The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 428 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post on here, although I’ve been reading for years.

When Dean Smith first joined I was pleased by his appointment for the level we were at, always loved the fact he was a fan and had a decent record in management. To be honest though, I thought he probably had a level, and couldn’t imagine him ever being world class. Obviously, he isn’t that (world class) yet, but his passion for the club, open approach, intelligent speech, and seeming ability to learn / continually improve are signs that that maybe, just maybe, he could be. Aston Villa’s Alex Ferguson? A long way to go, who knows what will happen, but there is cause for optimism as far as I am concerned.

Beyond this, having watched that interview, and in particular the bit where he talked about the fans (his hair standing on the back of his neck etc.) I genuinely got the feeling “here is a guy who is Villa through and through.” A genuine fan that I believe, will stick with us for better or for worse, as long as we will have him.

In my opinion, a teams manager and the management team around him are more important than its captain or any player.
He might not yet be 'world class' but he is better at arithmetic than the so called 'best manager in the world'. 🤣😂
Add to that he was successful at Walsall and Brentford on shoestring budgets rather than having a massive chequebook in his arse pocket at Barca, Bayern and Abu Dhabi, then he for me is the real deal.👍

When Dean Smith first joined I was pleased by his appointment for the level we were at, always loved the fact he was a fan and had a decent record in management. To be honest though, I thought he probably had a level, and couldn’t imagine him ever being world class. Obviously, he isn’t that (world class) yet, but his passion for the club, open approach, intelligent speech, and seeming ability to learn / continually improve are signs that that maybe, just maybe, he could be. Aston Villa’s Alex Ferguson? A long way to go, who knows what will happen, but there is cause for optimism as far as I am concerned.

Beyond this, having watched that interview, and in particular the bit where he talked about the fans (his hair standing on the back of his neck etc.) I genuinely got the feeling “here is a guy who is Villa through and through.” A genuine fan that I believe, will stick with us for better or for worse, as long as we will have him.

In my opinion, a teams manager and the management team around him are more important than its captain or any player.

Welcome Dan, but just remember I’m the original DanVilla and we’ll get along just fine :guns::ROFLMAO:

Lovely first post, nice and positive about the gaffer and no words like 'out of his depth' and 'clueless'.....a very encouraging start! :wahey:Welcome to Vital Villa Dan!

Considering how much work he put in to accomodate him, must feel as though it has all been thrown back in his face, which it has, so not surprising he was very flat.
I hope they all use that negative energy in a good way and this further galvanises the group. they all have something to prove now to show they aren't a one man team

:wave:

With you know who staying I think it was a given that this season was huge for Deano in terms of a real and sustained European and top 8 finish.
If Generic had stayed and with the additions (whether the three we have to replace him would have been in who knows) we have made so far, quite correctly nothing less than top 8 would have been acceptable, possibly top 7 .

So with the turmoil caused this summer and the need to rebuild, restyle and integrate has the expectation on Smith this season changed. I think it has. I think if he stabilises us soonest, integrates the post you know who style and formations and settles those new untested players while staying or improving on last seasons position its a fair shout.

Smith was genuinely down cast and appeared surprised and upset that Generic did what he did. I think he hadn't planned for this.

It's been a tough summer for a variety of reasons it doesn't feel right at the moment and I think he deserves time to get this sorted.

Clearly if it goes massively belly up and we are in bother down the lower end or looking like being in bother then that might be a different question as we can't afford the unthinkable. But a season like last season where consistently we were top half and the fact that the 'r' word wasn't on the agenda at any stage may well be a result given this summer. And while at the end of last season it wouldn't have been acceptable to us and Smith would be under pressure. If he does that this season given what's happened does it change the thinking around his tenure?

With you know who staying I think it was a given that this season was huge for Deano in terms of a real and sustained European and top 8 finish.
If Generic had stayed and with the additions (whether the three we have to replace him would have been in who knows) we have made so far, quite correctly nothing less than top 8 would have been acceptable, possibly top 7 .

So with the turmoil caused this summer and the need to rebuild, restyle and integrate has the expectation on Smith this season changed. I think it has. I think if he stabilises us soonest, integrates the post you know who style and formations and settles those new untested players while staying or improving on last seasons position its a fair shout.

Smith was genuinely down cast and appeared surprised and upset that Generic did what he did. I think he hadn't planned for this.

It's been a tough summer for a variety of reasons it doesn't feel right at the moment and I think he deserves time to get this sorted.

Clearly if it goes massively belly up and we are in bother down the lower end or looking like being in bother then that might be a different question as we can't afford the unthinkable. But a season like last season where consistently we were top half and the fact that the 'r' word wasn't on the agenda at any stage may well be a result given this summer. And while at the end of last season it wouldn't have been acceptable to us and Smith would be under pressure. If he does that this season given what's happened does it change the thinking around his tenure?
yep as I said he's been shit on by his right-hand men Terry and Snake2 right at the last minute

Fair points above.

I'll certainly be giving DS more slack this season, specially early doors.

I do feel though, with you know who leaving, time will show we are a stronger squad with, what DS says, adaptability with the squad, we will still do quite well this season. The incoming players and the growth of Chukkie, Philogene-Bidace and to a slightly lesser sense, Aaron Ramsey, will prove what strength we have...... if DS decides to use them as a squad.

Only time will tell, as always.

I'm hoping there'll be more progression again from the classes of 2019 and 2020, as well as any addition of new blood. Certainly one of the benefits of a young squad.
Yep, I don't see why we shouldn't improve. The world didn't stop just cos Grealish left. While there is an "unknown" factor to this season, I see no reason for us not to progress. I don't imagine Shit£h or Chelski will be rationalising their seasons, just because some players left and they bought in some new ones. I'm a Dean Smith fan, but he's fully aware that it's a cold, hard business he is in. I won't be baying for blood, but I want Villa to progress every single year. I'm certainly not going to give the team (including the coaches) a pass just because one player left.

dont really know how smith and terry got on, i would like to think terry was a good help, with all his experience, ,now smith as to move on and show us what he can do,seanie

I'm sure Terry had a lot to do with our defensive improvement. Hopefully we can continue without it. I think Shaky's all round experience will be a plus factor.

yep as I said he's been shit on by his right-hand men Terry and Snake2 right at the last minute

Better that Terry leaves us now rather than accept a managers job half way through the season. Its only a matter of time before it happens and at least we have plenty of time to prepare for it.

I'm sure Terry had a lot to do with our defensive improvement. Hopefully we can continue without it. I think Shaky's all round experience will be a plus factor.
Our main improvement came after the lockdown period where they moved the defense up a bit to close spaces in front of them. It is no credit on anybody really that it took the covid break to come up with that.

Before it all starts can I just make a plea for a bit of patience this season? We've done amazingly well under Deano in less than three seasons. We've now lost our main man - and it might take a little time to bed the new team structure in. I for one won't be getting on his back if we don't have it all our own way for the first few games.
That's all

I don't think he'll need it this season. He made a great point in his interview about how we now have numerous striking options rather than just 1. As well as we did last term we were actually handicapped going forward. We will score a lot of goals this season I'm sure of it and even with his short comings Smith won't find himself under any pressure.

We looked better, last season, when we upped the pace and took the game to the opposition. We made them worry about us. We need more of that this season. I’m sure DS will have them playing with greater intensity this year especially since the opposition won’t be able to concentrate on doubling up on our most influential player. Who do they pick on from this new look team?

Status
Not open for further replies.