The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 322 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit like Leeds under Bielsa. His first season he came in and wore them out. A big reason for their collapse for the last part of the season was the players were completely knackered and burnt out from his style of play and his training methods.

But they adapted, got used to the intense training, became far fitter, and won it at the second bite.

Just goes to show things take a bit of time, more than a season in some cases.

Not really. Bielsa kept his players at the same game plan, Smith and the players gave up after one game!

The point I’m making is that I can’t see Smith being able to go back to his plan A as there’s not enough time before the season starts to rest the players and then build the required fitness in time.

Yeah, I mean fancy getting to the Champions League final then losing to Liverpool. That wouldn't be good enough for us :lol:

Actually it wouldn't.

Well , it would for us now bearing in mind where we were , the last 10 years of utter shite etc but.....
Give us the time Spurs had under Poch with their players, the consistent euro qualification, new stadium then I fully expect that as as fans we would be asking serious questions of a manager who consistently missed out on winning anything.

I think anyone who says different is telling porkies bearing in mind the lack of patience shown this season to the manager who got us promoted after 3 years fannying around in the EFL and the want it here and now modern fan mentality.

Last edited:
Every couple of days I come on here and someone will be mentioning Poch for the Villa job, and I just cannot see a single reason why any fan with even a limited knowledge of the game would believe that he would come to Villa at the moment. In two years time maybe if we progress but a very nearly relegated team with unknown owners at the bottom of the league? Why would he?

If a big club comes in for him, no reason. If not, there are only so many jobs going, he'll want to come back to the game, he will know even if you don't (!) the size of Aston Villa if someone gets it right, we have billionaire owners and a platform to now push on. Villa Park. Great training facilities. Amazing fans.

Apart from that, no reason.

Yes if we get things right in the next few years, but at the moment we are a relegation threatened prem club (just) who's recent history is of struggling in the Prem or the championship, who have been taken over by two owners who appear to be doing the right thing but are still very new. I hope we can in the not too distant future attract managers from the top clubs.

Yes if we get things right in the next few years, but at the moment we are a relegation threatened prem club (just) who's recent history is of struggling in the Prem or the championship, who have been taken over by two owners who appear to be doing the right thing but are still very new. I hope we can in the not too distant future attract managers from the top clubs.

Poch isn't a manager from a top club. He's a top manager without a club. There's a difference.

There doesn't look like being any vacancies for managers in PL top clubs at the moment. In terms of potential we're probably the next best thing.

Having said that, if a change was being made I think we'd have heard by now. So looks like DS is staying. It's possible the owners are playing more emphasis on how the club is set up, what training facilities there are, how the overall football side is managed (Lange), and so on, than who the actual manager is. That ties in with the way Wes operates. If so, they may be underestimating the impact a top manager could have with us.

Most people will do almost anything if the money is right. Remember the fake Sheikh who spoke to Eriksen in his prime? He was keen to take the cash. Same with players. Scott Parker said after gaining promotion, that they mustn’t make the same mistakes as last time, building a foundation of sand. I think the owners backing Smith are showing they are trying build something solid, something with a dose of integrity mixed in. Not as exciting as throwing money around but exciting nevertheless.

The problem with Smith tho is will top players sign for him. Top managers attract top players who want to play for them.

AND to attract top quality, agreed, top manager, but also, you have to be able to keep hold of your top players. Can we do that? This transfer window will tell us that !

Status
Not open for further replies.