The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 148 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm down folks.

Passions are high. But on 'both sides' of the argument there have been a few barking and a bit of pettiness.

It is ok to disagree you know, we all want the same thing at the end of the day, we just see things differently.

No need for silly squabbles.

Becauae of the insults and digs and people taking my posts out of context and not reading them I'll say this last bit and then no more on this matter. I didn't want Smith, wasn't convinced with him in the chumpionship when we had him, fair play to him for the fantastic run and the promotion but the truth is if the people that run football weren't such money grubbing parasites we would still be in the championship as we finished 5th best in the league, as for players we have seen that the current lot are capable as we have almost got some good results from the big teams but VAR has screwed us over, the problem is Smith seems he can not motivate them, his team selection and tactics are awful, the subs 99% of the time are wrong and he just doesn't learn from the mistakes. Unless he drastically turns it around then he will not be here for long. Since he hasn't been sacked already I will not say anymore and will quietly back him. I really am praying he turns things around.

Didn't think he was up to the job and said it fairly publicly (SSN!) ... thought the job was too big for a man who had managed just Walsall and Brentford

Once appointed, same as most here I think, I hoped, was slightly enticed that he is Villa and remembered I never wanted John Gregory way back when.

Also, can't argue with those who rightly point out, he got us up. No one expected that before the 10 match unbeaten, I was already writing articles in my head about our new direction, players leaving, having to be in the Championship a long time, etc!

But football is about results, it is a brutal game and he looks to be shattered and out of his depth. I, like a few others, have questioned how buys these players, does Smith get any say? Purslow isn't in front of the cameras with the manager right now, he was before, (which I found odd, silly and 'off') and the DoF has obviously had a big say.

But I also don't see any decent basics, any good coaching, any shape, and if not for Jack, I think (just my opinion, not got stats to back this up) we'd be buried at the bottom of the table already.

I don't think we are any more unlucky than any other team (apart from the blessed at the top) and I don't think what some said would happen this season, after I was talking about 'it ain't right' (!) has happened. ie the team, manager, coaches will learn on the job and improve.

I think we've got worse.

That's my two pennies worth.

And I don't have the answer as to who in. In fact, now we are mid way through Jan, I'd not be getting rid of a manager anyway, unless we really do start to lose game after game (in a row).

And my feelings on the size of this club and the sort of manager pedigree we should be going for are pretty clear. We could have gone for Rodgers, we went for a manager at Brentford (who seem to be better without him, which worries me)

It is upsetting all this, because he is a Villa fan, a Villa man, and I'm sure it kills him and his friends and family.

But unless we go on a run, or see some improvement, I can only look at what I've seen so far and the whole lot look to have done a Fulham, made a pigs ear of it, and even if we stay up (unless we shoot up the league in some glorious style like when JG first came here) I would be changing direction in the summer, unless the owners aren't as ambitious as we all hope and think they are.

So what have they won then ?.

And please don't come back with finishing 3rd or 4th crap because seeing as we are talking small time .....
To me that is the very definition of small time.

Basically. Show me your trophies Spurs and Everton or fcuk off.

I don't know about finishing 3rd or 4th being small time...when we had three top 6 finishes in a row under MON I don't remember too many fans calling us small time...not even from rival clubs. After ten years of decay I would give my hind teeth to see Villa a top six club again let alone finish in the top four...if that's me thinking small time so be it. I'll take that over the utter dross we have had to put with over the last decade.

I am something of a Dean Smith supporter but. with some reservations.
While sticking to a system you have a had some success with may be commendable but, if you don't have the players available who are comfortable, or able to perform within that system, it becomes suicidal.
I understand DS's belief in the system but, a little bit of reality needs to check in at some time, the sooner the better.
Douglas Luis for example is not anywhere near to being a DM, not for a few years yet anyway. He's much more of a central midfielder at the moment. He needs to learn the art of the right time and way to tackle, also how to shuttle a player where he doesn't want to go.
If you are playing two wingbacks, you ideally need them to go one at a time, or have two DM's who can defend. One of whom would ideally be able to perform as a box-to-box player at the appropriate time. That two man DM set up is also ideal for a three man defence.
Playing with a big man designated as the number 9 is kind of old hat in the premiership and has been for a while now.
The successful teams have players alternating the central position and the vast majority of crosses they send in are ground level, into the space for whichever player is following in. Most passes into the penalty area are ground passes because defenders find them difficult to deal with, as a touch on a player can easily result in a penalty.

I expected ups and downs from the start of the season. Newly promoted, a load of new players, etc. Consistency is one of the harder things in this league; just look at most of the other teams. I didn't expect it of us. I think that'll be the pattern for the rest of the season; there's a possibility things might click enough to go on a run but I don't expect it.

But will we get enough points to survive? I think so. Not certain but I feel the odds are in favour of that. As it stands we only need to gain 1 point to get out of the drop zone, and there's several teams just above us who also are struggling.

It seems to be the case that at least some of the bottom three from a month ago are putting some wins together so if that continues then we're likely sunk mate but it is what it is - if we can't start picking up a win and draw out of every three games from here on out then we're probably going down.

BTW, back to the topic of capping or keeping DS - well I've really no idea at all as I wouldn't even bother trying to weigh up the true worth of a football manager in anything less than three full seasons, regardless of who they are or the circumstances at the given club.

Last edited:
I don't know about finishing 3rd or 4th being small time...when we had three top 6 finishes in a row under MON I don't remember too many fans calling us small time...not even from rival clubs. After ten years of decay I would give my hind teeth to see Villa a top six club again let alone finish in the top four...if that's me thinking small time so be it. I'll take that over the utter dross we have had to put with over the last decade.

