The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 152 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But loyalty and sentimentality isn't really something that works in sport is it?

If we'd got a top manager to bring in Jan 1st, I'd have thought it totally reasonable. Now, it isn't, as we are nearly done for the window. I have also said that those above Dean need looking at if he is at fault, so are they (not the owners!)

Hope he keeps us up, once done, sorry, I'd be looking for a top pedigree manager OR we all accept that we are a formerly big club, now an also ran - like so many before us (and how we have been acting for years)

Loyalty is gone in the game and I agree, once the season is over and if we stay up, I think we should say goodbye and thank you Dean and look for a top manager who will attract top players.
I think he did great in getting us promoted albeit that it's probably affected us for the worse as we are a year ahead of schedule.
I also think, as many others have said, that he's had a relatively free-ride thus far because of who he is and that he's a dyed in the wool Villa fan.
If it was anyone else, I think they'd have been hounded out by now.

Imagine if we got someone in like Poch - the type of players who would want to come and work with him would increase rather than players wanting to come to us just because we're in the Prem.

I only want the best for my team. If that means Pol Pot is managing us then so be it.
Same goes for any position. Put Reina in on Sunday. I don't want someone in just because they've had one or two good games out of 20 and we think we should reward him for that.

Aim for the moon and if you miss you get the stars.

Loyalty is gone in the game and I agree, once the season is over and if we stay up, I think we should say goodbye and thank you Dean and look for a top manager who will attract top players.

Feels horrible saying it really, doesn't it? But we do have to progress.

Imagine if we got someone in like Poch - the type of players who would want to come and work with him would increase rather than players wanting to come to us just because we're in the Prem.

Yup, as you say, just imagine.

It would finally put us back on the map in my humble.

It is what I've been banging on about for a while - and boring most I'm sure.

Go for a manager with pedigree, you then see the big club that is crying to come out, appear.

Or stick with average, middle of the road, and that is where we will stay!

I think if we were performing as we are at present after being in the top division for the past 25+ years, as was the case pre 2016, Smith would indeed be getting more stick irrespective of whether he was a Villa fan or not and there would be a greater chance of him facing the sack. The reality is that we’ve been in decline for the best part of a decade and have risen in the last 12 months from a lower base. This time last year we were half way in the Championship after already being stuck there for the previous 2 seasons. Before I’m accused again of living in the past, it’s relevant because whilst we’d all love to be top half, our expectation is lower than it was 7, 8, 9 years ago when we’d been an established top division team for many years.If we survived this year and 0-6 hammerings combined with a lack of application and steel were being witnesses this time next season, I’m pretty sure the owners would be pulling the trigger. As I’ve said before, I think Smith deserves this season at the very least. If he stays in the summer and we repeat it next season after more investment in the summer and more experience under the belt of those who have joined this season, he’ll soon be out of the door and the consensus on here regarding his fate, would no doubt be more united than it is at present.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I've seen something in most of the signings to suggest they'd be better next season if coached right.

Yeah, said similar, some are writing them off totally. They could come good, others we have let go have. But to bring in all of them at once, has led to these struggles. It is just the lack of experience to blend with the youth. We've tried it before and it didn't work. If only people would look back and learn from history!

Then why does he keep on saying in interviews that it was his decision not to pay that much for Maupay? Talk about throwing yourself under the bus.

Is he lying? Is he a puppet? or is he telling the truth and made a really poor error of judgement?

I reckon he's telling the truth. He knows Maupay, I reckon he thought he's nowhere near that price. Maupay's hardly tearing it up at Brighton. Question mark over whether Wesley is any better, but I reckon DS thought he was a better fit. Before Wesley's injury, he might have looked like a trainee some of the time, but scoring goals was not where our problems lay. Frankly, I think we need somebody better than Wesley but I'm pretty sure Maupay wouldn't be the answer. This bloke from Genk might be the answer. Might. Here's hoping.

DS being a Villa fan is useful. There's a connection there with the fans, which matters. It's definitely a bonus. But it's not more than that.

