The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 66 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said at the time i wanted him or the man that went to Southampton. Its worked out even better than i hoped for. The future is really exciting after many years of sorrow.

The appointment of head coach Dean Smith at Aston Villa as Steve Bruce’s replacement certainly saw plenty of eyebrows raised amongst the fans.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...fans-over-but-for-some-it-was-never-in-doubt/
I wanted him even before Bruce was sacked. He ticks all of the boxes and I see good things in the future. I have never been this optimistic about a manager since Ron Saunders. We have had Taylor, BFR, Gregory and Little since the appointment of Saunders but I always knew that there would not be a 'dynasty' for the club. If only the Chairman had not done the dirty on Saunders we could have challenged for honours for years.
Dean Smith is the perfect fit and knows how to manage. I think the time when it all really clicked for me was when he was standing alone in the tunnel area at the Sty away from all the build up to the game - just standing there with a determination on his face. He is not averse to cutting comments like "15,000 cheering him on" after the Mitchell incident. He does not want to move, the owners are backing him, the fans will give him time and this year will be consolidation and then push on next year. The only worry is that when he is successful, and he will be, the FA will come calling for the England job. Would he be able to turn it down?
A humble family man who really wants to succeed for them - just a pity that his dad is not able to be at Villa Park to see what he helped to develop by taking his boy to the 'home of league football'.

I was very sceptical about DS appointment ,but I'm delighted to be proved wrong. He has transformed the club with the new owners and I'm 100% behind him. This season will be hard but whatever happens we have to keep DS he is our future.

Still think he's rubbish. SMITH OUT!
There was an old boy that used to stand on the Holte by me and my mates during the 70's and the only comment you got from him during the 90 minutes was "rubbish". One of my mates got fed up with this during one game and challenged him by saying that "you seem to know a lot about rubbish - do you work as a dustman" It didn't deter him and he was at the next home game shouting "rubbish".???

There was an old boy that used to stand on the Holte by me and my mates during the 70's and the only comment you got from him during the 90 minutes was "rubbish". One of my mates got fed up with this during one game and challenged him by saying that "you seem to know a lot about rubbish - do you work as a dustman" It didn't deter him and he was at the next home game shouting "rubbish".???
He wasn't a thin bloke with long straggly hair and a sour looking face was he?

He wasn't a thin bloke with long straggly hair and a sour looking face was he?
I'm in my 60s now and 1970 was a long time ago!! The image of the guy has faded but the quote from my mate is still quite clear in my mind!!
Is the guy you describe, someone that you know by any chance??

I'm in my 60s now and 1970 was a long time ago!! The image of the guy has faded but the quote from my mate is still quite clear in my mind!!
Is the guy you describe, someone that you know by any chance??
No it was just when I was a nipper going with my uncle in the early seventies there was a bloke by us that was never happy always moaning saying were rubbish me and my cousin used to laugh at him and that's his description.

I used to stand in the same place on the Holte for every game and a bloke who always stood near me always used to say you're a waster Mortimore in a wurtzel accent every time our glorious captain touched the ball.

Didn't know a lot about DS but was impressed by some of the comments about him. Wondered if the bosses would go for a big name but when they went for him and by what they said at the time I decided they knew what they were doing and he was worth backing.

Never really looked back. The change brought about by top level coaching, overall approach and tactical nous was pretty quick. The contrast with Bruce showed how far we'd been let down. Kept the faith throughout the slump; slumps happen, but also it takes time to get to a standard and then keep it consistently.

He's a natural manager. He can laugh and joke with his assistants and the players, but there's never any doubt as to who's boss. I think they trust him and respect him. He's got a dressing room in high spirits. The future is bright.

There is a clear plan in place and I'm excited that we will pull 40000 against Swansea and take this league by storm, everyone else is shitting themselves that we will get our act together and start throwing our weight around, come on villa. Smash em.
✌️

When I read this positive comment it immediately reminded me how completely different Deans attitude is to Steve Bruce's and that's why in time, you always get found out Steve.

Bravo Deano:clap:
From watching Steve Bruce sitting in the sun and giving us his best Guyana Jim Jones impersonation to 12 months on having the owners, management and players we have now, an astonishing turn around and we should all be truly grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.