The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 31417
Dean Smith answers his critics at his post match press conference.
Is this the Dean Smith you praised for being 'like a breath of fresh air' and twice comparing him to Ron Saunders earlier in the thread Fulford? Now taking the piss just ten weeks later? Some posters who are questioning him at present were unsure when he was appointed, now they're even more unsure which is fair enough even though I don't necessarily agree with them. At least they're not changing their tune and doing a complete u turn unlike some. Ron Saunders to Norman Collier in ten weeks........! What a turnaround! 'Fickle' is an apt word for some!

Is this the Dean Smith you praised for being 'like a breath of fresh air' and twice comparing him to Ron Saunders earlier in the thread Fulford? Now taking the piss just ten weeks later? Some posters who are questioning him at present were unsure when he was appointed, now they're even more unsure which is fair enough even though I don't necessarily agree with them. At least they're not changing their tune and doing a complete u turn unlike some. Ron Saunders to Norman Collier in ten weeks........! What a turnaround! 'Fickle' is an apt word for some!

And it's a good job that there wasn't a forum like this in 1978 and 1979 when Saunders was building the championship winning side. Some would have wanted Saunders out during those seasons I am sure.

And some are just extremely disappointed after a promising start that the wheels have fallen off completely with no signs that there is a plan b.

yep and some are hankering after their hero 4 promotions Mr Bruce who was given far more time than Smith and he never even had a plan A

Yes . Quite correct to point out Langoe. There are a few who to be fair were questioning then and are so now.

So how much time do we give Deano then? I cant see an end to this dismal run at the minute so if it gets to 20 games without a win and still no change in approach do we still sit tight and let him have another go next season?
I'm not personally calling for his head just yet either.

I worry what we are seeing with Smith is the same as what we saw with Sherwood.

Yes. So we sacked Sherwood and got Garde in . And then we saw the same so we sacked Garde and Eric Black took over. And then we saw the same so he didn't get the gig. So we got DI Matteo in and we saw the same so we sacked him and got Bruce in. And then we saw the same so we sacked Bruce and got Smith in......

Boring init.

So how much time do we give Deano then? I cant see an end to this dismal run at the minute so if it gets to 20 games without a win and still no change in approach do we still sit tight and let him have another go next season?
Hopefully it won't come to that, once super Jack and Baresi are back we should be ok.
What use can we make of the rest of this season? It has to be a sort of pre-season to next season . My hopes -
1. Avoid defeat at Trillion Trophy Sty shit house. I'd take a draw.
2. Once we've got the smurf game out the way - blood some of the kids at the expense of players nearing the end of a contract and loanees.
3. Extend the Luke deal.
4. Start offering some really attractive early bird ST prices for 19/20 season

We give him at least the time we gave Bruce, don't forget we had runs under Bruce like this then we'd win a few and just as we thought he'd cracked it the cycle starts again

Hopefully it won't come to that, once super Jack and Baresi are back we should be ok.
What use can we make of the rest of this season? It has to be a sort of pre-season to next season . My hopes -
1. Avoid defeat at Trillion Trophy Sty shit house. I'd take a draw.
2. Once we've got the smurf game out the way - blood some of the kids at the expense of players nearing the end of a contract and loanees.
3. Extend the Luke deal.
4. Start offering some really attractive early bird ST prices for 19/20 season

Our best kids are out on loan but I'd give Davis and Ramsey a go along with Green

Yes. So we sacked Sherwood and got Garde in . And then we saw the same so we sacked Garde and Eric Black took over. And then we saw the same so he didn't get the gig. So we got DI Matteo in and we saw the same so we sacked him and got Bruce in. And then we saw the same so we sacked Bruce and got Smith in......

Boring init.

:rofl:

Boring init.

The way the previous owners acted doesn’t mean Smith shouldn’t be under some scrutiny and also pressure.

You are right tho that list of managers is frightening.

A lot will depend on what funds/players Smith gets and how the current owners and set up support him.

I just worry the wheels are well and truly off at the moment.

The way the previous owners acted doesn’t mean Smith shouldn’t be under some scrutiny and also pressure.

You are right tho that list of managers is frightening.

A lot will depend on what funds/players Smith gets and how the current owners and set up support him.

I just worry the wheels are well and truly off at the moment.

All managers are under scrutiny. I was surprised more questions weren't asked of Bruce, but then I didn't know the state the club was in. The new owners set out to do a total revamp of the club, and Smith was appointed as he fitted their ideas of the sort of team needed and how to get it. Don't think results this season matter too much to them, although they'll ask if he's managing in the way they hoped. At the end of the season.

Wouldn't say the wheels have come off, more going through a muddy patch. 4 losses in 14 games isn't that bad. Smith gets accused of not changing the team but the fact he's started Green and introduced Ramsey gets ignored.

yep and some are hankering after their hero 4 promotions Mr Bruce who was given far more time than Smith and he never even had a plan A
Not seen anyone supporting a Bruce option tbh. He lost it in the summer turmoil and the subsequent terrible transfer window. Personally I want every manager to succeed and was very pleased with DS start which makes the last twelve games so alarming.

Doyle-Hayes is on loan at Cambridge with RHM.
Oh. Didn't realise.
Well whoever we have at u23 still here playing LB needs a run
Any wingers left in the u23's or CB's . Get them on the bench at least .
Literally no point after smurf game playing those who will leave this summer , that includes Tammy

I don't read much of the official site or the Mail, so I miss most interviews our managers give except snippets I read on here.

DS for me needs to do himself a favour and come out and say what his strategy is. I'm fine it its one whereby he thinks he needs to establish his formation and style of play, and he's testing the players out - if they can't stomach it then they're moved on. It's what Pep did at City and takes time. Unfortunately most managers aren't given the luxury of time, but we've got 3 months of meaningless games really so he has time to plan for summer. This is my assumption (hope) of what he's doing.

If DS is relatively happy with the current squad, then it's worrying he persists with this 4-1-4-1 formation which clearly doesn't work or suit most - if not all the players. It only suits Jack - in terms of giving him more licence to get forward, although it arguably suits some of our weaker central midfielders with the extra body. Every other formation, 3-5-2, 4-3-3 (true 4-3-3) or a 4-4-2 would all work better for us - or at least couldn't be any worse than this nothing 4-1-4-1.

The 2nd thing that's occurred to me tonight is the role of JT next season - if any. We've conceded by far and away the most goals in the top half, and you have to get to the bottom three to find more goals against. A winner on the field and someone who wants to establish himself as a top coach, surely won't want a record whereby his role has a shocking goals against statistic? I don't know the mood in the dugout, but I don't see much of JT. I think he's a pretty respectful guy in that regard but he also has integrity and if he doesn't believe in the project I can't see why he'd stay.

The DS style completely contradicts everything JT stood for on the pitch and also when he talks about managers and Mourinho being his number one coach then you can assume they have a different mentality. I think it was 57 who posted in the match thread that JT was known for lieing deep at Chelsea, which I also thought he did here with a straight back 4 line and wingers who needed to be goalside. You could see the JT influence on the pitch.

This season, we don't have the discipline to defend for 60-70 mins keeping clean sheets nor do we seem to currently have the attacking ability to be able to score 3 if the opposition score 2. The chances we have been creating recently is shocking and it won't change until JG get's back up to fitness.

I hope and pray that DS turns us around, I'm in full support but I want reassurance that he recognises it's currently poor (and that's being generous) and that things will change. We as fans need to understand and buy into the project.

When MON was appointed we went 9 games unbeaten and then won 4 out of the next 22. Sometimes sticking with a manager works!

Status
Not open for further replies.