The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 493 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not around where I sit in the upper Holte tbh. Frustrated yes but not necessarily wanting him gone immediately. Social media is full of ‘Smith must go‘ but a bit like politics, I don’t think it‘s a true reflection. Jeremy Corbyn would be PM now if you’d believed Twitter on the last Election Day! How many on here think he should go now? Don’t think it would be anywhere near 80/20 in favour. Lose the next 2/3 and I guess it would be.
Granted most of it could’ve been anger, but there wasn’t much support for him after the game.

As regards any replacement manager should the board decide to make a change then personally, I wouldn't believe anything the press say.

They keep their cards so close to their chest at the club even the local press haven't got a clue and hear nothing until something happens.

Still, it's always funny to see the gossip from all the usual rags and the hacks pretending to be in the know:lol:

Daily Fail suggest we have sounded out Paulo Fonseca…

Can't say I believe this one bit. Its possible that the owners might be sounding out potential replacements but this bloke has been linked to us before after Bruce got the bin.

Just like transfer links that crop up again and again I don't believe this. This guy will be linked again when whoever replaces Smith is having a bad patch.

Morning all.
So yesterday I asked a question and never got an answer, apart from a barrage of ‘If he goes who replaces him’ requests

So I’ll try again, the slide that we’ve been witnessing, which as been ongoing since January seems to be unabated if I’m honest.

It’s all ready been mentioned that we’ve only amassed 39pts from 34 games, but it’s this season that’s the most telling for me, 10pts from 30, 6 defeats from 10, and in those 10 games only Chelsea are of the quality that you’d think we’d struggle against, shipping 2 goals a game on average, and 50% of those games have been defeats where the opposition have scored 3 or more.

We’re now on the back of 4 straight defeats, and languishing in the bottom quarter with an away trip to Southampton who have lost only 2 this season.

I understand that DS is a Villa fan and he’s also a nice guy, I also understand the sentiment that some want him to get us out of this.

So my question….. How much time is appropriate considering all of the above, and please take into consideration that even the worse managers can get the odd victory, so if we get 3pts on Friday does that level the playing field out again, or do we really expect better from a manager in his 4th season with a £300m spend under his belt who still seems unable to find his favoured formation.

I’d agree with much of what you say eltoro and the stats you provide are compelling and persuasive. Perhaps Smith is failing to get the best out of an excellent squad but I would also question the make up of that squad. We’ve stockpiled wingers but ignored a weakness in midfield in my opinion. The ease with which opposition teams cruise through our midfield and down our flanks suggests a shortcoming in the centre of our team. Full backs or wingbacks isolated against attacking players betrays either a lack of organisation, a lack of tactical awareness or a shortfall in quality in midfield. The midfield is the engine room, to employ a cliche, and ours is firing on only one cylinder and that is when McGinn is on song.
Just my view and many will disagree.

or do we really expect better from a manager in his 4th season with a £300m spend under his belt who still seems unable to find his favoured formation.

That's the bit that makes me worry. Arguably our best player is McGinn who was here before Smith. We are waiting for the kids? None of them signed by DS. So what is the result of the £300m?

However if the pressure is on DS, then why does Lange get a 'get out of jail free' card? The squad is unbalanced with more wingers, who don't get picked, than central midfielders where our main weakness is. And we don't have a pattern of play, are so slow its embarrassing and lack creativity all over the pitch.

To answer your question, I think a disaster on Friday and he is gone, due to the availability of a 2 week pause. Any other result and he stays until we stop averaging a goal or more a game over a 3 game period. Even our stato's can monitor that one, but I also wonder what more they add?

So my question….. How much time is appropriate considering all of the above, and please take into consideration that even the worse managers can get the odd victory, so if we get 3pts on Friday does that level the playing field out again, or do we really expect better from a manager in his 4th season with a £300m spend under his belt who still seems unable to find his favoured formation.
How long is a piece of string, but a decent run of games with a mostly fit squad to pick from to show that performances are improving.

I think a good performance and an unlucky draw on Friday is a better result than a stuffy win, although a win would get some people off his back.

Morning all.
So yesterday I asked a question and never got an answer, apart from a barrage of ‘If he goes who replaces him’ requests

So I’ll try again, the slide that we’ve been witnessing, which as been ongoing since January seems to be unabated if I’m honest.

It’s all ready been mentioned that we’ve only amassed 39pts from 34 games, but it’s this season that’s the most telling for me, 10pts from 30, 6 defeats from 10, and in those 10 games only Chelsea are of the quality that you’d think we’d struggle against, shipping 2 goals a game on average, and 50% of those games have been defeats where the opposition have scored 3 or more.

