The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 515 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he loves the club he'll try his utmost to turn it around, which I believe he is. He then has to think about his family and future and thus protect himself with his compensation.

Expecting him to resign because you badly want him gone and smuggling that into some sort of value judgement about his character is silly.
He can sit down with the CEO and work out his compensation. Stop being naive and silly. The 2021 form is diabolical and he needs to go asap

Is Dean better than Eddie Howe? I think he is but that is the level that will jump at Aston Villa as a bottom 6 club because that is what we are like it or not we aren't getting into Europe unless there's a fucking war over fishing.

This is what worries me there's Nuno and Bruce with any sort of previous, so sacking Dean without a plan to move forwards is chucking your job before you have another one lined up . Not a good idea

Is Dean better than Eddie Howe? I think he is but that is the level that will jump at Aston Villa as a bottom 6 club because that is what we are like it or not we aren't getting into Europe unless there's a fucking war over fishing.

This is what worries me there's Nuno and Bruce with any sort of previous, so sacking Dean without a plan to move forwards is chucking your job before you have another one lined up . Not a good idea

Exactly what we said in the car going home last night. If Deano goes then another manager has to be lined up and ready to go. No fannying around with a caretaker one while you trawl round looking for someone.

If he loves the club he'll try his utmost to turn it around, which I believe he is. He then has to think about his family and future and thus protect himself with his compensation.

Expecting him to resign because you badly want him gone and smuggling that into some sort of value judgement about his character is silly.

:clap:

Exactly what we said in the car going home last night. If Deano goes then another manager has to be lined up and ready to go. No fannying around with a caretaker one while you trawl round looking for someone.
Newcastle have been a joke, all that money and they land Eddie Howe, so who would we end up with.

I'd argue against that. I think the support in the general fanbase, here, social media (not so sure, I am avoiding these days) and at games is very generous towards Dean Smith.

As usual, there are some who have never taken to a manager, that always happens (me with Lambert is one example for myself) but I think the support he has had, some of it well deserved, has been very high.

But you look at this and same as you, I'm not out out out, I'm not in in in, but you have to wonder.

View attachment 53046

I check out the twitterati vibe every now and again and it seemed to turn very heavily against DS a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't anything like that a month ago.

The problem with the "one of us" back-slapping support is that you inevitably end up with Gabby running the team rather than a top, experienced, professional manager.

These things always end up polarised - "one of us" can very quickly turn into "local, inexperienced, chancer more concerned with his golf game and what's turning his nose red than what's happening on the pitch", in the eyes of the working class masses at least, and that's a problem.

The 2021 form is something I've mentioned before but there's more to it than just that stat.

We can all play the mitigating circumstances card re Grealish going but the reality is that we had insight into how that would be early in the year when he was out for half a dozen games and we crumbled.

Buying players to help replace his influence ***and who would fit into the current team/squad*** shouldn't have been that much of a challenge having seen how badly it went without him during that period and having worked with the squad for three years already.

Interrupted pre-season, international games etc, all taken on-board in mitigation but we're officially the worst team in the PL both before and after those buys and we've dropped >£300m on it now.

I actually like the three players we bought, Buendia, Ings & Bailey - the first two are undeniably proven at this level ***in the right team/style of play***. Bailey was always going to be a wild card but we've seen what he's capable of, same with Buendia in fleeting moments but no player is going to look good under these disorganised, non-team circumstances.

Teams are built by linking complementary parts together on the pitch whilst managing games as they're happening - DS appears to be unable to do any of that. We must have round pegs in round holes all over the pitch and someone capable of realising that it's going wrong 15 minutes into a game, not after 75 minutes, and capable of doing something effective about it there and then.

An acceptable level of mitigation for me would be mid-table but we're plummeting. Ultimately, we're three years into this, we've dropped an enormous sum of money and we're destined for the Championship again for sure.

That can't be allowed to stand, DS and/or Purslow have to swing for it and very soon.

It won't change until Dean goes, it really is as simple as that for me.

It will be more of the same, more excuses, more good 20 minutes the rest rubbish more shapeless football, more weird subs etc in fact I could on and on but basically, it's everything that's wrong with his management skills (or lack of them) and so it will remain until he leaves.

My concern is how friendly is he with our CEO and owners and would loyalty towards him make them blind to his disorganised football?

I sincerely hope not and I hope he can leave ASAP with his head held high knowing he did his best but it simply wasn't good enough.

Loving the club means nothing, you live in a dream land on this . I love the club but fcuk walking away from a few million by quitting. Matters not if he is set for the rest of his life either. And anyone on here I will gladly call a liar if they say they would let a few million quid slide for the 'love' of the club. I love my family and their security for generations more as I'm sure you do with yours.
Also, if you love the club you would surely believe that you were the only person to put it right. I doubt any of us would wilfully walk away from our dream job in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.