The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 374 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think the standard of crossing is so poor across the board. Not sure why but really noticing it now . The amount never clearing near post whether from in play or set piece is shocking. I think coaches are over complicating things.

I just think the standard of crossing is so poor across the board. Not sure why but really noticing it now . The amount never clearing near post whether from in play or set piece is shocking. I think coaches are over complicating things.

I don’t think we attack the ball. Mings a central defender at 6’4” should be getting on the end of some of them. Terry would have had a few by now.

I don’t think we attack the ball. Mings a central defender at 6’4” should be getting on the end of some of them. Terry would have had a few by now.

I see it as a chicken and egg scenario. I don't think you get people committing to attacking the ball without knowing that they will consistently receive a quality ball. I think a lot of us would say we don't know where the ball is going to go from corner to corner. We've had at least 8 different takers of set pieces this season. So how would the players know what to expect?

If we did attack it better maybe we would get on more crosses but I do think the quality of delivery is lacking. Its a tricky one.

Martin Laursen was always considered one of the best attacking headers of the ball but he had Ashley Young swinging in the ball. So again which one of those things is more important?

I agree mate Mings doesn't attack the ball at either end of the field for a player of his height, he's no Martin Laursen that's for sure in the air but few are.
I think he marks space in defence and the complete opposite in attack where he gets himself marked. Konsa seems to time his runs much better but neither scores enough, Elmo is just as much a threat and he's not regarded as a header of the ball. House seems to be the one who gets his head to corners but he is exceptional in the air, rarely loses a header.

Just realised this is the Dean Smith thread , erm Dean was a centre back so back on topic

Don’t know if it’s been posted elsewhere but what do people think of the comments he apparently made about training schedules, saying they used to practice at 10:30 but because players are playing Xbox and PlayStation until 2am
and not go they’ve changed it to 12pm to get more out of the lads...

That’s one way of keeping good with the players but it hardly shouts professionalism.

https://www.givemesport.com/1658849...aston-villa-from-how-teams-normally-train?amp

I can only imagine that's been more a reaction to Covid and the fixture list lately. Let the players put their hair down a bit more to hopefully come back fresher and more focused?

Don’t know if it’s been posted elsewhere but what do people think of the comments he apparently made about training schedules, saying they used to practice at 10:30 but because players are playing Xbox and PlayStation until 2am

That’s one way of keeping good with the players but it hardly shouts professionalism.

https://www.givemesport.com/1658849...aston-villa-from-how-teams-normally-train?amp

Pathetic.

Why not train at the time you play ? Gets the body clock sorted. Good management I say.

I did read something about that ages ago - it was performance and habit related so in a normal fixture list a night game would receive preparation at different hours pre-game so the KO didn't shock the system.

Not sure that applies at the mo with the tighter fixture list but yes, could also be that.

I did read something about that ages ago - it was performance and habit related so in a normal fixture list a night game would receive preparation at different hours pre-game so the KO didn't shock the system.

Not sure that applies at the mo with the tighter fixture list but yes, could also be that.

No Deano has said the reason is because they are going to bed at 2am because they’re playing games.

But you’re right it might benefit in other ways only if they’re getting enough sleep, if they’re getting up at 8am and only having 6 hours sleep then it’s a flawed system especially when he mentions how important sleep is for recovery.

No Deano has said the reason is because they are going to bed at 2am because they’re playing games.

But you’re right it might benefit in other ways only if they’re getting enough sleep, if they’re getting up at 8am and only having 6 hours sleep then it’s a flawed system especially when he mentions how important sleep is for recovery.
This may explain how many half asleep, dozy players we've had over the years.

Can this possibly be true? If it is, am I the only one who finds this concerning! Players from the past used to go out on the piss but that didn’t mean the training was put back to cope with it! Now they get paid millions a year and put playing on computers more important than being disciplined enough to be in the best condition. It also shows Dean to be a thoroughly nice bloke but to soft by half.

It’s such a crazy statistic, when you take just Hereford and Leyton Orient, according to wiki he scored a goal once every seven games. Some strikers would be pleased with that, it’s an incredible record.

Well Emile Heskey scored 1 in 10 for us with Ashley Young, Milner and Downing supplying him so maybe we'd have been better off signing Deano back then and sticking him up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.