The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 262 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but he's a Villa fan so..................... !
There's no excuse is there? Even Saint Dean's apologists are struggling to defend the shambles.

No doubt they'll continue when Smith has the team playing the same cack and scratting around mid table in the Championship - not that I think he should even remotely get the chance to waste another year.

Or maybe its worth it to just to get to a League Cup final :lol: How many fucking points is that worth?

Let's not say how many reserve and youth teams we did beat to get at Wembley.

Yes, we beat Leicester in the Semi-Final and well done for that but at the end of the day, our name is not engraved on the league cup.

Villa fan and good bloke is Dean and like most Villa fans I have time for him but not when it comes to managing my football club, therefore that's a firm no thank you from me.

Last edited:
Where has anyone said signing Cahill would 100% do anything?

Ok if you want to be defensive about it then, how do we know that bringing in experienced players (despite who they are and which teams/leagues/countries they are from) would guarantee survival?

No, because he has never been out of London and at Villa before. Money talks
Not to mention the fact that he's originally from Yorkshire. I usually don't jump on the bandwagon of bringing former players back, but Cahill would have been the ideal signing. We need a minimum of four centre-backs and we brought in three with zero premier league minutes and another who'd been a left-back for the majority of his short career.

Ok if you want to be defensive about it then, how do we know that bringing in experienced players (despite who they are and which teams/leagues/countries they are from) would guarantee survival?

I don't want to be defensive about it, I want to debate, which is what I was doing.

How do I know experienced players would guarantee survival.

Where did I say it would guarantee anything?

However, I said at the start of the season you cannot have a manager, coaches and players ALL learning on the job. I said we needed experience and that the PL does not give you time to learn, you have to be at it.

I can't see where I was wrong at the moment, fingers crossed we scrape survival, that is all we can hope for now.

The chances are, experience, blended with some youth, would have set us in far better sted. Why? If I have to explain that, then surely it would be very condescending of me, but as I posted before, even the Man Utd 'kids' had a lot of experience around them to help them.

Shame our team weren't as defensive as you seem to be implying I have been really.

Not to mention the fact that he's originally from Yorkshire. I usually don't jump on the bandwagon of bringing former players back, but Cahill would have been the ideal signing. We need a minimum of four centre-backs and we brought in three with zero premier league minutes and another who'd been a left-back for the majority of his short career.

Agreed. We keep saying this player wouldn't come, that player wouldn't come, same with managers. This is Aston Villa. If it acted half as big as it talked, pretty much most apart from the ultra elite (although we could be amongst them) could be tempted!

But fans are happy with Smith and his wonderful cv because he is a Villa fan, so maybe some of us just have to accept that is the size of Villa now. Bang average.

There's no excuse is there? Even Saint Dean's apologists are struggling to defend the shambles.

No doubt they'll continue when Smith has the team playing the same cack and scratting around mid table in the Championship - not that I think he should even remotely get the chance to waste another year.

Or maybe its worth it to just to get to a League Cup final :lol: How many fucking points is that worth?
There is no excuse for calling people apologists just because they hold a different view to you is there? I watched the Villa show on youtube after the game last night and again they were not calling for Dean's head, they stated that it was 50/50 among the fans they speak to about sacking Smith, and why wouldn't you believe them, they are just as valid as the views on here. We had to put up with this division of the fans nonsense when MON left, and all it created was ill feeling ,arguments and negativity. None of which benefits the forum, club, or us a fans. So if it is at all possible can we do without terms like apologists and that shit please.

Agreed. We keep saying this player wouldn't come, that player wouldn't come, same with managers. This is Aston Villa. If it acted half as big as it talked, pretty much most apart from the ultra elite (although we could be amongst them) could be tempted!

But fans are happy with Smith and his wonderful cv because he is a Villa fan, so maybe some of us just have to accept that is the size of Villa now. Bang average.
Think small, be small. I remember when JG brought in Merson, Ginola. Two huge names in the English game. Yes, Ginola was towards the end of his useful shelf-life, but he was happy to come to Villa when I'm sure other big clubs were sniffing around. Despite his off-field troubles, Merson was arguably one of the best English attacking midfielders of his generation.
This current "recruitment strategy" is simply Lambert's "young and hungry" version 2.0.

