The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 149 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean clearly stated that there were WhatsApp conversations between management, including him, agreeing player deals in the summer. Any manager will always stand or fall by his signings.
If we still show all the coaching of a pub team against Brighton then Watford I’m afraid with regret that’s all the time I would give him, nice guy which he is, Villa fan or not.

For sure some heads need to roll.

Purslow is very quiet which is unusual. Something is going on.
You'd like to hope it's an indication that he and Suso, with DS on the phone, are doing everything they can.

Again I can only go back to my guesswork but we have 50m wriggle room on FFP even on relegation, with Mings/Jack, McGinn (whether we like it or not) we can probably go more.

If we enter February without a recognised (or highly rated player abroad with a track history) striker, I'll be changing my opinion as that would truly be criminal.

We had a defence over the summer with so many players to replace...we don't this window and as I've said before, short term, I'd not be against a Glenn Murray type. Proven, experienced, knows where the net is, but knows how to bully a defence.

Not flashy, but flashy isn't what we need.

Dean clearly stated that there were WhatsApp conversations between management, including him, agreeing player deals in the summer. Any manager will always stand or fall by his signings.
If we still show all the coaching of a pub team against Brighton then Watford I’m afraid with regret that’s all the time I would give him, nice guy which he is, Villa fan or not.

I genuinely wonder how this current set up worked in signing Drinkwater?? I don’t think Smith has much to do with the signings, maybe gets given the odd player to make him feel he is part of it all - Jota,Engels??

I actually think more and more Smith has started to become disillusioned. He has also stopped doing what he did well in getting us promoted - coach the players he has at his disposal.

He got the players at it against a poor Burnley side, Brighton are also poor but a different proposition as they can play a bit.

Will Smith throw his dummy out or man up? He may also decide to take his pay off that was guaranteed to him with the foolish contract extension earlier in the year. Having said all that will the owners back him with more signings? Isn’t worth it if it’s dross like Drinkwater.

Maybe he's been blocked from the WhatsApp group then as he was distancing himself after the man city 'match' saying he didn't know if pepe was due to sign and didn't know of any progress striker wise.

Hope those above don't hang him out to dry without doing the same to themselves

You need to stop living in the past.

Ah right, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately though I’ll still post to defend Smith when I think it’s deserved as well as criticise when I think it’s necessary. And I’m sure you’ll continue to criticise him all the time. Much of my post did refer to the ‘here and now‘ and how things need to improve. Some of it defended Smith’s record in the 15 months he’s been at the club as I think it’s relevant to the debate. Your post this afternoon referred to the ‘Pro Smith camp’ and you inferred that their opinions of Smith raised last season could now be dismissed because we’re struggling. I tried to address the points you raised...so why not respond by addressing the points made in my post? ie why sacking him last February would have been beneficial, why 5 months trying to mould a new squad is long enough to justify his sacking, why sacking him now would be a sensible option and therefore who we could appoint to replace him....Much better than telling me to ‘stop living in the past’ and posting ‘happy clapper’ motifs!

I genuinely wonder how this current set up worked in signing Drinkwater?? I don’t think Smith has much to do with the signings, maybe gets given the odd player to make him feel he is part of it all - Jota,Engels??

I actually think more and more Smith has started to become disillusioned. He has also stopped doing what he did well in getting us promoted - coach the players he has at his disposal.

He got the players at it against a poor Burnley side, Brighton are also poor but a different proposition as they can play a bit.

Will Smith throw his dummy out or man up? He may also decide to take his pay off that was guaranteed to him with the foolish contract extension earlier in the year. Having said all that will the owners back him with more signings? Isn’t worth it if it’s dross like Drinkwater.
They must surely be preparing to back him further because even if Drinkwater was any good just signing him and no one else would be a complete waste of time and money and Smith must surely have told them so.

They must surely be preparing to back him further because even if Drinkwater was any good just signing him and no one else would be a complete waste of time and money and Smith must surely have told them so.
Well his reaction after Sunday’s drubbing was he didn’t know much. He didn’t even know Reina was at the game apparently. His comments about not knowing much and how he spoke will earn him no favours. Between the lot of them they better sign a striker to play this weekend, I don’t want to see yellow belly Kodjia either.

Well his reaction after Sunday’s drubbing was he didn’t know much. He didn’t even know Reina was at the game apparently. His comments about not knowing much and how he spoke will earn him no favours. Between the lot of them they better sign a striker to play this weekend, I don’t want to see yellow belly Kodjia either.
Right. Well I havnt seen his interview, I was too busy crying after the game.

I'm sorry but some of your attitudes towards Dean Smith are nothing more than disgusting, pathetic, short sighted and petty.

He inherited one of the worst Villa squads I've ever seen. More than half of our best players last season weren't even ours, they were here on loan. If you told me this time last year that we would be 18th in the premier league in January 2020, I would have laughed you out of the room.

So what changed in the summer? We lost Abraham and replaced him with Wesley, we lost Tuanzebe and replaced him with Engels and Konsa, we signed Targett for left back who has been injured more often than not, we got Guilbert back from loan, we signed two defensive midfielders to replace Whelan and Jedinak. Does that sound like a squad that will go from 5th in the championship to mid table premier league to you?

Heaton was a bright spark. Hes injured.

McGinn started brightly. Injured.

We have scored MORE GOALS than anyone outside of the top six and we haven't even had a bloody striker this season. Please explain to me how the FIRST TEAM COACH deserves ANY BLAME for keeping us out of the relegation zone for the majority of the season with a squad of absolute SHITE?

I said it in May and I'll say it again now. Stay up or go down, Dean Smith has my full backing 100%. He is the man to coach the aston villa first team. End of story.
Fair play, I'm in your corner on this one mate.

Or we're overreading and he was focusing on the game, and was going to get an update after but took the interview first. Not the first to say he didn't know what had happened during a game is he?

And whatever control he has on deals, it's not 100% anyway.

Genuinely, do you think Smith was focused before, during and after the Man C game?

No, if I was in his position with no striker I'd be shitting it, but that doesn't mean he was on his phone playing football manager and not trying to fake some confidence going into the game for the squad lol

After the game he was absolutely deflated but he knows he has commitments regardless and an update on Reina or others isn't going to make a difference if he waits an hour and takes the time to calm down.

Think this weekends game at Brighton is defining for Smith, need a big response and performance from the team he picks, it a must win for Smith.
Another defeat and poor performance and it seems quite simple to me that the owners must say enough is enough, still enough games for a new face to get the players working game in game out instead of the poor performances they deliver at present. Every game it’s defend in depth, hope for a break and hope we hold on, when was the last game we took it to the opposition instead of being overrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.