The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 321 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Eddie Howe and he has done amazing but he'd be no different to Deano. He isnt an elite level manager and therefore its a pointless exchange. I would only consider upgrading to a Poch or someone of that ilk.

Odd really the press Eddie Howe gets -
He had plenty of time and money at Bournemouth and his five seasons in the Prem amounted to
4 seasons of 42 to 46 points - so consistent at least
and this seasons thankfully pitiful effort

pretty modest return really

Odd really the press Eddie Howe gets -
He had plenty of time and money at Bournemouth and his five seasons in the Prem amounted to
4 seasons of 42 to 46 points - so consistent at least
and this seasons thankfully pitiful effort

pretty modest return really

Pathetic really. I mean, who has he beaten? ... oh, us! Twice.

Predictable. In both matches we didn't seem to know whether to defend or attack and did neither. Bournemouth were good enough to capitalise on that.

The players weren’t good enough but certainly not fit enough to play the way Dean tried to set up at the start of the season.

Remember the Spurs game - took it to them went on the offensive, pressed them out of shape. Then after 60 mins they were knackered, Spurs made changes and blew us off the park.

A bit like Leeds under Bielsa. His first season he came in and wore them out. A big reason for their collapse for the last part of the season was the players were completely knackered and burnt out from his style of play and his training methods.

But they adapted, got used to the intense training, became far fitter, and won it at the second bite.

Just goes to show things take a bit of time, more than a season in some cases.

A bit like Leeds under Bielsa. His first season he came in and wore them out. A big reason for their collapse for the last part of the season was the players were completely knackered and burnt out from his style of play and his training methods.

But they adapted, got used to the intense training, became far fitter, and won it at the second bite.

Well lets hope that this was our first season and things improve second season around.
Our real weak area I felt last season, one of a number in fact, was our bench, where we never seemed to have anyone you could bring on that would change the game.
We always seemed to go like for like, and as our talent pool was fairly shallow at best it rarely changed anything, just more of the same but on fresh legs.
If this five subs thing stays Dean is going to have to manage the bench better next season and see the bench as an integeral part of the matchday squad, and use it better.

Think you know that I dont want to get rid of Dean but if things dont work out.....

If you were a "top" manager like Poch, you should be gagging to take the reins of a club like Villa. If you follow a top manager into a top job IE Mourinho to United you have little to gain (success expected) and everything to lose (as was proved).

Come to a club like Villa (massive sleeping giant). Extremely wealthy owners. The chance to become a legend.

Yes, good post, agreed. They also have egos, (they need egos), and people know the size of this place if someone gets it right. As said, it is about selling the vision... but also, obviously, paying the top salaries and assuring ambitious managers of the transfer funds available.

That has been used against Bielsa at most clubs he's managed. I do wonder if Leeds might have had a similar issue again were it not for the 3 month break. It would definitely have refreshed any of his players that were becoming jaded.

That has been used against Bielsa at most clubs he's managed. I do wonder if Leeds might have had a similar issue again were it not for the 3 month break. It would definitely have refreshed any of his players that were becoming jaded.
Can you think of another club who benefitted from the break?

I like Eddie Howe and he has done amazing but he'd be no different to Deano. He isnt an elite level manager and therefore its a pointless exchange. I would only consider upgrading to a Poch or someone of that ilk.
Pleased Smith stays as Boss but tbf to Howe,that was some achievement keeping the Cherries in the Premier for several seasons.

Definitely have to take the break into account, but surely the squad must be fitter if they've stuck with his ways.

It will be interesting to see how fit they are next season.

Pleased Smith stays as Boss but tbf to Howe,that was some achievement keeping the Cherries in the Premier for several seasons.

It was, take nothing away he did an amazing job but is it good enough for Aston Villa? I don't think so. There is a point in time where you have to ask questions of your manager when achievement stalls.

Bournemouth's board were in an incredibly difficult position after everything Howe had done how do you replace him. The modern game demands constant growth much the same way a corporation does.

No matter what size you are just staying in the league stops becoming an achievement and the same for midtable finishes, top 6 finishes etc. You have to at some point push on.

Status
Not open for further replies.