In truth . So would I BP. For now...
But I guarantee finishing 3rd or 4th for a few seasons will soon wear thin and no trophies, no finishing higher than that will leave 'pushing on ' questions being asked. This thread in my humble is proof of the lack of patience in modern football.

Arsenal under Wenger , prime example of fans not being content with 4th place. Poch was sacked partially because they didnt win anything . Those champions league finishes didn't satisfy Spuds fans for long .
Those questions were being asked under MON. I remember being pissed off with that 3rd 6th place finish in a row. Thinking. where now ?

I think my head is a little blown and confussed. Because we don't know who deano bought in i feel harsh on being negative towards him. He may not have had a choice how many strikers we got in the summer or what full backs.

On the other hand, we as a team HAVE gone backwards. By a high margin. And players have gone backwards too. Players that looked like potential but needed development now look like they have nothing.

Then I think of the nightmare injuries weve had. Mings, SJM, Heaton, Wes and i feel for deano again.

Then i look at some of the formations and tactics and it gets me questioning if he knows what he is doing.

Then I wonder, what if he did want all these players and only 1 striker?

Then I think about him getting us promoted and us at the start of the season we did look good.

So I have no view on this matter or in this thread anymore so you should move onto the post below.

No takers then ?.

Ok.
Capello anyone? . Top top manager won trophies all over the place.

Shame about England though

The sarcasm is noted, but can't for the life of me see what you are trying to achieve with those posts MD. I know you don't accept crap football and Villa letting themselves down.

I also have seen you say we should stick with Smith come what may. A perfectly valid argument/point of view.

My view is fans are readily accepting - for years - mediocrity and I'm (personally) bored of it.

The view I have is exactly that, we need a top pedigree manager. Fine, keep naming those who did well and then also flopped, fill your boots.

For me, Aston Villa deserves better than run of the mill, bog standard managers. That is what we've had for sooo many years now and what have we become?

Bog standard and at times, a joke.

I don't accept it. I know the Villa for what they could and should be and what people fought for years to try to get. I also note that some will readily accept this churn of middle of the road, average and/or bog standard managers and what they bring. Which is average, bog standard performances, league positions and cup capitulations.

Instead of people being sarcastic and dismissive, as well as passive aggressive, you could debate. Bizarre idea I realise in this social media, totally binary world.

Would I take Capello over Smith? Probably. Sue me!

But it wouldn't be that big a stretch of the imagination that our owners, with their wealth, could get top advice and attract the right sort with the right pedigree.

I don't know about finishing 3rd or 4th being small time...when we had three top 6 finishes in a row under MON I don't remember too many fans calling us small time.

I did and so did others, since when did they hand out trophies to 6th place, the first time we hit 6th yes ok not bad but 3 times on the trot with the money we spent I thought was poor and I wanted the egotistical little shit out before he walked out and left us in the lurch.

Sorry , mention of that tosser always boils my blood.

Marlon Harewood to it

In truth . So would I BP. For now...
But I guarantee finishing 3rd or 4th for a few seasons will soon wear thin and no trophies, no finishing higher than that will leave 'pushing on ' questions being asked. This thread in my humble is proof of the lack of patience in modern football.

Arsenal under Wenger , prime example of fans not being content with 4th place. Poch was sacked partially because they didnt win anything . Those champions league finishes didn't satisfy Spuds fans for long .
Those questions were being asked under MON. I remember being pissed off with that 3rd 6th place finish in a row. Thinking. where now ?

I get your point Melon. And I respect your opinion. I just hope for the day these conversations will be a thing of the past and we can all be proud again of a club with a management and team worthy of its name

But who can't see the faults mate and whose sleepwalking?

I've strongly argued the other side, patience and an acceptance that in the current climate our name means naff all because we're six months in, half a new squad (with the other half not good enough last year, let alone this year) settling into the country let alone the division.

Doesn't mean I don't want us to be better it just means I don't have pie in the sky assumptions that we should be walking over teams or comfortably midtable, so for now one point from safety is good enough.

A good January means we should be better, so this time next month one point away from the relegation zone will be good enough - and that'll be good enough at the end of the season.

Doesn't mean one point off the relegation zone is where I'll accept us being when the players have 12 months experience of the division, we strengthen further and so on.

It seems - whether it's speed of typing or an assumption others know fully what people mean - the two camps can only be:

This is great, stop whinging.

OR

This is shit, sack everyone and start again and in six months if we aren't 40 points better off already it'll still be shit, so get the P45s ready again.

But who can't see the faults mate and whose sleepwalking?

I've strongly argued the other side, patience and an acceptance that in the current climate our name means naff all because we're six months in, half a new squad (with the other half not good enough last year, let alone this year) settling into the country let alone the division.

Doesn't mean I don't want us to be better it just means I don't have pie in the sky assumptions that we should be walking over teams or comfortably midtable, so for now one point from safety is good enough.

A good January means we should be better, so this time next month one point away from the relegation zone will be good enough - and that'll be good enough at the end of the season.

Doesn't mean one point off the relegation zone is where I'll accept us being when the players have 12 months experience of the division, we strengthen further and so on.

It seems - whether it's speed of typing or an assumption others know fully what people mean - the two camps can only be:

This is great, stop whinging.

OR

This is shit, sack everyone and start again and in six months if we aren't 40 points better off already it'll still be shit, so get the P45s ready again.

For sure some heads need to roll.

Purslow is very quiet which is unusual. Something is going on.

noticed you liked the last post too Mike, you should know this most of all.

I'm capable of agreeing with a post without it being a dig at those who don't agree with it SSV.

I'm also capable, as I demonstrate regularly, of liking a post simply because it explains a point of view I absolutely don't agree with, but I like and appreciate the manner in which the argument is laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.