.

We are distinctly better with Jack, top half material. But without him we'd have still have survived. In our poor run we've still averaged over a point a game. That's not relegation form.

Last edited by a moderator:
were sitting pretty in 17th on current form, that's fighting relegation form in my book & with No signs of Grealish coming back, do You see results improving? I maintain my point we would be fighting relegation if we didn't have JG earlier in the season - we willl spend another 140m & get 15th, that will be ok for some

Playing some nipper called Sid in a cup final
Playing some nipper called Sid in a Cup Final and that Bremner couldn't trap a bag of cement. Captain Mortimer didnt get an England cap but Geoff Thomas did but Ron didnt buy Geoff- total madness. Withe washed up and Morley is Championship level.

Am I misreading you because finishing 8th in a 22 team league for two seasons in a row was not stagnation. Particularly as he got us 2 league cups in the previous 3 seasons and a quarter final in the UEFA cup. I can’t remember a rush to sack him either but admittedly it was a long time ago!
i don't remember that either. i love it when history starts re-writing itself

equally you could call their argument and points they make "fucking moronic" but that would be petty and childish. I'd rather a grown up debate without the cheap insults

In fairness, I did give carrodus horrendous stick Des was a grafter but quite liked him. Geddis I nearly had a punch up over, when said he was fucking useless and a bloke in front didn't agree, I think I was right, never going to be Withe was he. Another player bought it because he did well in the cup final for Ipswich, He couldn't get a look inthere normally

In fairness, I did give carrodus horrendous stick Des was a grafter but quite liked him. Geddis I nearly had a punch up over, when said he was fucking useless and a bloke in front didn't agree, I think I was right, never going to be Withe was he. Another player bought it because he did well in the cup final for Ipswich, He couldn't get a look inthere normally

My Dad used to call Carrodus Cranky Franky !!! At least that's what I thought he was saying lol.

Keinan saved him from embarrassment vs Fulham and West Brom or else that would have meant we lost to all the 3 sides in the bottom. Yet Keinan won't come on until the 81st min against Everton.

give davis a run now, hes got the makings of a raging bull,,now that he as found the net, we should be on a good thing, ,jack rates him highly, more or less said he was hard as nails, seanie

Status
Not open for further replies.