We might see improvements over the rest of the season and finish in a decent position, and the owners might turn around and say no, for the next stage we need something different. I'm OK with that; it's the way things should be done. If, that is, one is confident in the owners' vision and judgement. Equally, they might see DS as still integral to the plan, and keep him. I'm OK with that as well.

If they did change managers I don't think they'd go for a "big name" manager as such. I think they'd go for whoever is the right fit for where they want us to go. Might be big name, might be not. The game is littered with big name managers who went to the wrong club.

DS being a Villa fan is useful. There's a connection there with the fans, which matters. It's definitely a bonus. But it's not more than that.

Only thing I would say is that a ot of people mentioned how important it was to have someone who knows the club and now it doesnt seem like that matters anymore. This was often said in troublesome times much like this too.

Honestly I'd only take a big name who is still doing it, I am unsure I would have liked Mourinho for example or honestly I am not sure I'd even want Ancelotti. Names like Conte, Zidane, LeBlanc its really difficult to know if they could do something with us. Its worth saying Moyes probably had the same level of reputation in terms of a 'name' as Rodgers so I think big name means different things to different people.

Poch is literally one of the only names I can think of that is potentially available that I'd take. I'd have Jupp Heynckes actually but I dont know about his longevity at 74.

Then why does he keep on saying in interviews that it was his decision not to pay that much for Maupay? Talk about throwing yourself under the bus.

Is he lying? Is he a puppet? or is he telling the truth and made a really poor error of judgement?
The great Ron Saunders used to take pleasure in winding up the interviewers - perhaps Dean is doing the same?

I don't care who, but can we give just one manager a decent amount of time to try and do the job properly? Just one, is that to much to ask?
Yes, get in the corner Wurz - the naughty step awaits lol

Joking aside though given all the comparisons, I know DS is somewhat hamstrung with our injuries, but he does really need to come out fighting and get back to his Brentford game management style, instead of the predictable subs we see (especially when subs aren't rewarding his choice in them).

I don't care who, but can we give just one manager a decent amount of time to try and do the job properly? Just one, is that to much to ask?

Not sure managers do get that much time, look at Watford, manager after manager, and I was critical in my thinking about that until one of the pundits pointed out, I think on MOTD, that it has worked for them.

Would you get loads of time in your job if you kept failing? Bit different this I get mate, as they do have to change over the churn from other managers etc.

But this set up? This season? Again, I'm not talking in hindsight, I called it for what it was at the start, 'not right' ..... and not having another striker was total folly.

Not sure if that is the manager or aboves fault. I suspect a fair bit is above but the manager is agreeing to work with whatever the set up is.

But this set up? This season? Again, I'm not talking in hindsight, I called it for what it was at the start, 'not right' ..... and not having another striker was total folly.

Not sure if that is the manager or aboves fault. I suspect a fair bit is above but the manager is agreeing to work with whatever the set up is.

Do you think its fair to say many are so annoyed because when you look at it if we had a tad bit more experienced we could be well clear of this.

We've been dreadful for about two months and jackal and hyde for the remainder of the season and yet a win could lift us up into 15th.

More experience and less signings? Trouble with that is you have less cover when injuries happen. And we have had injuries, which is stretching us even with the signings we had. Still seething that that dirty Burnley barsteward didn't get a straight red for the foul on Wesley.

Although they downplayed ideas of signings in this window, I've always felt that the brake was put on the summer signings in order to leave scope for more in this window, not just to replace injured players, but to continue the rebuilding.

Don't get most of the long arguments. Yes there is mitigation but the only thing that is important is the structures and organisation on the pitch. JF says he can't see any. So, if we don't see improved performances, structures, commitment and a willingness to compete, Dean Smiths days will be numbered. And I like Dean Smith.

If they introduce a progressive pricing structure and slash ticket, shirt prices etc by 50% and gradually increase them as he learns to do the job properly then yes. In all seriousness, these days managers have to earn their time. Fans are being asked to pay more and more to support the side so I'm afraid building up to something for 3 years while fans pay through the nose to watch rubbish just doesn't fly. Back in the day when the game was a more down to earth reasonable affair I would be perfectly happy to give a manager time.

Status
Not open for further replies.