The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 75 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we all need to remember that this season is a learning curve for Dean Smith, his first ever season at the top table. I get the impression he's the type of guy who's eager to learn and develop and by no means has the arrogance to believe he's the finished article and is immune from criticism. He's not going to get it right every time but he'll learn from the errors he does make which will in turn help him to become an even better head coach. Yes, he needs to be questioned when performances and results aren't going our way but any talk of him being under pressure with regards to keeping his job is far too premature, as it was last February, when at the first sign of struggle, some were questioning his suitability for the job. He soon put those fears to bed and given time, I'm sure he'll do it again.

Deano wasn’t my first choice but what a turn around since we’ve had him! So many exciting days and promotion - an amazing feat. A manager that is dedicated to attacking football, home and away, whoever the opponents, brilliant! I can hardly believe that just last Saturday we were on the verge of winning away at Arsenal, less than 12 months after being hammered 4-0 at Sheff U. The killer for us the Villa fans was not the 3-2 defeat at the Emirates. It was the sudden transition from joy to disappointment, the death of hope in the last ten minutes like an an elevator crashing to the ground floor just before you get off.
This is not an easy journey but thanks to Dean and his vision it’s an exciting one, roll on the next game.

THIS

That includes not bottling it and moving out of the way of the ball whilst in the wall.
O
Deano wasn’t my first choice but what a turn around since we’ve had him! So many exciting days and promotion - an amazing feat. A manager that is dedicated to attacking football, home and away, whoever the opponents, brilliant! I can hardly believe that just last Saturday we were on the verge of winning away at Arsenal, less than 12 months after being hammered 4-0 at Sheff U. The killer for us the Villa fans was not the 3-2 defeat at the Emirates. It was the sudden transition from joy to disappointment, the death of hope in the last ten minutes like an an elevator crashing to the ground floor just before you get off.
This is not an easy journey but thanks to Dean and his vision it’s an exciting one, roll on the next game.
I agree, SMITH OUT

Again the other night we hit a lot of shots straight at the keeper, and this seems to be a trend in first 6 league games.

Maybe Smith needs to make sure they get extra shooting practice, i am sure they do anyway but if you look back on the games so far it`s amazing the amount we hit down the middle.

Again the other night we hit a lot of shots straight at the keeper, and this seems to be a trend in first 6 league games.

Maybe Smith needs to make sure they get extra shooting practice, i am sure they do anyway but if you look back on the games so far it`s amazing the amount we hit down the middle.

I noticed that too. There was one from Trez where he was in a great position and hit it straight at the keeper. I put it down to nerves.

Cuts both ways. I think being prepared to pull the trigger is good. There's an alternative which you get with a lot of players, which is thinking too much about shooting, in which case the opportunity has gone.

Maybe it's better to shoot when the opportunity is there, and develop better skills in placing the shot over time.

I have attended an event this evening where DS was the key note speaker. He spoke about changing the culture of the club in the same way as he did at Walsall and Brentford. He talked about support from the top and how they wanted to do things right.
Someone asked him if it was a 'no brainer' to join Villa and he admitted that it was not a foregone conclusion to join us. He wanted to be sure that the club was going in the right direction before he agreed to join and the conversations went well into the night.
I was fairly convinced before listening to him that we have the right man and right owners, but now I am totally convinced that the club is in good hands and that will grow stronger over the next few years.
Dean Smith will take us to great things in the future and his quiet, calm determination is infectious.

I really hope that Dean Smith can take us to the promise land. But this his football. bad results And the owners may not look at him with as much sympathy as we would. Lets face it no prem and they will be 100 mil out of pocket. He just needs better results and he may be here a while

Don't forget omb half the team is new and never played in the premier league. So it's going to take time mate .
So long as we stay up this season all will be good .

If we go down, I want us to keep Smith.
We won't go down. In his presentation last night, he said that it took a while to build 'togetherness' amongst his group of players last season and that once he had that it was inevitable that they would go on the unbeaten run. Once he has this new crop of players working together as a fully cohesive unit, then we will start to pick up results. If you recall it took about 7 or 8 games last season to get a solid system with every player pulling in the same direction, and look where that took us.

I have to be honest here we could have won every game this season we could have lost every game, so I think the points don't quite reflect that. Just need that luck to turn our way and we'll end up mid-table.
That said it probably applies to most teams down the bottom
We are due a 'rub of the green' for sure - perhaps this weekend.
I also met the club doctor last night and I just hoped that he had a quiet weekend!!

Dean smith isn't the issue, the performances from a managerial/tactical point of view are spot on. We've started every game really well, minus obviously Bournemouth (player mistakes).

Problems have been mentality, as people have pointed out above. And it's player mentality, personal mentalities, not team mentality. They think we are the lesser side and so that is reflected in performance, panicking and sitting back when we have the lead. That isn't how Dean coaches them to play and that is evident in their inability to hold on to a lead while playing like that.

The other problem is player quality. We have a lot of championship standard players and Dean has to get premiership performances out of them. Taylor being dropped had a huge effect on performance for the first half against Burnley.

The average age of the last starting 11 was 25 and that includes Tom Heaton at 33 take him out of the equation and it's about 24, I think I read a few years ago most top side the average is 27 perhaps we need just a couple of experienced 30-year-olds in there to quell some of that youthful exuberance?
On the other hand, we are not starting any under 21 players so we are not a team of kids.
I'm starting to get into meaningless stats here aren't I

The average age of the last starting 11 was 25 and that includes Tom Heaton at 33 take him out of the equation and it's about 24, I think I read a few years ago most top side the average is 27 perhaps we need just a couple of experienced 30-year-olds in there to quell some of that youthful exuberance?
On the other hand, we are not starting any under 21 players so we are not a team of kids.

Yes.

Cuts both ways. I think being prepared to pull the trigger is good. There's an alternative which you get with a lot of players, which is thinking too much about shooting, in which case the opportunity has gone.

Maybe it's better to shoot when the opportunity is there, and develop better skills in placing the shot over time.

Agree, get it on target and even if it’s soft there’s always a chance the keeper will fluff it.

You see some players try and do too much when the shoot. SJM will always try and hit the target, you could argue he sometimes hits it too centrally at the goal. JG though you never know what you’re going to get.

JG is a talented football technically, but his shooting needs a lot of work IMO

Agree, get it on target and even if it’s soft there’s always a chance the keeper will fluff it.

You see some players try and do too much when the shoot. SJM will always try and hit the target, you could argue he sometimes hits it too centrally at the goal. JG though you never know what you’re going to get.

JG is a talented football technically, but his shooting needs a lot of work IMO

Grealish generally tends to try to curl it into the corners. I doubt he's ever going to get more than 5 or 6 a year but they will probably all be goal of the month contenders. If he could improve he could easily get into double figures as he gets in some great positions.

Nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind on Smith. He's the man for us for the next few years at least. Even if we go down. He over achieved last season as far as I'm concerned and has had to make massive changes to the squad.

I think we'll stay up but should the worst happen then we need to stick with him and let him try to bring us back.

Yep, Jack's biggest problem is his final finish or pass is a bit shall I say lax for someone who has the best balance and ball control I've seen in a Villa shirt since Brian little.
He does the hard things and makes them look easy but when faced with a shooting chance seems to panic and either try and curl it or as he did against Burnley just blast it over the bar. Strange how he is the most composed football but panics when shooting, there are times when he could actually walk it in he's that good but he shoots just the right height for the keeper.
I suppose if he sorted it out we wouldn't have him for long.

Dean needs to get him shooting in training, ban him from running with it

Status
Not open for further replies.