The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 464 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere recently in this thread I wrote that I thought that we were witnessing the beginning of the end for Smith whether quickly or slowly. The events of the summer, the rotten luck with injuries, the international shenanigans, let alone the rebuild going on is going to take a toll. And let’s not forget he is well over the average tenure of a premier league manager. I don’t want him gone , I want him to succeed. If he goes I won’t lose any sleep. I like him but I’m too old to really care now. I don’t idolise anyone in football anymore , the game has gone, the game has changed .

Maybe the team needs a new voice to hear. I dunno . We are not right though haven’t been all season and haven’t been since YKW left . It think it is a bit of a mess and we haven’t known what to do since YKW dropped his post euro bombshell because they thought he was staying. Our thinking has been muddled in our signings .

To reiterate i don‘t want him gone , it’s not time yet. And those that want him gone are going to be disappointed as he won’t be gone in the very immediate future of a few games .

But I will say this . Some are stooping low calling him a clown and a prick after last nights game .Bang out of order. He is neither. Get a fcuking grip on yourselves. He has done a fine job with what has been asked of him and should be considered as such in the final reckoning on his time here. Will he be good enough to take us where we want to go? ( where ever that is ?) . At the moment looking unlikely but he has come through sticky patches before ….

:clap: Pretty much sums it up for me mate. And yes, the disrespect shown to the guy from one or two after last night’s game was uncalled for. Criticise the bloke by all means but don’t understand why you’d feel the need to insult someone who’s played a huge part in laying some pretty solid foundations at the club over the past 3 years.

:clap: Pretty much sums it up for me mate. And yes, the disrespect shown to the guy from one or two after last night’s game was uncalled for. Criticise the bloke by all means but don’t understand why you’d feel the need to insult someone who’s played a huge part in laying some pretty solid foundations at the club over the past 3 years.
Yet some applauded and laughed when Bruce was served a Savoy cabbage . No difference

After carefully reading page after page on this thread I'm even more convinced Dean's the right man for the job and, for all his faults, we're lucky to have him.

Thank you , highlighted my point exactly

I haven’t a clue what the uncalled for abuse of Steve Bruce has got to do with the uncalled for abuse of Dean Smith..they’re both wrong…..but if your weird response is your way of justifying your abuse of the latter…bravo!

I haven’t a clue what the uncalled for abuse of Steve Bruce has got to do with the uncalled for abuse of Dean Smith..they’re both wrong…..but if your weird response is your way of justifying your abuse of the latter…bravo!
Did I single you out ? Bruce deserved as much credit for our promotion as Smith, this isn't personal to you

Bruce didn't do a great job - the club was an absolute state and he was as much to blame as the potless Tone.
Getting rid of Bruce should have been done sooner and even then there were excuses and that he was the best man for the job and who would do better.

History repeating innit - Smith has done a far better job but that is not to say his time also will come (and it's looking sooner rather than later atm).

Having said that I also doubt what the actual ambition of the owners is tbh - uninspiring summer transfer window building on hopeless winter deals - seems ticking over will do

Last edited:
This is a result game we have lost three on the bounce what's more worrying is not the fact that we lost it's the way we lost I have no issue with Dean on a personal level and I respect what he has done, what I do have an issue is his stubbornness to continue with a system that simply does not work.

No one can defend the fact he Dean's hesitancy to drop or move either Watkins or Ings has cost us valuable points, no one can deny that Deans picking Axel over Hause is a massive mistake not once but twice.

Dean has bought in new players and tried to show horn them into a system that does not suit the rest of the team, including Watkins, yes by all means try it but if it's not working change it.

I firmly believe that Dean and his staff should be setting up the team with the player's abilities in mind, not expecting them to fit around a system that allows two up top.

All I want is for the manager to make the most of what he has, Dean has not been doing this, it's almost like he has a point to prove and be damned what anybody else thinks.

I don't know many top-level managers that would have kept sending out and keeping players in a system does not work for the majority of the players on the pitch, I feel that Dean deserves criticism, and he deserves to be sacked if he continues to play the current system, like any other job if you get wrong over and over gain people let you go, football is no different.

I want Dean to succeed and want every Villa manger to succeed, but Dean is not above redress he either fixes the issues with the formation or he drops the players who are not performing, if he can't, we need someone who can be that next week, next month or next year.

Dean needs to look very hard at himself, if he has what it takes to be a success at this level prove it, he has had £300 million pounds to spend now do something with it.

Last edited:
Probably one of the last really charismatic managers, loved him especially when he came onto the pitch pre match asking for patience before we eventually signed Dean Saunders.
Should of been England manager as his record in knockout competitions, wherever he was ,was exceptional.
Also one of the best quotes I've heard after getting the sack " one day you're talking telephone numbers for Collymore, the next you're shopping for cauliflowers "
Legend in my eyes

Playing with two wing backs, that do not have either the pace or the technical ability to do so was a tragic mistake.
Not changing the formation after 15 minutes of being over run, was a mistake.
Not changing it after they scored the first, was a bigger mistake.
This to me, sums up the difference between a decent manager and one at the top of his game.

"Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has revealed his side were forced into a last-minute tactical change after seeing Real Madrid’s line-up on Tuesday night.

In his post-match press conference Tuchel confirmed he was not prepared for Real lining up in a 3-5-2 formation.

Speaking to reporters, he said: “So we prepared [for] a 4-3-3.
“When we saw the line-up we had a quick talk in the dressing room to slightly change who has to do what with the two strikers and the three in the middle.

“We had to adapt.”

Playing with two wing backs, that do not have either the pace or the technical ability to do so was a tragic mistake.
Not changing the formation after 15 minutes of being over run, was a mistake.
Not changing it after they scored the first, was a bigger mistake.
This to me, sums up the difference between a decent manager and one at the top of his game.

"Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has revealed his side were forced into a last-minute tactical change after seeing Real Madrid’s line-up on Tuesday night.

In his post-match press conference Tuchel confirmed he was not prepared for Real lining up in a 3-5-2 formation.

Speaking to reporters, he said: “So we prepared [for] a 4-3-3.
“When we saw the line-up we had a quick talk in the dressing room to slightly change who has to do what with the two strikers and the three in the middle.

“We had to adapt.”

Brace yourself for a 3-5-2 again !

Ah yes the bloke who left us in such a good state we had to play 3 right backs in a back 4 the game after he deservedly got the sack. Di Matteo signed a few that played in the promotion squad so maybe he deserves a share of the credit. Lambert signed Steer so give him props as well. Hutton wss signed by mcleish so there's him too. We'll figure out the percentages later.

Status
Not open for further replies.