There is no excuse for calling people apologists just because they hold a different view to you is there? I watched the Villa show on youtube after the game last night and again they were not calling for Dean's head, they stated that it was 50/50 among the fans they speak to about sacking Smith, and why wouldn't you believe them, they are just as valid as the views on here. We had to put up with this division of the fans nonsense when MON left, and all it created was ill feeling ,arguments and negativity. None of which benefits the forum, club, or us a fans. So if it is at all possible can we do without terms like apologists and that shit please.

Fans always split on managers, it is what we do, and god knows, we've had enough crap managers to split over!

yup, and without proper coaching and management, they haven't looked at all hungry have they?!
I just edited my previous post to correct the disgraceful grammatical mistakes that happen when you're slamming your fingers against the keyboard in anger, and before the morning coffee has had the desired effect.... :tophat:

I've said all along that we could have pulled in a big name manager and big name players. We were in prime position to do that but we didn't and blew what could have been a great future for us. I wanted Brendan Rodgers when he seemed unsettled at Celtic but people said why would he leave Celtic. I wanted us to buy experience but people said they would cost too much.

Well not doing any of these things is going to cost us at least £150m for every season we are not in the PL. So I think these so called expensive moves look cheap now. In order for the club to survive we will have to sell off the crown jewels and start again hoping that somehow this ragbag of a squad is going to produce a new superstar. Relegation will put us back years and then we face the same scenario again. We are in great danger of becoming a yo-yo club just like the Tesco bags.

We did this in 2015, we watched Fulham last season and what they did. But did we learn.......did we fuck. Why can other clubs without our resources get it right yet we pay people millions to fuck things up.

Until we get people in who recognise who we are and are capable of making sensible and logical decisions we are fucked.

If I was the owners I would get rid of the whole useless lot whose decisions have made this season the shambles that it is.

Purslow, Smith, Terry, that scruffy assistant and Suso, get your coats as your services are no longer required.

I've said all along that we could have pulled in a big name manager and big name players. We were in prime position to do that but we didn't and blew what could have been a great future for us. I wanted Brendan Rodgers when he seemed unsettled at Celtic but people said why would he leave Celtic. I wanted us to buy experience but people said they would cost too much.

Same, never like our club talked down and it has grown and grown. People are so used to middle of the road and bang average managers.

And same re Brendan. Even did my bit on Sky Sports saying I'd break the bank for him. He waxed lyrical about Aston Villa when we got McGinn, was unhappy at Celtic, and money talks. Give him the proper vision and managers of his ilk (all managers I guess) have egos. They believe in themselves and people know the size this club could be.

Of course, we have no proof we didn't approach, but hey ho, I still say we've done about 7 or so wrong manager appointments and it has cost this club so dearly. If we had spent big at the time on the right sort of manager, who knows where we'd be.... not being relegated for the second time I would proffer as a good guess.

Fair enough, to a point -

However if I see one eyed farcical defence of Smith, and or a comical attempt to blame anyone but the manager being ultimately accountable (fancy that!), then I'm going to call it out. Sorry but not sorry.

But just for you I won't call them apologists.

I'll call them fantasists instead :Fingers:

I remember the very first day after meeting the players and watching a training session O'Kelly said how they were blown away with the quality and skill of the squad and I instantly thought on every account, that's a fatal remark to make and only highlights how little you know and just playing into the player's hands and fed their ego's.

After analysing what they have got to work with, a good and experienced coach who was used to a higher level would have said nothing and later acted accordingly as would a good and experienced manager.

Last edited:
Fans always split on managers, it is what we do, and god knows, we've had enough crap managers to split over!
Similar with players. The drill at Villa even at Wembley recently-take your seat and be very careful what you say and how you criticise - support your team whatever as the manager knows best or is good enough. Seeing fans kick shit out of each other because the manager or the players he picks have an absolute shocker. That along with the tripe that is served up - it’s why I don’t have a season ticket anymore and pick n choose my games. Wouldn’t it be refreshing for Smith to say he ain’t been good enough or the club heads to say we have made a mistake. Since lockdown it’s been a total snore fest, Grealish still on happy gas leading the troops and Smith at the helm utterly lost after talking tactics with the suit Purslow who we all know is kind of telling him who to play.

Last edited:
There is no way in a million years that Purslow of all people is dictating who plays and who doesn't. There's plenty of actual problems with the squad and coaching staff currently without making up extra bullshit on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.