The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he's said he's looking for perfection. That's what drives Guardiola so it must be OK!

Think he's right as well. We've made good progress under him but to become a comfortable PL side we've got some way to go.

There were periods today where we made too many loose passes and let Blues back into the game. On the other hand, for a lot of the time we were on top, retained possession and made Blues chase us. Blues were the more knackered at the end. Good tactics.
I have just watched the whole game again having come back and you are right we were rarely in trouble and dominated the whole thing pretty much. This just shows how much we come on the last couple of months under Smiths tutelage. However I have been advised if I watch Alan Huttons goal again I may get a divorce

I agree with a lot of comments above, playing the DS way and the players buying into it.

Today we played like the Brentford teams which tore us apart twice at Griffin Park.

Under Bruce we were quite a rigid 4-5-1, it was a very fixed structure.

Under DS it’s much more fluid. When Whelan was dropping deep, it freed up space for Hourihane, Grealish, Tammy or Kodjia. It could’ve been any of the midfield or strikers exploiting the space. If the ball was with Chester, he’d move into the space with the ball, Whelan would drop deep and work the ball to our ball carriers.

Taylor was much more fluid in the width of his play, he was wide when we had the ball but came narrow when we didn’t.

And the one thing that many of us on on VV have been saying for god knows how long - you get Grealish out of a fixed midfield and look what he does. He’ll get one goal or assist every other game in this type of formation.

We didn’t have McGinniesta today and still looked like Barcelona at times.

Whelan played well today, but to think if we get a modern day holding player (footballer not tackler) like Woods, we’d have a near complete midfield and forward squad.

Love that we had just won the local derby and while he was obviously happy he knew that it wasn't exactly good enough.

I maybe wrong but I don't think we will get an after the Lord mayor's show (like after wolves) performance against Forest on weds.

Love that we had just won the local derby and while he was obviously happy he knew that it wasn't exactly good enough.

I maybe wrong but I don't think we will get an after the Lord mayor's show (like after wolves) performance against Forest on weds.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Our performances may vary but I don't think we'll get the run of dross we had so often under Bruce.

The players look so happy going out there and playing proper football. A huge difference. Don't think they'll let it slip back.

I love his post match interviews. You feel like you learn something when listening to him speak about the game.

JT must be loving his role there.

He sounds like he really really studies the game and does his preparation meticulously. I'm sure all managers do but Smith comes across better .

Deano impresses me with every passing week. Calm, measured and tactically switched on. After match comments reflect what we've all seen which makes a refreshing change. To see him waiting to congratulate every player coming off the pitch at the end already suggests a strong bond is starting to develop and players are clearly buying into the changes he and the rest of his coaching staff are trying to implement. For me, the most impressive start by a new manager/head coach for a very long time.

He sounds like he really really studies the game and does his preparation meticulously. I'm sure all managers do but Smith comes across better .

I said after the Derby game, I bet DS is sat there watching videos of the blues over the international break whereas Bruce would’ve been on the golf course for a week.

You can just tell that DS lives and breathes it.

The man seems to have a lot of class about him. As a manager. A coach. And as a person. Good luck to him.

74% possession today says it all to me, it’s very clear where his influences are coming from and he’s even said it himself recently. So far I genuinely enjoy watching us play again under him, long may it continue.

Whelan played well today, but to think if we get a modern day holding player (footballer not tackler) like Woods, we’d have a near complete midfield and forward squad.

The sooner he is out the better tho, the only thing I like about Whelan is he is a bit of a prick on the pitch and gives others a kick up the arse. The second goal came from his poor decision making today.

Love the way he looks at things the same way I do, yes we won but there is still a lot we can do better, he strives for continuous improvement which should be a given but often isn't.

My tuppence worth - we have to look at his achievements in the light of 6 games, we may have lost 2 away games against form teams, but even they were marginal. DS has achieved this with the glaring holes in the existing squad and a James Chester look-a-like filling in at the back.

When Bruce said "who is out there who is better than me" I reeled off a long list in my head (still can't believe the arrogance of the guy). One of the names was Dean Smith. Thankfully the early signs are that he is overachieving given the squad he inherited. I dread to think what will be possible once he is able to get his reinforcements come January.

We now know he is an excellent coach, but can he build a side? Only time will tell but the early signs are encouraging. I believe that all of our squad are good enough for the EFL, not the best, good enough. I really want us to dominate after Xmas and one or two quality players will allow us to do that.

Enjoyed the win respect manager working with the players he has got early days hope we can be as magnanimous when we lose now and again it will happen but if we continue to play this sort of football at least we will be entertained and it has been many years odd games apart since I could say that.Never liked derby games if you lose its Armageddon for while if you win and put to much in you get punished in this league due to how the games come thick and fast,wonder if Smithy will be tempted to rest one or two and give say O hare and Jedinak a run out.

From the club site regarding El Ghazi.

Coaching eh?. What a good idea!

'Smith admitted in his post-match media duties at the Riverside Stadium that he’d spent some quality time with El Ghazi at the training ground, showing him exactly what he’s looking for from players in the wide areas.
El Ghazi has clearly taken that on board. His performance at Middlesbrough was top-class'

Status
Not open for further replies.