The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 319 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not rewritting history. I clearly said "Has Dean been slated for keeping us up?". The important bit being keeping us up, after the event, not before. I was really careful with my language. I made sure I stated after he kept us up, and after he did he has not been slated. Thanks.

Yeah point noted but you were responding to idgavfc's post commenting on The lack of respect for Dean So far. Ie his overall tenure not just the post lockdown results

The debate over whether Dean Smith should go or stay is over as (according to the press) he was our man for next season regardless.

We all hope that he learns lessons, gets the quality players we need and takes us forward - because that will mean Villa having some success.

I think we can see that he is capable of learning lessons - we were much more structured and productive post lockdown.

The focus will be on recruitment, whether it knits together and that can only be monitored after we start the new season. This, I believe, will tell us whether Smith can a) pick a player b) attract big name signings and c) put a coherent strategy in place on the field of play.

I like Dean Smith, he is OUR manager but I'm well aware of the disjointed, sub-par performances served up last year. We will only truly know the club's intentions with the investment made this window. We will only truly know if Dean Smith can learn lessons and grow into the role if he is given the opportunity. Is it a risk, yes, but not a bigger risk than bringing in a new management team with different ideas. I think the celebrations showed that the team is together and that's a positive start.
Yes Need, although some of us are pro Smith,that doesn't mean it's a carte blanche scenario. Some of the tactics were so naive, watching from the Holte as Marvelous was by passed time after time. Playing Anwar,Trez and Jota is asking for trouble. Nice footballers but all three leaves us lightweight. The Bournemouth home game illustrated the gap between the championship and the premier league.Some have talked about win percentages and say they are facts. Fair enough but perhaps Dean's critics Will take into account Dean taking us from,maybe, relegation to Division 3,to an amazing promotion via a wonderful Wembley win. Then, maintaining our premier status and another trip to Wembley and defeat to Moneybags City,courtesy of a post. Some talk of FACTS, Promotion,two trips to Wembley and,despite ineffective recruitment, another season with the huge financial rewards which give us the chance to build. Remember our first top division under Saunders, heavy, heavy season. Like any Villa boss, Smith is permanently on probation. Just grateful for how he has turned our club round,from the threat of Division 3 goat least, the chance of becoming the club we all know we could, should,will be. A giant once again.

Yeah point noted but you were responding to idgavfc's post commenting on The lack of respect for Dean So far. Ie his overall tenure not just the post lockdown results
Yep, it's been the usual roller coaster for us. And even the performances post lockdown were not fantastic. Much, much more room for improvement - we are all aware that we are miles away from where we all want to be. I believe the owners are going for stability, everything the are setting up suggests that Dean Smith is going to be given every opportunity - over to you Dean, you've got a demanding fanbase to please.....good luck!

I can't think of anyone on this forum who holds a grudge or vendetta against Dean Smith hoping he'll fail so they can come on and say told you so.

We all want him to do well because as I've said before, a successful Dean Smith means a successful Aston Villa and that's all any Villa fan wants.

However, just like any Villa manager or player, he is not above criticism and as long as the criticism is constructive and not insulting then fine although you do also have to take into account people posting directly after a game and letting the red mist descend:mad:;)

I can't think of anyone on this forum who holds a grudge or vendetta against Dean Smith hoping he'll fail so they can come on and say told you so.

We all want him to do well because as I've said before, a successful Dean Smith means a successful Aston Villa and that's all any Villa fan wants.

However, just like any Villa manager or player, he is not above criticism and as long as the criticism is constructive and not insulting then fine although you do also have to take into account people posting directly after a game and letting the red mist descend:mad:;)

I lost my shite with him after the Chelsea defeat as we were totally battered and the scoreline flattered us, we played much better against Liverpool and Man United. which to me was obvious, then I started to believe we can do this and we just about got there, Said before the last 10 games kicked off we need to grind out 9 draws and a win, turned out we only needed 10 draws. People flapping about every game being a must-win when in fact they were must not lose games.