We’re now on the back of 4 straight defeats, and languishing in the bottom quarter with an away trip to Southampton who have lost only 2 this season.

I understand that DS is a Villa fan and he’s also a nice guy, I also understand the sentiment that some want him to get us out of this.

Nicely argued, have front paged: https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-isnt-if-it-is-when-for-this-aston-villa-fan/

That's the bit that makes me worry. Arguably our best player is McGinn who was here before Smith. We are waiting for the kids? None of them signed by DS. So what is the result of the £300m?

However if the pressure is on DS, then why does Lange get a 'get out of jail free' card? The squad is unbalanced with more wingers, who don't get picked, than central midfielders where our main weakness is. And we don't have a pattern of play, are so slow its embarrassing and lack creativity all over the pitch.

To answer your question, I think a disaster on Friday and he is gone, due to the availability of a 2 week pause. Any other result and he stays until we stop averaging a goal or more a game over a 3 game period. Even our stato's can monitor that one, but I also wonder what more they add?
The thing is, I don’t believe for 1 minute that DS has no input regarding who comes in, I’m sure others are involved but so is Dean, And if we’re honest the signings of Watkins, Konsa, And Cash all point to a manger who plied their trade in the lower leagues, I’m not knocking those signings by any means, I just find it a bit far fetched that some on here believe he as zero input.

The ease with which opposition teams cruise through our midfield and down our flanks suggests a shortcoming in the centre of our team. Full backs or wingbacks isolated against attacking players betrays either a lack of organisation, a lack of tactical awareness or a shortfall in quality in midfield. The midfield is the engine room, to employ a cliche, and ours is firing on only one cylinder and that is when McGinn is on song.
Just my view and many will disagree.
I know I keep being mocked for saying it but the one thing that explains everything is a lack of fitness in enough key players up front and midfield. Low energy equals less pressure on the ball equals easy long plays through our midfield. The way we've been trying to play since Dean came in relies massively on intensity, pressure and energy pushing opposition players back towards their own goal and no time or space to pick long passes or long dribbles up the pitch. If you're forced to play half-fit players or players recovering from illness in every single team then things start to come apart pretty easily. No back four survives no pressure on the ball ahead of them for long.

The thing is, I don’t believe for 1 minute that DS has no input regarding who comes in, I’m sure others are involved but so is Dean, And if we’re honest the signings of Watkins, Konsa, And Cash all point to a manger who plied their trade in the lower leagues, I’m not knocking those signings by any means, I just find it a bit far fetched that some on here believe he as zero input.

This argument of innocence with regard to transfers has been going on since day one mate. Every time Dean is under pressure then the same tropes about the players not being good enough, and being nothing to do with Dean get trotted out.

When we win then they're labelled tremendous talents and well done to Dean for bringing them in to the club and improving them, and when we lose they are cack, not good enough and shame on Suso/ Lange etc for their recruitment and not giving Dean the tools to do his job. Same tune for 3 fucking years...

What we should do is get Dean to mention to the players they might end up with a Bieslabub who would run them into the ground inside two years.
They might start to think Villa isn't so bad a place to be.

It's a tough season for Dean and I can understand the feeling because JG ditching the "project" along with Terry must have deflated Dean and the players as much as it's deflated the fans.
I know some will spin it that we are stronger but we bloody well aren't and it's gutted me, so I suspect the players and staff feel the same .
Dean looked a broken man in the summer

Comes as no surprise to me as his only plan of pass it to Jack came to a sudden end.

This argument of innocence with regard to transfers has been going on since day one mate. Every time Dean is under pressure then the same tropes about the players not being good enough, and being nothing to do with Dean get trotted out.

When we win then they're labelled tremendous talents and well done to Dean for bringing them in to the club and improving them, and when we lose they are cack, not good enough and shame on Suso/ Lange etc for their recruitment and not giving Dean the tools to do his job. Same tune for 3 fucking years...
It’s sad that Dean is failing it really is, but saying it’s not is fault is a strange one, at the end of the day, I myself can only deal in the present, unlike some who are dealing in hope more than anything.

Last edited:
Morning all.

My view is that Villa should be given a break this season to organize a few practice matches which we did not get enough of in preseason so that we cannot use that to justify keeping him in the job longer. #clutching at straws

If we go down it will be worse than last time mate, no Jack to pull us out the shit.
I agree - if, God forbid, we went down the rebuild would be of biblical proportions as all of our decent players would be off and we would be left with a bunch of kids - assuming that we can keep them as well.
Sort the shit out for Friday and get us back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.