The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 375 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Deano has said the reason is because they are going to bed at 2am because they’re playing games.

But you’re right it might benefit in other ways only if they’re getting enough sleep, if they’re getting up at 8am and only having 6 hours sleep then it’s a flawed system especially when he mentions how important sleep is for recovery.
Blue screens before bed are a bad idea and can disturb your circadian rhythm. Hopefully these players are at least having some sort of wind down period after gaming.

The worry for me is that when his style of play loses its effectiveness he is reluctant or unable to change things. We brought five quality players in this season, almost half a team, and one of them, Martinez, has probably made the biggest difference to our results from last year. When you are safe from relegation it’s a time to play without fear but for us it’s been a time to regress.

If that story is true, my estimation of Dean drops by half.

Blue light has a dark side
Although it is environmentally friendly, blue light can affect your sleep and potentially cause disease. Until the advent of artificial lighting, the sun was the major source of lighting, and people spent their evenings in (relative) darkness. Now, in much of the world, evenings are illuminated, and we take our easy access to all those lumens pretty much for granted.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Blue light has a dark side
Although it is environmentally friendly, blue light can affect your sleep and potentially cause disease. Until the advent of artificial lighting, the sun was the major source of lighting, and people spent their evenings in (relative) darkness. Now, in much of the world, evenings are illuminated, and we take our easy access to all those lumens pretty much for granted.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side
Please tell me they’re bright enough to turn the blue filter off?

The worry for me is that when his style of play loses its effectiveness he is reluctant or unable to change things. We brought five quality players in this season, almost half a team, and one of them, Martinez, has probably made the biggest difference to our results from last year. When you are safe from relegation it’s a time to play without fear but for us it’s been a time to regress.
Going backwards faster than an Italian tank, I want to see how he turns it around

The thing you learn in life probably in your 20’s is that a good sleep pattern is like nothing else for your energy and recovery. Surely professional footballers are educated in all this sort of stuff at a very early age. The reason they earn tens of thousands per week is because they have reached the top of the game, but they need to perform - they aren’t earning that to be a pro on Call of Duty or whatever else they play.

I get the logic of training in the afternoon or later in the day, but I don’t think players staying up till 2am playing games and lying in til 10am is a great idea. Certainly doesn’t work for me anyway.

We live in unusual times. Apart from training and matches, most players are going back to probably an empty flat. Something like Xbox can give a bit of light relief. I wouldn't worry about it.

We live in unusual times. Apart from training and matches, most players are going back to probably an empty flat. Something like Xbox can give a bit of light relief. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure Wenger or Ferguson would have loved it! I think if true it's a complete joke. What's the point of all the massive expenditure on physical care and diet that they get as top athletes if their sleep pattern is to pot? For £2 million a year I think I could put up with playing for a couple of hours less. I can just imagine what Ron would have thought of it. Come on Dean get a grip!

We agree on most things, and to be fair, it isn't a major one for me, or a worry, but it does look like pandering.

Society in general does far too much of this.

They are very well paid, they are paid to be top athletes, staying up until the early hours is not part of being a top athlete.

I do wonder when this tail wagging the dog (in general, not just football) will stop!!

Where is the old-fashioned discipline gone when our players are officially allowed to start training at 12.00 Midday.

It sounds more like a holiday camp lacking discipline that appears to transmit itself onto the pitch where a lack of discipline and motivation is evident over the full 90 minutes of games hence a good half and a bad half which for me anyway, is totally unacceptable from professional footballers.

I wonder how many other clubs in the Premier League start training sessions at 12.00 midday and is it working for them?

Last edited:
If we were currently on a good run of form, people would be calling Deano a visionary who's tuned into modern methods with training schedules.
It just seems like another excuse to beat them with while we're on a bad run.
Are they all up until 2am playing the xbox? Unlikely, although I'd guess a few of them may do occasionally - its what a lot of lads in their 20's will do. You soon realise pretty quickly not to play it too late at night, otherwise it disrupts your sleep and concentration levels and most dont need a medical expert telling them this. I cant see the players would be any different to anyone else in this.
I'm more inclined to agree with the idea that we never have kick offs in the morning, so why not condition them to training at similar times to matches. Makes more sense than getting them in for 9:30 and finishing at 2

It just seems like another excuse to beat them with while we're on a bad run.
Are they all up until 2am playing the xbox? Unlikely, although I'd guess a few of them may do occasionally - its what a lot of lads in their 20's will do.

You’re right, if we were performing well it wouldn’t matter. Unfortunately, as we’re under performing we can hardly say the move of the training is working. If Pep has changed his training schedule to support nightly computer games sessions I would be more likely to believe it’s visionary.

You’re right, if we were performing well it wouldn’t matter. Unfortunately, as we’re under performing we can hardly say the move of the training is working. If Pep has changed his training schedule to support nightly computer games sessions I would be more likely to believe it’s visionary.

As long as we are 9th, I don't think anyone will be taking any of this seriously. If you ask me, it is okay for the players to do all this if the performances and results on the pitch are satisfactory. However, currently our performances especially have been bad so I agree questions need to be asked. Frankly, once Jack is back and our performances improve, all this will be ignored.

We agree on most things, and to be fair, it isn't a major one for me, or a worry, but it does look like pandering.

Society in general does far too much of this.

They are very well paid, they are paid to be top athletes, staying up until the early hours is not part of being a top athlete.

I do wonder when this tail wagging the dog (in general, not just football) will stop!!

Sounds like they are a bunch of students strolling into lectures, rather than pro athletes to me. Completely changed my mind about this, especially catering to a few players who are immature. They have shown they need discipline rather than pandering to their needs.
I think they need a regular pattern of sleeping at night and being awake in the day, it works for the rest of us expect the unlucky people who have to do shifts, its also not fair on the lads who have a normal life ie a family and there must be a few of those.
Immature kids playing games until 2am really need to be stamped out regardless, I actually forgot that there are other staff these nonsense effects that will have wives and children who have normal schedules to meet. Canteen staff, Physios, cleaners medical people coaches etc not just the chav types

Status
Not open for further replies.