The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 316 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You surely don't think there is a cue of billionaires who want to risk their fortunes on football clubs do you?! they arent lining up around the block waiting for someone to sell.

I never said there was a queue of billionaires waiting?

You said {quote} Good luck finding someone with enough money to buy a football club and invest 100s of millions on playing staff with the risk of losing it all via relegation.

I was just naming 2 that have! 😀
Anyhow let’s hope our billionaire owners dig deep again this year. :utv:

Last edited:
Top quality players usually don't need time to click. Look at that goofy guy at manure, he took them from also rans to 3rd in the prem with classy performances from day 1.

agreed, I meant the whole club will finally click and start backing up the talk OR stop the talk if they can't back it up.

Give me the FA Cup any time over the Europa League - I just need the FA Cup to add to my 'collection'. We have been close on a couple of occasions but no cigar. Winning it this coming season would be nice though - along with a solid mid table position

Winning the Europa League gets you into the Champions League though. Winning the FA Cup, qualifies us for the Europa League.

Does he stay or does he go? That's the question some raised after promotion, and again at points of our less than stellar season. A year ago I thought he should stay; he'd done a great job getting us up the table and through the playoffs, and we had to see how far he could take us in the PL.

Season over, the question rears its head again, against a background where the owners will want us to push on and reach a significantly higher level in the PL. Does he stay, does he go? This time, while thanking him for his efforts, I'm opting for go. Here's why.

(1) The current team (team, not individuals) is poor. Apart from getting a defence to play at acceptable levels over recent matches, I can't see where it's going. We don't have an attack worthy of the name; without Trez's opportunistic goals in the last 4 matches we'd be well and truly down. I can't see how DS will improve it; even if we get more players in, I can't see how he'd put things together to make a competitive team capable say of mid-table. We don't have the sort of identity where we can say we need a player of type X to fit in position Y.

(2) I question his coaching. Jack is a player who is crying out for top level coaching. If he stays under DS, I think he'll stay at his current level. Some players have improved, notably Luiz and Konsa. But Luiz came with a good reputation and you could say he's only getting back to that level. Other players looked good to start with but seem to have tailed off; Guilbert, Engels and Nakamba, for example. Samatta looked OK for a couple of matches then looked lost.

(3) I think he's too close to the players. After West Ham, he said something about "going to get drunk with Jack". That shocked me, for a manager/coach. He has to have authority, respect. He has to have trust. Add in the fact that several players are probably teetotal, and I think he's operating on the wrong level.

(4) We need a coach who matches the aspirations of the owners. That means top level coaching, ability to forge players into an effective team, and tactical nous to get the best out of each and every match. To me DS just isn't at that level.

That's me. It's over to the owners!

Nicked.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-one-villa-fan-opts-for-the-latter-heres-why/

Well, after all that I'd still rather we changed manager but I can see that's not going to be a thing.

So come on Dean - prove to me that I'm a clueless wind-bag. I really hope you do.

We really do, consistently, go for very average managers don't we?

No, we normally go for shit ones, average is something most of them haven't been,
Only top managers we've actually had have been BFR and Houllier, some would add O'Neill but i despise him and he was only any good at Celtic.
The rest of our decent managers have been made by Aston Villa, Lord Ron, Sir Brian, Gregory all made their name at Villa and will be remembered as Villa managers Graham Taylor being a bit of an oddball as he's revered at Watford and Villa but ridiculed by England fans

Yes, I was being polite 57!! lol

And yes, I was thinking the last great appointment, and it was BFR and BL (with John Gregory) for me. JG became a very good appointment but I wasn't impressed when it was first announced he was lower div 2 (think it was div 2 not champ back then!) with Wycombe. But when he came he was a breath of fresh air as you'll remember and from his autobiog, he assumed everyone would hate him, so just went for it.

O'Neill right man for Doug, wrong for the big spending at the time, new set up.

Houllier, only real pedigree, but not well enough.

The rest, just much of a muchness of meh. And that is what we have come, meh. And yes, it hurts seeing it and saying it.

I'm talking in our modern history, very obviously.
Making a wider point Jonathan. Managers don't have to be from Spain, Germany, Portugal or South America. Smith has promoted us,got us to a Wembley final,where a post prevented us taking a club who buy the world's top players to extra time. Then kept us in the premier league with a team who finished fifth in the championship. Then he lost two of his best players, Tuanzabe and Abraham, compounded by losing Heaton and Mcginn to long term injuries. He was not helped by shambolic recruitment which used moneyball rather than his preferences for Webster, Phillips, Benrhama and Maupay. He took over a shambles not too many months ago and despite recruitment issues and calamitous injuries,we are a premier league club.

Status
Not open for further replies.