The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 381 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to spend big on a centre mid who can actually create chances and find a much better solution out right as well. Traore isn't the answer but will be a good sub/ rotation option.

One early thing I like about watching Sanson, is that he drifts into the wide right or wide left position and seems quite natural at doing it.

When McGinn was on form at the start of last season, he seemed to enjoy drifting from central midfield to the right hand side. I remember one game - might have been Everton - he was shooting in sight and it seems to be how he plays for Scotland.

I can’t work out McGinns best position, I actually think he’s a bit of a liability holding as he thinks he has more time on the ball than he does. But I do like it when he keeps shape better, as the Bruce Willis all action type McGinn we used to get, was leaving us a bit exposed.

McGinn also does a great job at leading the midfield charge to press as a unit if that’s the instruction, just need everyone doing it not one player.

Dean has built a team and a system around jack freakish and now he is injured we look lost
I guess thats what happens when you rely on one player we have just become far too easy to play against because almost everything comes from the wings and nothing down the middle cant remember the last time we built up an attack through the middle and got a shot on target

That makes us so predictable and puts so much unnecessary pressure on Jack as he has to do everything for us when we attack. We need to create a playing style where our attacks are coming from all 3 sides rather than the left. If somehow teams learn to keep Jack in check, we are fucked !

Frankly we need better players up front. The system is fine and there's no system in existence that means we can work round having to play 2 from Trez, El Ghazi, an out-of-form Barkley or Davis. Bert is hit and miss, but those four are just miss.

Frankly we need better players up front

Yes. And the right kind of players. We have below par wingers when the 4231 system really means you need two wide all round forwards, so not only are Trez, AEG & Traore below the standard they aren't the right kinds of players either.

When you play two wingers in those wide positions then you end up 451 with your central striker isolated - oh wait...

I think Traore has shown he can do it, but he doesn't have the clout to be our main creative outlet, which he's been at points of late. His crosses can be excellent but need to be more consistent, plus he can definitely shoot when he's in the right position.

Really, Jack or no Jack, we need a no.10 who can *cliche alert* drag the ball up the pitch and get closer to Ollie than we are currently. A no.10 who was also strong and big enough to be an added aerial threat would be dreamland.

Same questions as last year despite having a better squad. ...Is it the coaching or are the players just not good enough. The players looked ok earlier on in the season so it's over to the coach and his system which seems to have been sussed out. Time for new thinking Dean unless you are just relying on Jack to stem this tide.

That makes us so predictable and puts so much unnecessary pressure on Jack as he has to do everything for us when we attack. We need to create a playing style where our attacks are coming from all 3 sides rather than the left. If somehow teams learn to keep Jack in check, we are fucked !
thats what happened in jacks last two games when teams doubled on on jack and made him non affective .thats where smith needs to box cleaver and switch him about so other teams wont know who is ment to be picking him up id like to see us attack down the middle a bit more too and not hoof every ball down the left hand side

everton spending millions, they always were a budget team like villa and there is not much between them, money is not always the answer, a lot of clubs have gone to the wall, including us, i think playing matches with empty grounds as got something to do with it, like keeping them motivated, when i played , we always had a fag at half time, ,seanie

Ancellotti has been at Everton just over a year.
There's evidence of what a high calibre manager brings to the table
And the fact that they're just two places above us in the league, have been an established premier league team for 20+ years and have recently spent shed-loads of money on "proven and experienced" players is supposed to make your argument?

Thing is, although I concede the season isn't over, we have gone from surviving by the grace of hawkeye and 1 point, to 10th and we've been above that all season so far.

Do we need better players? Yes.

Would Dean Smith argue otherwise? I doubt it.

Did we get a glimpse of sexy football? For me, yes.

Does that not suggest as we build, get better, that is the direction we are heading? I think so, hope so, dream so.

I would have gone for bigger and better. I said that before he was hired. However, I have been totally surprised by the leap up and feel it is bizarre that I am counting a few losses I didn't think we should have had - and I think the players have to take a lot of the blame at times (I think some got above themselves, a bit arrogant, and sloppy - top players don't do that) - that we could actually be higher than where I expected.

Said 10-12th (as a lot of us did) would be progress and I didn't think we'd get near it if I am honest.

So for me, it is a clear sign of progress in conflict with what I thought was possible.

I think it's amazing that we spend 20m on Traore and 28m on Ollie and possibly both are them are stepping stones. If the owners expected this them blimey how much money is it gonna cost to build a good squad.

At this rate of progress I would think they are expecting to spend a Billion over next 5yrs!!

Wow.

If we finish 10-12th that will represent good solid progress, it will also mean we've picked up over the final 10 games and this extended dire run is over.
At present though, I maintain , there are causes for concern and a big red warning sign flashing. The next and final phase of the season plus the summer comings and goings will be intèresting to say the least.

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that we spend 20m on Traore and 28m on Ollie and possibly both are them are stepping stones. If the owners expected this them blimey how much money is it gonna cost to build a good squad.

At this rate of progress I would think they are expecting to spend a Billion over next 5yrs!!

Wow.
Well, Edens funds a top level NBA side, so he KNOWS spending big on sportsmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.