The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 383 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a case for Deano being here long haul, it massively depends on what our owners want. I think if you want long term stability and improvement we stick with him. I am okay with the man learning on the job so long as he is showing it.

For me managers have to walk a fine line between persistence and stubbornness. If you do a Lampard and flip flop every week you're just spinning your wheels. I think a lot of experienced managers know that. Whereas other times if you're persisting with something for months and its simply not working you have to be able to recognize it.

Dean for me has showed a lot of character and development, even last year. He was blessed with the lockdown but lets be fair, he could have sat on his hands and done fuck all. I think he is a slower learner who wants more evidence and doesn't job to the conclusion that whatever happened will beneficial again.

Deano as the end of the day is more or less a "tried and true" manager. He will stick with what he knows unless he is proven wrong over and over again. For some of us that period is much shorter than for others and for Dean.

I think getting into Europe this season would be a disaster for next year but it would bring on his learning two or three seasons. He'd have to learn much faster about fatigue, squad rotation and effective/early usage of subs.

I can't see these owners falling for the "we need a bigger name manager" bollocks. Especially when the name linked is Stevie G who is only a big name because if his playing career.

If Smith goes it'll be someone from Europe who replaces him, not a glorified Neil Lennon.

At times he frustrates the hell out of me and other times I love him!

As long as he finally learns from his mistakes (and he has made more than a few) then nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see him do well and a successful Dean Smith means a successful Aston Villa and that's all that matters.

I still have my doubts but I'm pleased the board hasn't been hasty in changing and they have given him the time to show us if he really is the real deal.

It's up to you now Dean mate!?

just read that the owners are now wanting a bigger name as a manager .and i have to say as good as we were at the start of the season playing smiths tactics there are championship tactics and we fail to have a plan B
but i dont know who would be better suited and you have to give it to smith for getting in konsa/cash/olly all who have taken to life in the prem very well but we do need a few seasoned pros in there too
Well if he has got us ninth in the Premier League with Championship tactics just think what he will do when he gets his head around Prem tactics.

There is, of course, always the possibility of DS outgrowing us. In the real world managers are judged by their record, and on that measure Dean is doing fine. Remember, we sign players we can improve, not the finished article.

I'm puzzled by these mythical top managers who we should be signing. Ancelotti is a very good manager, but we've been closing the gap on Everton. Jose is a very good manager, but he hasn't been an instant success at Spurs. Improvement takes time, everywhere.

There is, of course, always the possibility of DS outgrowing us. In the real world managers are judged by their record, and on that measure Dean is doing fine. Remember, we sign players we can improve, not the finished article.

I'm puzzled by these mythical top managers who we should be signing. Ancelotti is a very good manager, but we've been closing the gap on Everton. Jose is a very good manager, but he hasn't been an instant success at Spurs. Improvement takes time, everywhere.
And it's not like "top managers" just pop into existence fully formed. They were up and coming once and I wonder if their teams at the time were wondering if the club had "outgrown" them.

Deano has improved us year on year exactly as he was asked if not quicker. He's young and not only English but a born and bred Villan. If anyone wants rid of Deano then you're totally banned from ever complaining the magic's gone out the game. Banned.

At times he frustrates the hell out of me and other times I love him!

As long as he finally learns from his mistakes (and he has made more than a few) then nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see him do well and a successful Dean Smith means a successful Aston Villa and that's all that matters.

I still have my doubts but I'm pleased the board hasn't been hasty in changing and they have given him the time to show us if he really is the real deal.

It's up to you now Dean mate!?
Dean puzzled me last season with his selection of twe usually ineffective wide men and a one man defensive minded midfielder who, not surprisingly, was rarely Marvellous. Still think wide men not premiership quality and we look a tighter unit when Marvellous sits in front of the back four. Another season at the top level means we can grow again. The skullduggery of Liverppool,Man City and Man u is fired by the realization that the likes of the Villa,Everton,Hammers and Newcastle are capable of putting their houses in order and challenging what is effectively a cartel. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.