There are however people who never wanted him as he wasn't a "name", well I don't think Lord Ron was exactly a name neither was Brian Little or JG except to us.
DS has that Villa element to him and he gets "it" he knows what we know he feels like we feel and I'm sure he like anyone of us would do the job FOC. He's not here for the money, he's not using us as a stepping stone unless he ever gets the England call and if that ever came it would be because he's done well at Villa as GT did .
I've looked at the PL supposedly the best league in the world, taking away Klopp Gladioli and Mourinho, I think our man is as good as any of them, to be honest, I can't even name half of them and they are the best 20 managers in the world or should be if it's the best league

I lost my shite with him after the Chelsea defeat as we were totally battered and the scoreline flattered us, we played much better against Liverpool and Man United. which to me was obvious, then I started to believe we can do this and we just about got there, Said before the last 10 games kicked off we need to grind out 9 draws and a win, turned out we only needed 10 draws. People flapping about every game being a must-win when in fact they were must not lose games.

There are however people who never wanted him as he wasn't a "name", well I don't think Lord Ron was exactly a name neither was Brian Little or JG except to us.
DS has that Villa element to him and he gets "it" he knows what we know he feels like we feel and I'm sure he like anyone of us would do the job FOC. He's not here for the money, he's not using us as a stepping stone unless he ever gets the England call and if that ever came it would be because he's done well at Villa as GT did .
I've looked at the PL supposedly the best league in the world, taking away Klopp Gladioli and Mourinho, I think our man is as good as any of them, to be honest, I can't even name half of them and they are the best 20 managers in the world or should be if it's the best league

Think there are also people like me who realised there was a big challenge ahead and backed him from the start of the season (because there wasn't a good enough reason not to), but as the season drew to its close had come around to thinking we needed something better.

December was the first critical point. A lot of games, many difficult ones, but also a few we really had to win or at least get something out of. It required game management; try for something out of the difficult ones but make sure we won the easier ones.

A draw at MU was a fine start. Then we lost it. Of the remainder, lost 5 won 1 (Norwich, just), including poor losses to Southampton (H), Watford (A). Ended in the bottom three. Big questions.

January was fine; losses to MC and in the FA cup didn't count. February, March, disaster. Maybe we were too focused on Wembley. But 4 very poor league losses. And after the new 2 week break we came back, not refreshed and raring to go, but still half asleep. I have to blame management. Getting a team out primed to deliver is essential. More recently we turn off after drinks breaks; same thing.

I'm glad that at the end we stayed up; I thought 36 points would be OK and we could do it, in fact 35 was. But let's not delude ourselves; considering where we were 10 points from 10 matches is relegation form. We survived only because others failed, again and again.

We now have a team with a more solid defence. But for goals we rely on moments of flair from Jack, Trez, Connor. I can't see how to improve the team when the team doesn't have a shape good enough for going forwards.

Maybe Dean has a plan and with new players we can start playing like a decent PL team. But I can't see it. Too many questions unanswered.

The thing that got to me was that feeling of dread when they came out for the second half and you knew they were going to give an early goal away.

The team we saw in the last four games looked different to the previous 34 games. It felt like we finally grew up and started competing with the big boys. The last two goals conceded were a tad flukey so could have easily taken full points from Everton and West Ham, having beaten Palace and Arsenal. On that basis I think Deano is fully entitled to another shot at it and, with a better sporting director, maybe he'll get the right support this time round.

Brentford fans seem to be taking all this in good spirit as well. I thought they would be fuming about him walking when they are in such a good position. Most seem to think with the way their club is structured a new man will slot in straight away and things carry on as before. They do all say he is a top guy though
You called that one right ggs way back on this thread.

Gladioli :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I tend to agree although I think Mourinho has certainly gone down hill and not evolved. I think Ancelotti, Rogers, the fella from Wolves and Wilder are also strong candidates in the second tier of great managers behind the elite tier of Klopp and Pep.

After that Smith could be as good or better than any of them. Ole has had a mountain of money at United, he failed at Cardiff. Who is to say Smith or Potter or anyone else couldnt have done what Ole did.

So thats my thing unless we're talking about bringing in Poch we may as well stick with Dean.

Here's a tough one.

I want to keep Deano, I really do despite some high profile errors this season. However, sometimes an opportunity comes along that you just have to grasp. Eddie Howe is now on the rock n roll. Surely a significant upgrade.

Here's a tough one.

I want to keep Deano, I really do despite some high profile errors this season. However, sometimes an opportunity comes along that you just have to grasp. Eddie Howe is now on the rock n roll. Surely a significant upgrade.
Is he? Has Smith ever been relegated? Has Howe ever reached a cup final?

Here's a tough one.

Not for me. He knows Bournemouth inside out, spemt most of his playing career there before managing them. Flopped at Burnley when he did get an opportunity to move away and ended up going back. I'm not convinced he'll be anywhere near as successful at his next club

Status
Not open for further replies.