The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 65 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wot I like is the confidence and the natural air of authority which goes with it. He can joke with the lads, have a beer with them, but nobody is any doubt who is the boss. Makes dealing with them a whole lot easier. Nice bloke, but don't underestimate the toughness underneath.

Or tries to get Heskey out of retirement.

AAARGH, don't even say that. Never in my worst nightmares did I ever think that big lump would soil the claret and blue but Mon knew better. Martin Laursen actually has a better strike rate for Villa than than useless cart horse.

I've watched Dean Smith's Villa appointment last October with great interest, when Steve Bruce was sacked I initially thought that his appointment was the wrong one driven more by emotion from the Villa fan base as opposed to getting us back into the Premier League.

However it wasn't long after listening to him and his interviews and the opinions of several other Brentford fans that I realised that actually, he probably is the right choice, and not because he is a Villa fan.

I think Dean Smith reads a lot of books about operational management.

When you listen to Dean Smith speak, pay attention...he never talks about 'talented individuals' or 'natural ability' he talks about the teams ability to work hard, put in the effort, and to be willing to take on new ideas. After the playoff finals, he referred to the players as 'sponges' absorbing new ideas and executing on those ideas themselves, and his quote 'be a good team mate' is pretty much lifted from a book called 'Team of Teams' by a US General who talks about how they were being schooled by Al Qaeda in the occupation of Iraq and how the army had to turn it around.

I always wondered why Dean Smith's Brentford team could always beat a team of better individuals managed by Steve Bruce, now it's obvious, it's because he was able to build a team that was able to think on their own feet and adapt, whereas back then we were a team which was purely about doing 'what the manager told them'. It's clear to me now that he's trying to do the same here, build a team that can be agile and adapt in games to win them, 'they always find new ways to win'. It's also why he's getting them to do their own debriefs, he wants them to work on their own initiative.

I think Dean Smith will be able to adapt to the next level up, he's put a focus on learning, which will put him in good stead. The only problem I have a concern about is that he has long periods where he doesn't win, and I worry whether or not NSWE will stick by him in those times, but I guess we'll find that out in time.

I think this summers recruitment will not be star names on big salaries, I think Smith will favour players who are intelligent and hungry and willing to learn, even if they aren't the best footballing talents out there, I think he doesn't want players who rely on their skills, he wants players who want to develop themselves.

I'm excited about the summer, and really intrigued as to how things will play out. But for now, thank you Dean Smith for giving us our club back!

I've watched Dean Smith's Villa appointment last October with great interest, when Steve Bruce was sacked I initially thought that his appointment was the wrong one driven more by emotion from the Villa fan base as opposed to getting us back into the Premier League.

However it wasn't long after listening to him and his interviews and the opinions of several other Brentford fans that I realised that actually, he probably is the right choice, and not because he is a Villa fan.

When you listen to Dean Smith speak, pay attention...he never talks about 'talented individuals' or 'natural ability' he talks about the teams ability to work hard, put in the effort, and to be willing to take on new ideas. After the playoff finals, he referred to the players as 'sponges' absorbing new ideas and executing on those ideas themselves, and his quote 'be a good team mate' is pretty much lifted from a book called 'Team of Teams' by a US General who talks about how they were being schooled by Al Qaeda in the occupation of Iraq and how the army had to turn it around.

I always wondered why Dean Smith's Brentford team could always beat a team of better individuals managed by Steve Bruce, now it's obvious, it's because he was able to build a team that was able to think on their own feet and adapt, whereas back then we were a team which was purely about doing 'what the manager told them'. It's clear to me now that he's trying to do the same here, build a team that can be agile and adapt in games to win them, 'they always find new ways to win'. It's also why he's getting them to do their own debriefs, he wants them to work on their own initiative.

I think Dean Smith will be able to adapt to the next level up, he's put a focus on learning, which will put him in good stead. The only problem I have a concern about is that he has long periods where he doesn't win, and I worry whether or not NSWE will stick by him in those times, but I guess we'll find that out in time.

I think this summers recruitment will not be star names on big salaries, I think Smith will favour players who are intelligent and hungry and willing to learn, even if they aren't the best footballing talents out there, I think he doesn't want players who rely on their skills, he wants players who want to develop themselves.

I'm excited about the summer, and really intrigued as to how things will play out. But for now, thank you Dean Smith for giving us our club back!

Great post, AB. Totally sums up the situation and really positive going into the new season :clap:

The only thing I slightly disagree with is that these owners could be swayed by the fanbase reference the appointment of a new manager. But that is easy to see with hindsight. What we finally have is a professional setup throughout the club. Hallelujah!!

Spot on. That's the reason the team is able to pick themselves up and snatch back the initiative when they need to.

Purslow brought him in because of they way Deano plays the game , the fact he's a Villa fan was a massive bonus as he already "Got it" . No doubt him being a Villa fan drew attention to him just like Joe Lolley . We really know nothing about Lolley but because he's a Villa Fan every single one of us has had a look at him and the same with Deano. Terry came in to pacify the fans who wanted a name and also so the players would think if JT is happy to work for this guy so are we.

That's my take on it and I wanted Dean Smith way before it was apparent that Bruce was not the man

I hate to make any sort of comparison but there is a similarity to Ferguson, nearly everyone Fergie signed improved immensely under him and many were players who wanted to improve. Ronaldo was a diamond in the rough and you can only give so much credit to Ferguson but he did become a different player under Ferguson.

You'd easily name 10 players who significantly improved under DS including players we all had wrote off in some capacity. Now its not all rosey and I don't blame him for this but he got little out of Adomah who I am sure did give 110%. We can't kid ourselves thinking he can do it with everyone but I am really in dreamland about the next few years.

I enjoyed the Tifo Football video about Game Theory and I think its the plan for us (I believe it was posted by somewhere here before). Slow deliberate improvement rather than going for broke or as I like to to say evolution over revolution. I think if we have a good solid team who believe in the manager it will be easier to bring in the one or two bigger names and talents who will propel us to the next level because they won't control the dressing room.

Excellent post AB. I think a fair few of us old dinosaurs look at Deano and see parallels with the great Ron Saunders.

A bloke who could pick up unknown players or take journeyman and turn them into an excellent team.

Excellent post AB. I think a fair few of us old dinosaurs look at Deano and see parallels with the great Ron Saunders.

A bloke who could pick up unknown players or take journeyman and turn them into an excellent team.
Clough's teams were never star studded. He seemed to manage ok.

You've really got to hand it to Smudge haven't you?

Not only is he going to turn Villa into a top 6 team within 3 years, he is also doing a fantastic job of demolishing Small Heath.

Gives them Gardner for Jota
Monk gets the hump and walks
buys Targett and gives Saints the money to take Adams from them.

I'm sure he must have told Grealish to call that Blues arse hole a twat to encourage him onto the pitch at the Sty with a view to them getting a further points deduction.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.